Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav-4 Valuation

jamess2

Hello everyone - I am just about to join the Rav-4 club and wondered if someone could guide me as to whether this is a good deal (or not!) I have used whatcar and also wisebuyers and there is a £2,000 difference in their valuations so I am stuck. (what car says £7400, widebuyers £5500)

"TOYOTA RAV-4 2.0 NV, 5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Petrol, 2003 52 Reg, 52,000 miles, Metallic Silver. Power assisted steering, Air conditioning, Electric windows, ABS, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Adjustable seats, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Remote locking, Roof rails, Radio/Cassette, Body Coloured Bumpers, CD Multichanger. Insurance Group:10, EXCELLENT CONDITION. 6 Months Best in Class Warranty Upgrade to 12 Months add £100.00. Covers Majority of Parts and Labour. MOT Jan 09.

£6,995

Any help most appreciated!

RAV4

2.0 Petrol

NV

2003 52

Glass's Guide

Excellent condition £4230

Average condition £3790

Below average condition £3250

Retail £6130

:thumbsup:

RAV4

2.0 Petrol

NV

2003 52

Glass's Guide

Excellent condition £4230

Average condition £3790

Below average condition £3250

Retail £6130

Thanks a lot! Quite a bit lower than it says then! Is retail just from a garage?

Retail Value is the 'dealer asking price' or 'windscreen price'. It is not necessarily the price a consumer would actually pay, as it may be the subject of negotiation, discount or an extra allowance on the value of your own car. It will also vary depending on any special offers applicable at the time, condition, length of warranty and any options and extras that may be fitted.

Its a buyers market out there - = you are in charge.

And theres loads of RAVs for sale all over the place so plenty to choose.

Thanks guys, I am guessing i'd be daft to pay over the book price for anything (private or trade) - is that the general rule?

PS: I phoned up the seller in question here and they told me "you can't trust glass's guides etc, we will come down a few hundred but not to the guide price" - I don't think i'll buy it now.

Thanks guys, I am guessing i'd be daft to pay over the book price for anything (private or trade) - is that the general rule?

PS: I phoned up the seller in question here and they told me "you can't trust glass's guides etc, we will come down a few hundred but not to the guide price" - I don't think i'll buy it now.

Of course they will say that. You show them your interested in buying it and they will negotiate... To say they don't trust Glass's guide is just salesman speak and rubbish... bet if you had a car to sell to them thier get the Glass's guide book out and value it...

don't be put off by this.. if you really want it and it seems a good vehicle..make them an offer...as mentioned above.."It's a byers market" as prices are all over the place....

I phoned up the seller in question here and they told me "you can't trust glass's guides etc,

lol3.gif

Walk away!

I'd not give them almost 7k for an NV on a 53 if it were diesel let alone petrol! Book on my 53 Diesel NRG is 5.5k trade , 7k for an older petrol with the same miles is criminal.

I'd not give them almost 7k for an NV on a 53 if it were diesel let alone petrol! Book on my 53 Diesel NRG is 5.5k trade , 7k for an older petrol with the same miles is criminal.

Hehe and here's me going to pay £6500 and thinking if they said yes I got a deal. Glad I checked here first!

They said they'd get back to discuss it as I said I wanted it still but they haven't...think that tells me everything I need to know.

Back to looking I guess!

One more thing to keep in mind, the Glass’s guide is the tradesman’s bible when it comes to buying and selling cars.

Reminds me of an episode of "Minder" with Arther Daley.

Buying a Lotus ... "can't go by the guide, bottoms dropped out the market, can;t shift 'em"

Selling the Lotus on ...."can't go by the guide, so much demand they are selling £1,000 o more above book"

:rolleyes:

2 months ago I bought that same spec Rav4 for £5700.00. The only difference was that it had 28k on the clock and the colour was beige. At the time I was a bit tired of looking and bargaining and so decided to pay the man. Looking back I reckon I could of got another 4 - 500 knocked off.

Has discussed on other recent threads, the used car market, especially large cars or those even perceived to be large cars / 4x4's etc., is about to implode. My guess is this seller is having a last roll of the dice at "last years" prices before the bottom falls out of the market.

You should be aiming to buy well below current published guide price because all the guides are stuggling to keep up with falling prices.

Reminds me of an episode of "Minder" with Arther Daley.

Buying a Lotus ... "can't go by the guide, bottoms dropped out the market, can;t shift 'em"

Selling the Lotus on ...."can't go by the guide, so much demand they are selling £1,000 o more above book"

:rolleyes:

Sure lot's of people on here have heard this but I always love it - Lotus, Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious!

Reminded of this the other evening listening to Chris Evans during his "Women's minute" slot. He asked this lady where she was and she said she had just picked her car from the garage. And what was she driving ..........a Lotus! :lol::lol:

Fair do's though.....it was an old 1960's or 70's Lotus. :thumbsup:

PS Only jealous because I'm not agile enough these days to even think about get into a Lotus Exige :wub::wheelchair::lol:

Ok - here is another one. I can't find this model in the book for some reason.

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/classicdd....92028134_1a.jpg

The Luna is an Irish spec model - Roberts better half has a Luna I believe. No idea if that is a good price of not (seems not too bad actually), but it is tidy looking RAV4 and I do like the two-tone interior

I don't think so - howevere being an 'import' you could find some insurers will try to load the premium a little. Could be worth getting a couple of quotes for this and the UK version to check.

One key difference in the Luna compared to the equivalent UK car is that the Luna is a 2WD, not 4WD - you have to consider if that is important to you. I think also that it is likely to have a 1.8L rather then a 2L engine.

The key spec looks similar to the NV so I don't think you are missing out on much compared on the kind of car you initially looked at.

I would think that you could use the fact that it is an import and mechanically a lower spec then the typical UK car as a good bargaining tool to get that price down a decent amount if you like the car enough to consider buying. The way fuel prices are going, I don't see having a smaller engine and 2WD much of a downer at all, but don't tell the salesman that!

I don't see having a smaller engine and 2WD much of a downer at all, but don't tell the salesman that!

:lol::lol::thumbsup:

Buy private and then buy a Toyota extended warranty for about £500, They are the same warranty

Besides which a Petrol Rav 4.2 is not exactly an unreliable car

I bought Rav 2002 2.0VX 5dr for £5600 with 59k miles, 3 mths ago and as said the bottom is about to fall out of this market sector so buy carefully

Presumably the "drop in prices" will ONLY apply to cars registered March 2001 onwards ...??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links