Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Repaired Cylinder Head Question

JMorr

Hi all. I'm in the looking at buying a 1997 Landcruiser Colorado VX 3.0 TD. The cambelt and head have been replaced at some stage. Looks to be pristine (from photos). Should I avoid this or would the replaced head be ok. Any advice would be appreciated.

Buyer beware. That's how I would look at it, ask for invoices for repair time/labour & parts. Make sure when viewing vehicle engine is cold before start up & needle not going to high after a good run. Check for water in oil & visa - versa. If private purchase you don't really have much come back if problems arise after purchase.

If in any doubt just walk away, plenty more vehicles on sale. Just checked Carzone ( Comercial ? ) for vehicles, site showing 20 odd vehicles around same age for sale.

Buyer beware. That's how I would look at it, ask for invoices for repair time/labour & parts. Make sure when viewing vehicle engine is cold before start up & needle not going to high after a good run. Check for water in oil & visa - versa. If private purchase you don't really have much come back if problems arise after purchase.

If in any doubt just walk away, plenty more vehicles on sale. Just checked Carzone ( Comercial ? ) for vehicles, site showing 20 odd vehicles around same age for sale.

Thanks for the reply beagh.

I'm specifically looking for an 8 Seater Colorado VX (leather for power-hosing after the wife & 4 kids :) ) 97/98 due to budget and these seem to be few and far between in the ROI. The one I'm looking at is in the UK. I've considered the Nissan Patrol but among other things, the extra seat in the cruiser wins out.

I spoke to the seller and he says he has all the receipts for the job but he didn't know why the head had to be replaced as it was done by the previous owner. It's listed as a trade sale but I would be treating it as a private sale.

I wouldnt be too worried . A lot of the 1KZ TE get head cracks at around 200000 klms. My brother's company car,KZJ95 had the head replaced and it had been well maintained in the companies own maintenance bay.It did quite a few more klms after the repair

IMO ,if it has high klms a replaced head is a bonus

Thanks guys. If it checks out ok on the day I go to see it, I think I'll take my chances and go for it. I'll post back my findings.

As promised, an update on the cruiser with the repaired head.

I went to see and subsequently purchased the cruiser on Tursday. It is absolutely MINT !!. A credit to the 3 previous owners. Clifford Concept 650 alarm and Witter Towbar as a bonus. I've clocked about 700 miles on it since in mixed driving and traffic conditions and all seems well so far. I have to say, I'm well pleased with it. A hell of a lot of 4x4 for 3.6k GBP. Thanks again for the advice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links