Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Engine Stalling

Darklighter

Hi all,

Only seem to post when I have a problem LOL! :(

I have a RAV 4 x reg/2000 2.0 VVTI 85K.

My problem is that the car has started to die on me when I either slow down at a junction or if I am sitting in que. Also when driving along the road the engine "coughs" and splutters and then is okay for a while or at low speeds cuts out.

This problem started on Saturday 21 June. I checked the EML, had a code P1135 which indicated lamda sensor also had RAC out and he confirmed same diagnosis but cold not fix problem.

Took car to garage - Toyota Franchise not main dealer - today they confirmed that I needed a new sensor. Grand cost £246 inc fitting.

They brought car round for me to drive off and as it was idling it started to splutter / cut out like previous. Garage guy said see how you go may need to bed in the sensor. Drove home had similiar problems like Saturday - coughs as driving / dies when idling at about 4-600 rpm or slowing down at junction.

One point : is that I was diagnosed at needing a new cat about 8 months after engine missfire and a new coil pack was fitted, still passed MOT 2 weeks ago though :rolleyes: .

No codes are showing on EML at present.

What could be causing these problems.

All help gratefully received to point garage guy in right direction and get RAV better again as no fun to drive at present.

Nick

Hi all,

Only seem to post when I have a problem LOL! :(

I have a RAV 4 x reg/2000 2.0 VVTI 85K.

My problem is that the car has started to die on me when I either slow down at a junction or if I am sitting in que. Also when driving along the road the engine "coughs" and splutters and then is okay for a while or at low speeds cuts out.

This problem started on Saturday 21 June. I checked the EML, had a code P1135 which indicated lamda sensor also had RAC out and he confirmed same diagnosis but cold not fix problem.

Took car to garage - Toyota Franchise not main dealer - today they confirmed that I needed a new sensor. Grand cost £246 inc fitting.

They brought car round for me to drive off and as it was idling it started to splutter / cut out like previous. Garage guy said see how you go may need to bed in the sensor. Drove home had similiar problems like Saturday - coughs as driving / dies when idling at about 4-600 rpm or slowing down at junction.

One point : is that I was diagnosed at needing a new cat about 8 months after engine missfire and a new coil pack was fitted, still passed MOT 2 weeks ago though :rolleyes: .

No codes are showing on EML at present.

What could be causing these problems.

All help gratefully received to point garage guy in right direction and get RAV better again as no fun to drive at present.

Nick

Hi,try the easy things first could be something as stupid as a blocked fuel filter.

Update on stalling,

Took to local toyotal garage, they took it for a spin, stalled with them driving - at least they knew what i said was true!

They checked all obvious signs in engine bay and then looked at my CAT system - had problems on and off with EML for months since coil went.

When they lloed at the CAT they found that the inside on the honeycomb has broken down and particles are clogging up the main exhaust system hence the loss of power / coughs and stalling.

Having a new CAT, centre pipe and back box fitted ( this was a warning on MOT as corroded and will fail soon ).

All in all an expensive week. At least a new system will keep my RAV happy and motoring again and the garage is fitting all this for free and giving me a curtesy car at night to get home FOC due to a delay at Toyota on rear box.

Nick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links