Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Big Hello And Some Advice Please

ricky_83

Hi All,

My name is Richard, and I am in the market for a 140 Celica vvti. I currently drive an 01 225 Audi TT, but am wanting to get a car thats a little bit cheaper to run, but still has the looks of a sports coupe so the celica sounds like a perfect compromise.

I've heard that the Celicas are very reliable, but I have only ever owned Audi's and am not sure what sort of things I should be looking at? Ideally I would like to spend between 5-6k and hope the car will have <50k miles on the clock.

Sort of questions I have are:

How much is a service normally (roughly)

How good is the stereo

When does the cambelt need changing (age/mileage)

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Richard

Hi All,

My name is Richard, and I am in the market for a 140 Celica vvti. I currently drive an 01 225 Audi TT, but am wanting to get a car thats a little bit cheaper to run, but still has the looks of a sports coupe so the celica sounds like a perfect compromise.

I've heard that the Celicas are very reliable, but I have only ever owned Audi's and am not sure what sort of things I should be looking at? Ideally I would like to spend between 5-6k and hope the car will have <50k miles on the clock.

Sort of questions I have are:

How much is a service normally (roughly)

How good is the stereo

When does the cambelt need changing (age/mileage)

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Richard

If your getting a facelift model reliability should be good as the seem to have fixed the oil issue ( allthough I`m sure someone willreport having oil probs with facelift)

Service costs I`m not sure as I`ve only had mine a few months and it was just serviced but guessing £150 ish

I have style pack which came with a Toyota 50 watt (Woooo) Sub and it was still crap, changed it for a MP3 compat head unit and a proper sub in the boot

Dont think it has a cambelt .... its a chain, should last life of care if serviced well

Im sure the other lads with more experiance will reply better :D I`m only a Noob

Good luck

Mike

Hi Richard & wttc.

Mike is correct in that all Gen 7's have a Chain.

Servicing prices vary quite a lot but as a ball park I'd say around £130 for an Intermediate and £300 for a Full Service. The Head Units are OK, but many owners upgrade their ICE anyway.

The most vital piece of advise I can give you is to buy a face lift. These were introduced in the Autumn of 2002 and have a Toyota branded H/U instead of the Sony in the pre face lift. Problems with the 140 are corrosion on the alloys and the inside faces of the Discs. Good luck with your search, you WILL find a face lift for £6K as it really is a buyer's market ATM, but you might not get the "Premium" Pack (Leather/Sunroof/Climate) for that money.

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the replies. I will definitely look for the facelift version, and good to hear it has a chain rather then a belt :) Just out of interest, what is the oil issue on the pre facelift version? Is it just that it goes through alot of it?

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the replies. I will definitely look for the facelift version, and good to hear it has a chain rather then a belt :) Just out of interest, what is the oil issue on the pre facelift version? Is it just that it goes through alot of it?

If yo do a search for the oil problem you should get the info you need, it was the pre facelift that had this problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links