Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking Noise....is It Worth Getting Fixed?

paulmel

Hi all,

Have a problem with our "old" Rav that I've meant to address but finding the time/money has been an issue (especially as we've been busy enjoying the "new" Rav !)

Anyway, old Rav is a 95 2.0 Auto petrol import.

A knocking noise developed a while ago that is slowly getting worse. It doesn't appear when driving in a straight line, only when cornering.

It seems to be loudest and greater in frequency at low speeds.

The best scenario I can think of to describe it is, if you imagine a large roundabout, if you had come to enter the roundabout from a standstill, then when setting off, the knock would start,getting louder and faster until the auto box jumped to the next (2nd ?) gear, then would stop.

If you approached the same roundabout at speed, i.e. the traffic was clear from the right, then the noise wouldn't appear, although the route or "curve" you were taking would be exactly the same.

It also seems to be worse the further the steering wheel is turned

It also does it on both left and right turns of steering wheel when, for example, parking in tight places.

Now although we love this car,it has only done 98,000 K M and it has just passed its MOT without a thing wrong (not bad for a 13 year old !!!) we have to be realistic.

Anyone got any ideas?

Would this be a job a mechanic would take days to find the fault, then quote me a mad price for parts and labour?

If so then I'm afraid to say that it will have to go, or even more sadly, run it till it packs up, which seems criminal as everything else is spot on.

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Hi...

Sounds like it could be a CV joint (Constant Velocity joint) on one of the front drive shafts. It means getting under the vehicle and checking for 'play' in the joint(s). When they are worn they normally growl/grind more when you increase the the steering lock when in motion. Also check if there is any evidence of grease escaping from the CV gator (rubber cover). This will accelerate the joint wear if it is split and losing lubricant (moly-grease)!

Probably a moderately priced job for a mechanic if you can't do it yourself. Anyhow... you could always say to the mechanic... you suspect a CV joint... he will be less inclined to rip you off if you sound like you know what you are talking about :)

If it is the CV joint(s) it is certainly worth doing to prolong the life of the car... plus it could be dangerous if left to long without maintenance. Any unusual noise on a car should be investigated.

DaveH

Hi all,

Have a problem with our "old" Rav that I've meant to address but finding the time/money has been an issue (especially as we've been busy enjoying the "new" Rav !)

A knocking noise developed a while ago that is slowly getting worse. It doesn't appear when driving in a straight line, only when cornering.

The best scenario I can think of to describe it is, if you imagine a large roundabout, if you had come to enter the roundabout from a standstill, then when setting off, the knock would start,getting louder and faster until the auto box jumped to the next (2nd ?) gear, then would stop.

If you approached the same roundabout at speed, i.e. the traffic was clear from the right, then the noise wouldn't appear, although the route or "curve" you were taking would be exactly the same.

It also does it on both left and right turns of steering wheel when, for example, parking in tight places.

Now although we love this car,it has only done 98,000 K M and it has just passed its MOT without a thing wrong (not bad for a 13 year old !!!) we have to be realistic.

Anyone got any ideas?

Would this be a job a mechanic would take days to find the fault, then quote me a mad price for parts and labour?

If so then I'm afraid to say that it will have to go, or even more sadly, run it till it packs up, which seems criminal as everything else is spot on.

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Hi...

Sounds like it could be a CV joint (Constant Velocity joint) on one of the front drive shafts. It means getting under the vehicle and checking for 'play' in the joint(s). When they are worn they normally growl/grind more when you increase the the steering lock when in motion. Also check if there is any evidence of grease escaping from the CV gator (rubber cover). This will accelerate the joint wear if it is split and losing lubricant (moly-grease)!

Probably a moderately priced job for a mechanic if you can't do it yourself. Anyhow... you could always say to the mechanic... you suspect a CV joint... he will be less inclined to rip you off if you sound like you know what you are talking about :)

If it is the CV joint(s) it is certainly worth doing to prolong the life of the car... plus it could be dangerous if left to long without maintenance. Any unusual noise on a car should be investigated.

DaveH

Hi all,

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Hi, checked C V joints boots that go into the wheels after MOT man said it could be a dry joint but they were neither split or dry as they were VERY full of grease. What puzzles me is that the knocking kind of clears after I feel the gearbox jumps up a gear. Would it not do it all the time at all speeds if it was a C V joint ?

Not necessarily as the torque reduces as the gears change up. Even if the boots are full of grease you can still have a duff CV joint. They usually knock on the lock you are turned to. Go to an empty car park or similar space and set off in one direction with the steering on full lock. Then do it the other way. A CV joint sounds like an erratic knocking/clunking from the affected wheel. Right lock means right CV kn@cked etc. Any experienced motor engineer will recognise it immediately from his working on Mini days!

• 2 weeks later...

is it a 5 door or 3 door?

Hi, it's a 3 door

• 6 months later...
Hi all,

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Hi all,

Didn't know any other way of bringing this topic to the top so I'm quoting my initial correspondance.

As I mentioned, the knocking noise problem was taken to a so called mechanic who diagnosed the problem as the front passenger side driveshaft.

So I sourced a second hand part and have just been informed that, after fitting it , the knocking noise is still there, and now he thinks it's "something in the gearbox" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the best part of £100 for the part is down the drain, don't really know what to do now.

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions (about the car NOT the mechanic)

Don't want to scrap her but a new gearbox, albeit second hand, plus labour would surely be more than car is worth.

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi all,

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Hi all,

Didn't know any other way of bringing this topic to the top so I'm quoting my initial correspondance.

As I mentioned, the knocking noise problem was taken to a so called mechanic who diagnosed the problem as the front passenger side driveshaft.

So I sourced a second hand part and have just been informed that, after fitting it , the knocking noise is still there, and now he thinks it's "something in the gearbox" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the best part of £100 for the part is down the drain, don't really know what to do now.

Don't want to scrap her but a new gearbox, albeit second hand, plus labour would surely be more than car is worth.

Thanks,

Paul.

If you change the gearbox down manually to bottom gear would it make the noise at the island? Does it do it left and right? Does it seem worse on the left or the right and does the noise seem to come from one side?

Hi all,

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Paul.

If you change the gearbox down manually to bottom gear would it make the noise at the island? Does it do it left and right? Does it seem worse on the left or the right and does the noise seem to come from one side?

Sorry to be a Thicko but it's an automatic, how would I change it down manually?

The noise comes on both left and right turning directions and (for me) is very difficult to determine which side it comes from.

Sorry I can't be anymore exact, it's one of those things that is easy to listen to but hard to explain.

Paul.

On some automatics you can manually change down to lower gears. If you can't then that makes things a bit more awkward. The car would start in first from an island but wouldn't necessarily change down to first when travelling through one. I was trying to determin if it was something linked to first gear.

jack up each front wheel and turn it to make sure there are no big lumps on the tyres. They make a heck of a noise if faulty.

On some automatics you can manually change down to lower gears. If you can't then that makes things a bit more awkward. The car would start in first from an island but wouldn't necessarily change down to first when travelling through one. I was trying to determin if it was something linked to first gear.

Jack up each front wheel and turn it to make sure there are no big lumps on the tyres. They make a heck of a noise if faulty.

Wheels , or tyres to be exact, are all fine and free from any deformaties.

Not being a car mechanic but fairly mechnically minded, I would say the symptoms almost resemble a cog with a tooth missing !

I set off, turn the wheel (either direction) and there is a knocking noise,kind of every revolution of the wheel. The frequency picks up as the car gets faster.

Then I feel the cars auto box go up to the next gear,then the noise drops in frequency,and again picks up with the speed of the car.

Staighten the wheel and the noise goes

But sometimes when coasting, even in a straight line, you get the odd knock,but not in an form of regularity???!!!!

The further the wheel is turned the more severe the noise

It has all the hall marks of a CV joint but they usually knock on the side you are turning to, not both sides.

The other possiblity is the diff. When turning through curves this device allows the drive to both wheels and accommodates the fact that one wheel must turn faster than the other. It only operates when turning. I think you should go to several different garages and get further opinions.

I can't think of any reason why changing the gearbox would cure it.

It has all the hall marks of a CV joint but they usually knock on the side you are turning to, not both sides.

The other possiblity is the diff. When turning through curves this device allows the drive to both wheels and accommodates the fact that one wheel must turn faster than the other. It only operates when turning. I think you should go to several different garages and get further opinions.

I can't think of any reason why changing the gearbox would cure it.

Thanks for all your thoughts and replies.

How much would you think it would cost to rectify this problem? Or worst case how much to replace?

I am on the verge of getting rid of the car, although I don't want to but the cost against the cars value is obviously the main factor

Paul

Well I would take it to some other garages first. If it is a CV joint then perhaps the same again as you've just paid but if it is the diff there is a lot of labour involved and you need a donor vehicle to rob the diff. That might be prohibitive but the first garage doesn't seem very confident so before you do anything rash just try for other opinions.

Good luck mate - keep your chin up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links