Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Have I Got A Problem Or Not?

fuel miser

Well, I've bought a Prius. I've done it the unconventional way, having got rid of my car privately, I thought I would visit a car auction and pick one up at a knock down price. The one I went to buy was a two year old T Spirit, an ex lease car having covered just 25k. I dropped out of the bidding when the car came within only £1000 of what I would expect to pay a dealer for it, complete with dealer warranty etc. (if the manufacturers warranty has expired you have NO warranty whatsoever on a car bought in auction, so you MUST buy cheap).

About 15 lots behind was another Prius for sale from the same company. A T4, again 2 years old (06 plate), but this time with 50k on it. I wouldn't have considered it before I went there as I thought the mileage a bit too high. But other than one small scratch on the rear bumper, and in need of a hoover inside, I couldn't spot anything amiss with it. I succeeded in placing the winning bid, and at almost £4k less than the other one, was a bargain in comparison. The car has a full Toyota main dealer history with a stamp every 10,000 miles, and had it's 50k service just a week ago.

The car drives absolutely fine, with one slight cause for concern. It sets off silently on battery/motor, I'm aware of the engine cutting in at about 20mph or so (obviously the screen tells me what's happening too), as the speed rises above 40mph, I am aware of a noise, which I am not sure if I'm supposed to hear as I've never driven another Priius. It's a kind of thrum/whining noise, which is there all the time up to motorway cruising speeds, but disappears again when the speed drops below 40 or so. It's very reminiscent of diiff noise from a rear drive car, but it comes from the front. If it is a fault, I'm maybe suspecting driveshaft problems as I've heard these can fail on the Prius, but maybe the noise is quite normal. Does anyone know if I'm still covered with any warranty from Toyota, or will this now have expired? Any advice much appreciated.

:thumbsup: Many congrats FM on getting your Prius - sounds like you were the lucky (and sensible) one on the day. I guess the professionals will give you their views later but I just wanted to cheer you up and reassure you.

I reckon you have a good solid car there. Are you going to share with us precisely how much you paid for it in the end?

Six months ago I bought a late 05 T3 with just under 60k on the clock, again full TSH. I had it serviced this week at 70k and it came back with a clean bill of health, so "high mileage" Prius's obviously shouldn't be feared. The car feels so reliable and relaxing to drive.

Re: noise, can you be more descriptive - where is it eminating from (front. back, below etc)?

It is correct for the car (when at operating temperature) to move off in electric mode and then the petrol engine will cut in at about the speed you notice the noise start, so perhaps you are just unfamiliar with what sounds the car makes normally. Have you checked the display to see if the noise coincides with the switch in green arrows (from the Battery in use to back to charge mode)?

:yahoo: Many congrats again - hope you have a great weekend enjoying the car out and about.

Jon

I have not experienced a "thrum whining noise" as you describe. You may hear the petrol engine revs increase around 40 MPH but then fall back but I do not have whining noises.

Suggest you take it to a Toyota a dealer and have it checked. They may give it a road check free of charge. At least it will give you peace of mind if they say it is OK.

Check out this web site; it is very imformative ignore the fact it South african, the technical info is the same. You can see how the drive shafts etc work. The Prius is much different to other cars.

Here is the web site.

http://www.myprius.co.za/technical.htm

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Chris.

:thumbsup: Many congrats FM on getting your Prius - sounds like you were the lucky (and sensible) one on the day. I guess the professionals will give you their views later but I just wanted to cheer you up and reassure you.

I reckon you have a good solid car there. Are you going to share with us precisely how much you paid for it in the end?

Six months ago I bought a late 05 T3 with just under 60k on the clock, again full TSH. I had it serviced this week at 70k and it came back with a clean bill of health, so "high mileage" Prius's obviously shouldn't be feared. The car feels so reliable and relaxing to drive.

Re: noise, can you be more descriptive - where is it eminating from (front. back, below etc)?

It is correct for the car (when at operating temperature) to move off in electric mode and then the petrol engine will cut in at about the speed you notice the noise start, so perhaps you are just unfamiliar with what sounds the car makes normally. Have you checked the display to see if the noise coincides with the switch in green arrows (from the battery in use to back to charge mode)?

:yahoo: Many congrats again - hope you have a great weekend enjoying the car out and about.

Jon

Thanks for all that Jon, I think you're right, I got a bit of a steal. I must be honest, this is not the first car I've bought in auction, I've bought quite a few that way over the years. Most people are terrified to go near them, but if you just do a little research on values and understand how they work, you can pick up a bargain and get a couple of years use out of it, and maybe only lose a few hundred instead of several thousand you would lose paying dealer prices. Bear in mind as a private buyer, there are commission and documentation fees to pay which are usually, with VAT too, about 5% of the purchase price, so don't ever get carried away. I really thought I might get the T Spirit for about £13k, I came in when the bidding had dried up at £12,300, I bid it to £13,100 and ceased at that point because there would be fees of about £700 on top. I was up against a telephone bidder obviously determined to buy it, could even have been a dealer who could retail it for another £1500 or so, and as an account holder with the auction would only have half the fees to pay that I would. Anyway, I shoved the price of his car up by £800!

I was a bit despondent, having travelled about 90 miles by train with a one way ticket, when I went to look at the other Prius. I already knew it was there, but the mileage being a little over 50k was offputting, You expect some signs of wear and tear, stone chips, saggy driver's seat, the odd ding and scrape here and there, but what I found myself looking at was a spanking car without a mark on the paintwork other than a small scratch that will T-Cut out. The interior was clean and just wanted hoovered. I bought the car, inclusive of all fees, for £9800. I've driven all sorts of exotic things over the years, 4 x XJ's one after the other, 4 x Mercs, a couple of Saabs, and five BM'S. I never buy new, always 2-4 years old when they've lost a big chunk.

I'm very impressed with the way the Prius drives, it even has a Germanic feel of solidity about it. The service book is stamped by the same dealer throughout. It transpires, since I first posted on this, that I still have the remainder of 60,000/3 year warranty from Toyota. All I've really lost in not getting the T Spirit is built-in sat nav, which I wasn't that bothered about, couldn't live with a T3 though, cruise control has kept my license clean for the last 4 years!

Maybe the engine note is just a little odd, a kind of thrummy, slightly off beat sound like a 3 or 5 cylinder engine makes. The noise is definitely from the front of the car, and increases above 40 mph or so. But I took it up to twice that on the motorway and other than that it drives fine, once I slap my private plate on it I could tell my friends it's brand new, it really is that clean.

It is correct for the car (when at operating temperature) to move off in electric mode and then the petrol engine will cut in at about the speed you notice the noise start, so perhaps you are just unfamiliar with what sounds the car makes normally. Have you checked the display to see if the noise coincides with the switch in green arrows (from the battery in use to back to charge mode)?

Jon

Than

Absolutely excellent result - I bet you were high as a kite after getting it after all the sadness at not getting the other one.

Chris Dance is right - take it to your local Toyota dealer and let them give it a whirl. They seem extremely customer focussed (I went to mine for the first time this week, and it was kind of weird - almost like being in America. Welcomed in reception by a man who obviously saw me arrive on CCTV, lots of comfy seats, free decent coffee and genuine friendliness). My last car was a Merc and apart from the delightful fact they travelled 25 miles to collect my car for free each service, they were always rather desparaging of me only having a mere c class!).

Glad you don't have a T3 - I like mine but the stereo is very very poor - so tinny after the merc's. If I had an excess of wads and wads of cash I'd exchange it for a T spirit (and the leather would be more practical for my dogs and country living too!). Still I'm just pleased I could afford any Prius, and it is so relaxing to drive (and helps me sleep at night...whereas the merc was a big repair bill waiting to happen).

Let us know what the dealer says re: noise - I'm sure it will be absolutely fine.

All the best.

jon

I have not experienced a "thrum whining noise" as you describe. You may hear the petrol engine revs increase around 40 MPH but then fall back but I do not have whining noises.

Suggest you take it to a Toyota a dealer and have it checked. They may give it a road check free of charge. At least it will give you peace of mind if they say it is OK.

Check out this web site; it is very imformative ignore the fact it South african, the technical info is the same. You can see how the drive shafts etc work. The Prius is much different to other cars.

Here is the web site.

http://www.myprius.co.za/technical.htm

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Chris.

Thanks for that Chris, I have studied it (also saw the car getting stripped) and it's a good link. I'll get it to Toyota for a road test, but I suspect something may be amiss, I wouldn't describe it as a quiet car to travel in as it does seem to make an odd noise. I'm aware of the revs going up and down as I accelerate, but the whine/thrummy noise is there all the time above forty, increasing in pitch as the road speed also increases. I'll post back the result, but it won't be for a few days.

The design of the Prius is very 'Citroenesque' to me, a bit like a modern BX, but with VW build quality. I say that because of the slippery, modern shape, the digital speedo, and the general, avant-garde styling inside. One minor thing, when I turn on the lights if it's heavy rain, the speedo and screen is so dim I can't see them. They're only just visible when it's dark too. I've studied the handbook but can't come across the method of turning up the rheostat. Any idea where I find it? Thanks in anticipation.

fuel miser;

Read your handbook to verify this but I am think this is correct. On the dash of your Prius there is a "button" MPH/ KMPH.

When your lights dim as you describe; press the button once. DO NOT HOLD IT ON or it will change you over to KMPH. The button has 2 functions: One press restores the dimming of the lights, press and hold changes the setting as previously stated. As I said, check your handbook for this.

If I am correct let me know if it works. I will check my handbook again if it is unsuccessful. I seem to recall this from when I first got my T-spirit.

Good luck at Toyota. Let us hope there is nothing wrong. I was driving this morning and experienced no whinining noise like you describe.

Chris.

fuel miser

What happened about the whining noise??????

fuel miser

What happened about the whining noise??????

Hi Chris, thanks for asking. I took it to a Toyota dealer the other day, the service manager came out with me for a run in my car. He thinks a wheel bearing may be kaput, it's booked in to have it investigated and repaired next week (under warranty).

When we got back to the garage, I was reversing into the only available parking space which was rather awkward. I remarked to him about the very poor visibility out of the rear of the Prius, and how much I missed the parking sensors on my 5 series touring (they were standard front and rear, the car also had much better visibility). He said they were offering a 'deal' on fitting parking sensors at the moment. They'll fit them front and rear for £350:00. I didn't ask how much they normally cost, but they didn't sound much of a bargain to me. A couple of hundred pounds or so and I'd be tempted. If I want them I just have to let them know when I take the car in. What do you, or anyone else think?

Hi fuel miser,

I am pleased Mr T is sorting your cars whining noise out. Let us know if the wheel bearing solves the problem.

With regard to reversing sensors I have not felt I needed them I find the camera screen OK. I suppose if you had parking sensors you will miss them. I miss electric folding wing mirrors like I had on the Avensis.

£350 for fitting parking sensors by a Toyota garage does not seem too bad a deal to me. At least you get a Toyota warranty with the work.

Regards Chris.

Hi fuel miser,

I am pleased Mr T is sorting your cars whining noise out. Let us know if the wheel bearing solves the problem.

With regard to reversing sensors I have not felt I needed them I find the camera screen OK. I suppose if you had parking sensors you will miss them. I miss electric folding wing mirrors like I had on the Avensis.

£350 for fitting parking sensors by a Toyota garage does not seem too bad a deal to me. At least you get a Toyota warranty with the work.

Regards Chris.

Had my Prius in to Toyota today, new driver's side wheel bearing replaced, the car is now much, much quieter to drive. Unbelievably, they also supplied and fitted a brand new set of alloy wheels, as the others were all showing signs of corrosion (the service manager noticed this, I hadn't, and he insisted they all be replaced! The car had lived it's life up in Scotland, where a lot more salt would have been deposited on the roads in winter months). They even replaced a faulty key-fob too, all under warranty, and despite me telling them I had bought the car second-hand in auction! Superb service, but it does leave a bit of a question mark over the Toyota dealer who was supposedly looking after the car for the previous owner, it was only fully serviced 3 weeks/200 miles ago, why didn't they spot any of this? They presumably still get paid by Toyota for doing warranty work, so levels of customer service must vary between dealers.

Just to answer a question about heated mirrors on the Prius. I tried selecting both the menu on the screen, and the button on the steering wheel, no heat could be felt on the mirrors even after several minutes. The Toyota service manager confirmed that they are NOT fitted on any UK Prius model, but he didn't know why. He said it was odd because other Toyota models did have them fitted as standard equipment. Other things I miss from my previous car are auto close on the remote locking (a total pain on the Prius when you have left a window open), and an auto dim rear view mirror. Also, whilst a very sophisticated mpg display is supplied, no 'range left' display is available, so you always have to watch the fuel guage.

I seem to be averaging 57-62 mpg in a mix of city and A road/motorway driving, which I feel is very impressive considering I hadn't yet even attempted to drive particularly economically.

fuel miser,

You seem to have got your sorted by Mr T. Good to hear it. I expect you are correct about wing mirror heating but all the indications on the screen give it as selected when you press Front Screen. I wonder how much it would cost to connect it up??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links