Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Sounds When Reversing And Steering!

LUIGI_

Morning (as if anyone is reading this at this hour on a Sunday morning), yesterday we took the Rav (1998 5 door) out for a spin, started hearing some funny sounds coming from under the car, tested it at home and found that when braking while reversing a knock and a click was coming from under the car also when turning the steering wheel I'm hearing this sort of scraping sound from inside the engine bay when reaching a specific point while turning the wheels , it does this just before the wheels reach the full turn and then stops when the wheels reach the full turn, don't know what term is used for that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers Luigi.

Luigi

If the noise when reversing only comes when braking it could well be a stone or something similar trapped in a caliper. Just get somebody to do it while you listen which wheel it comes from and whip the wheel off and have a look. If its a rear it could be a return spring catching the hub.

The noise from the steering could well be low fluid when getting towards full lock. If it needs some in just add fluid to the mark on the reservoir and only use the proper fluid which is in fact automatic transmission fluid. If the fluid is OK just check that the drive belt to the pump is tight.

I don't think either of those two noises are very sinister!

Luigi

If the noise when reversing only comes when braking it could well be a stone or something similar trapped in a caliper. Just get somebody to do it while you listen which wheel it comes from and whip the wheel off and have a look. If its a rear it could be a return spring catching the hub.

The noise from the steering could well be low fluid when getting towards full lock. If it needs some in just add fluid to the mark on the reservoir and only use the proper fluid which is in fact automatic transmission fluid. If the fluid is OK just check that the drive belt to the pump is tight.

I don't think either of those two noises are very sinister!

Thanks Anchorman, I'll have a look, really relieved to hear that it's probably only minor issues!! One more question, when unlocking my car with the remote it only unlocks from about three metres away from it whereas my old 1995 would easily unlock from a good 6-10 metres away, I've tried the obvious by changing the Battery but it's still the same, any suggestions? Where is the sensor/receiver located inside the car?

The signal is sent to the dorr lock ECU. Not sure where it is on a 4.1 but on later models it is behind the dash on the passenger side.

That might be something you have to live with.

Regards

Gonna sound like a windup, but to extend the range of the remote locking, stick the key against your head, open your mouth in the direction of the car and press the button :thumbsup:

(OK - I made up the bit about the mouth, but try the key against the head bit - it really works!)

Gonna sound like a windup, but to extend the range of the remote locking, stick the key against your head, open your mouth in the direction of the car and press the button :thumbsup:

(OK - I made up the bit about the mouth, but try the key against the head bit - it really works!)

I'll try to ask my wife to press it up against my backside and extend my arms thus forming an antena and creating an extended field of frequency, works so well that it might even unlock my grumpy neighbour's car!! You should try that!!

I'll try to ask my wife to press it up against my backside and extend my arms thus forming an antena and creating an extended field of frequency, works so well that it might even unlock my grumpy neighbour's car!! You should try that!!

I asked my GP about this and he said it causes cancer of the p*n*sh

• 2 weeks later...

I asked my GP about this and he said it causes cancer of the p*n*sh

It depends if you're using your p*n*sh as a transmitter, I would suggest covering the p*n*sh in aluminium foil!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links