Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Panel Filter

moose212

Hi,

I have just had a T180 company car and whilst it is a great car I am a little dissaponted with the performance/fuel economy. I have used replacement panel filters with good results on previous cars and wondered whether anyone had changed theirs. Looking at the standard filter I am surprised any air at all gets through, it is a very deep paper element with a 1inch foam base. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Tom

Hi,

I have just had a T180 company car and whilst it is a great car I am a little dissaponted with the performance/fuel economy. I have used replacement panel filters with good results on previous cars and wondered whether anyone had changed theirs. Looking at the standard filter I am surprised any air at all gets through, it is a very deep paper element with a 1inch foam base. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Tom

Tom, welcome.

There was a topic about T180s recently: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78771. Whatever a panel filter is, I don't think it was mooted as a possible cause of poor performance, mpg or whatever.

Hi,

Tom

Tom, welcome.

There was a topic about T180s recently: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78771. Whatever a panel filter is, I don't think it was mooted as a possible cause of poor performance, mpg or whatever.

By panel filter I mean filter element. Thanks for your reply. I have already read this post and I am trying to work out why the dpf has affected performance. Is it because it has caused restrictions in the exhaust system increasing back pressure? I do think that the stock filter setup will cause problems is this something that has also changed with the introduction of the dpf?Hopefully we can work out a solution amongst us.

Hi,

Tom

Tom, welcome.

By panel filter I mean filter element. Thanks for your reply. I have already read this post and I am trying to work out why the dpf has affected performance. Is it because it has caused restrictions in the exhaust system increasing back pressure? I do think that the stock filter setup will cause problems is this something that has also changed with the introduction of the dpf?Hopefully we can work out a solution amongst us.

The particulate filter removes about 80 or 90% of the soot from the exhaust gases that are circulated. It uses diesel injection from the 5th injector to clean this soot off by burning it off.

The result is no visible smoke coming from the exhaust and NOx and Particle emissions are MUCH lower than the european standard - like up to 95% i think.

The downside is, its hard to achieve the combined consumption. Many people including me (although its an auris t180) get about 42mpg combined driving however i want... high speeds, quick acceleration etc. However if i drive for economy for example last night i average 51mpg. Its just harder to achieve.

Its the toyota way, clean / green etc. Annoying but thats how it is. They aren't producing meaty petrol turbo charged engines anymore, their supra in 2009 is rumoured to be a hybrid and the avensis 2009 will probably have a hybrid too. The emissions offset for the company group will be traded between toyota and subaru leaving room for the Lexus ISF. Toyota cars are their green arm.

Personally... Mpg doesn't bother me like some people on here. 42mpg from such a good engine is acceptable to me. I've been reading about the 320d's even passat 170's. Owners report between 42 and 46mpg average. Its not world's apart. I've always considered 50mpg to class yourself as being in the "economy club". To achieve 50mpg you need a small hatch or a saloon outputting no more than 130 or 150bhp.

You'll find plenty of fords or VAG cars with good MPG but they are noisy, rough and very dirty. Renault / french are even worse!

BMW are good at quick economy cars, they are not as aggressive on NOx / particle emission reduction as toyota and they tune their engines well.

TBH fuel economy is not that much of an issue. I have now had the car a week and I am averaging 42mpg and thats without really trying. I think when the car has run in it will be around 46mpg as quoted. My main concern/annoyance is how sluggish the car feels in 1st/2nd when pulling away, and it is very slow revving. I was hoping someone may have tried a panel filter as like I said previously I have had good results before with other cars. Namely increased mpg and a greater willingness to rev up making them more driveable. Perhaps Ill just take the plunge and get one and report back with my findings. Although another problem I am having is finding someone who sells them. K&N have a part number for one but nowhere seems to stock them.

TBH fuel economy is not that much of an issue. I have now had the car a week and I am averaging 42mpg and thats without really trying. I think when the car has run in it will be around 46mpg as quoted. My main concern/annoyance is how sluggish the car feels in 1st/2nd when pulling away, and it is very slow revving. I was hoping someone may have tried a panel filter as like I said previously I have had good results before with other cars. Namely increased mpg and a greater willingness to rev up making them more driveable. Perhaps Ill just take the plunge and get one and report back with my findings. Although another problem I am having is finding someone who sells them. K&N have a part number for one but nowhere seems to stock them.

Assuming as its a company car its new - the turbo lag is very obvious to begin with. I had my t180 auris from new and i had a SR180 RAV4 recently it i reminded me how laggy and tight the box and engine was between 1st and 2nd.

I think i'm about 14k in now and there almost no turbo lag and engine rev's more smoothly and more freely now in 1st and especially 2nd.

1st gear in most diesels are never going to set you on fire and even now its loosened up and mainly lag free - its still only decent for getting into the strong powerband of 2nd.

If you want a quick start with the new laggy engine, get the revs to 2k rpm - get the turbo spooled and it will pull away very sharly and quickly. Just change into 2nd quickly :)

p.s. even though first feels really weedy - look in your rear view mirror and see the cars getting smaller and smaller; its a bit deceptive - once in 3rd its savage; at least in the auris it is.

Assuming as its a company car its new - the turbo lag is very obvious to begin with. I had my t180 auris from new and i had a SR180 RAV4 recently it i reminded me how laggy and tight the box and engine was between 1st and 2nd.

I think i'm about 14k in now and there almost no turbo lag and engine rev's more smoothly and more freely now in 1st and especially 2nd.

1st gear in most diesels are never going to set you on fire and even now its loosened up and mainly lag free - its still only decent for getting into the strong powerband of 2nd.

If you want a quick start with the new laggy engine, get the revs to 2k rpm - get the turbo spooled and it will pull away very sharly and quickly. Just change into 2nd quickly :)

p.s. even though first feels really weedy - look in your rear view mirror and see the cars getting smaller and smaller; its a bit deceptive - once in 3rd its savage; at least in the auris it is.

I had a T180 Auris demonstrator before the avensis and it felt like a different animal. I know the avensis is a larger/heavier car but I am not getting that kick back in the seats like the Auris. I appreciate what you are saying about the deceptiveness of the Avensis but I was just hoping I could make some slight improvements to its perormance. On another note it is actually being picked up to go to Toyota in a minute, as I noticed it was pinking on the motorway yesterday.

I had a T180 Auris demonstrator before the avensis and it felt like a different animal. I know the avensis is a larger/heavier car but I am not getting that kick back in the seats like the Auris. I appreciate what you are saying about the deceptiveness of the Avensis but I was just hoping I could make some slight improvements to its perormance. On another note it is actually being picked up to go to Toyota in a minute, as I noticed it was pinking on the motorway yesterday.

I know some people here have chipped and driven an avensis t180 which then has given it incredible power. It will blow you away. Just a Q over the reliability over the long term when chipping... injectors etc.

Avensis is only something like 50KG heavier so performance wont be that far off. But as i say, it loosens up very nicely. 2bh i dont see the need to baby it by running in. Just don't red line, foot driven in the floor for the first 2-400 miles. But do take it gradually up to 3.6k rpm. It will loosen up much sooner.

I know some people here have chipped and driven an avensis t180 which then has given it incredible power. It will blow you away. Just a Q over the reliability over the long term when chipping... injectors etc.

Avensis is only something like 50KG heavier so performance wont be that far off. But as i say, it loosens up very nicely. 2bh i dont see the need to baby it by running in. Just don't red line, foot driven in the floor for the first 2-400 miles. But do take it gradually up to 3.6k rpm. It will loosen up much sooner.

UPDATE. Toyota looked at the car yesterday and have agreed there is something wrong. The mention of the begining of injector rattle (no idea what that means)? or maybe a problem with the top end, they are now keeping the car for a week to investigate further. All on a car thats only done 10k miles. Good job my company car scheme is so good!!

HI Moose, just dropped in from the rav section, I tried a K&N in my chipped,d4d rav,I am not technical+ assume your car has the same filter as the rav T180, if so it is available from Demon Tweeks, near Chester, although i just ordered mine from a local accessory shop, TBH i couldnt detect any difference and found it a bit noisy, not a more throaty sound, but it whistled which eventually became annoying, i think the std filter also acts as a (noise suppressor) My rav is not a T180 by the way, but adding the "chip" available fron Lindop Toyota made a vast difference, I assume Kingo aka parts king frequents this section, if so he is the man to contact if interested in a "chip"..Hope this helps :thumbsup:

was the whistling coming from the exhaust?

We had people on the Auris forum chipping T180's and the whistling came from the exhaust system as the airflow wasn't enough. So maybe air induction plus chip is causing that and you need to balance with an upgraded exhaust.

Just make sure you don't pile on weight.

was the whistling coming from the exhaust?

We had people on the Auris forum chipping T180's and the whistling came from the exhaust system as the airflow wasn't enough. So maybe air induction plus chip is causing that and you need to balance with an upgraded exhaust.

Just make sure you don't pile on weight.

No TBH it was def whistling from the air box, may have been turbo noise which was masked by the om filter, iknow its not conclusive but i drove to wales 65mls on the om filter, and slipped the K&N in and drove back and there seemed no difference either in performance or fuel, maybe a K&N induction kit may make a difference, but other than you never need to replace it can't see any advantage to a K&N panel filter..IMO

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Tom

Just notied your post Tom, funny enough when trying in desperation to find causes of my T180's poor economy/performance I checked out the filter and came to the same conclusion, and the foam on mine was caked! worse still, it wasn't due a filter change for about 14000 miles! I ripped off the foam to use the paper only, what a stupid design!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links