Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 1995 Immobiliser

StuartG

Can anyone help. Car lying for two weeks, no Battery power, appears alarm gone off and immobiliser has kicked in. I never use the alarm or the immobiliser but the FOB to stop alarm etc has no effect. I have been trying to give the car power from another car via jump leads, pccassionally the car will try to start when the red light inside the car (which appears to be the alarm light) goes out. Though very quickly the immobiliser kicks in. I dont know if this is a fault with the alarm/immobiliser or has happened because the Battery has lost power.

It is a Toyota 5000 system 2 alarm system.

Can anyone help?

charge the car Battery up and retry it.

charge the car battery up and retry it.

I can either take the car to a garage or do as you suggest. Are you talking from experience or are you eliminating possible issues? The Battery has been flat and changed before but this never happened before.

Let me know.

charge the car battery up and retry it.

I can either take the car to a garage or do as you suggest. Are you talking from experience or are you eliminating possible issues? The Battery has been flat and changed before but this never happened before.

Let me know.

You'll need to charge the Battery up or replace it first of all. The batteries last only 3 years or less as they are tiny!

Once charged, the immobiliser should then work as per usual.

There have been a lot of posts on here in the past year if you try a search.....

I've found that my RAV Battery goes flat if left 3-4 weeks - due to slight drain with locking system and the clock etc.

most vauxhalls do this when the cars Battery dies also .

charge it up and try it .

most vauxhalls do this when the cars battery dies also .

charge it up and try it .

You and the Bothwell Buyer have been a great help. I do see a lot of folks have had a problem with the alarm/immobiliser, this is a 1995 Rav4. I will take your advice and charge up the Battery and hopefuly it will be ok. One question though, why when I connect (via leads) a good Battery from a 5 series BMW (plenty Battery power) does it not then work? If it does not help with the BMW battery then is it unlikely to help charging up the Rav 4 battery? Or am i missing something?

the ecu will of told the immobilizer to come into play . if you clear the ecu codes then try another car as a jump it will most likely fire up . if/when you disconnect the earth lead it effectively clears the ecu error codes. so by taking off the Battery and recharging it you clear the ecu codes and have a good Battery at the same time.

this may be the answer to your question , we will have to wait and see when you charge the Battery up - but you need to take off the earth strap and press the brake pedal a few times , then put earth back onto battery .

I have charged the Battery up but the alarm and immobiliser and still on. Any other ideas as to what I can do next. I would like to simply remove the alamr/immobilier but my local garage are telling me they are not sure whether they can or not. Is this a simple task or more difficut. Could I do it myself? Does anyone have the details as how to remove?

I would like to get the car going with the alarm etc intact, but it is not looking to good at the moment! Help!!

did you the Battery off to charge it .

did you the battery off to charge it .

I think you are asking did I take the Battery off to charge it. I disconnected the +ve and -ve terminals from the Battery and connected the Battery charger to the terminals. I did not physically remove the battery from the car, but I did not charge with the terminals on. One think I have now found out is if I put the key in the on position (the position just before the start position) after disconnecting the battery, then reconnect the battery +ve first, then a few relays click and it seems to overrid the immobiliser. T/he car at least tries to start. It does not start but I am wondering if this is more to do with the fact it has been lying now for 3+ weeks that the alarm system. Of course when I return the key to the off pocition the immobiliser kicks in again. Any further help would be appreciated. I think I am heading for a garage or perhaps I may join the AA and let them have a go!!

you really need the key fob to work to deactivate the alarm system fully.

you really need the key fob to work to deactivate the alarm system fully.

I do have the key fob which sets/deactivates the alarm, but it has no effect on the alarm. I have tried various combinations of holding down the black and red buttons to synch the fob to the alarm but to no avail.

Any more ideas or are we at the end of the road?

• 2 weeks later...

a wee update - we removed the immobiliser an alarm system and re-joined the 2 pairs of wires necessary to get car back on the road. Bit of a learning curve - in comparing it to my own car, the alarm system was the identical type provided by the co that went bust 13 years ago; but the way it had been fitted was quite different in that the location of the boxes was different.

Anyway, the cars back to life which is what matters. If anyone needs more info on this, PM me!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links