Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auxillary Belt Squeel-new Member

ouijaboard

Firstly hello as this is my first post. I've had a good search through the forum and gleened some info on my snag. However wonder if anyone can shed any further light. Have a 03 plate D4D. recently had a cambelt and water pump change at a local garage run by a good friend of mine, as I didn't have the inclanation to do it :D . For the service I supplied pattern part aux belts (alternator and P/s) to be replaced when the car went back together. You guessed it the power steering belt is squeeling like a pig when you blip the throttle and under acceleration.!!!. The idler pulley was suspect and I've changed that, but my friend and I have narrowed it down to the belt. (As soon as you spray a bit of WD40 on it it goes). After reading the great info on here I'm off on Monday to get an genuimne OEM belt. (this site says they are now "fir lined" on the V's to reduce noise. However we found the P/s pump was a little misaligned with the belt rubbing on one side. This has been corrected with use of a couple of washers. However I beleive there is a "spacer modification" for troublesome RAV4 P/s belts???? If so, does anyone know what it entails, and how much to supply (I'll fit it). Also any further advice on getting rid of the squeel. I'm a bit miffed as I'v had the power steering pump and tensioner brackett assembly off about 8 times today. Mind you I am !Removed! quick at it now :rolleyes:

Cheers

Rob

Firstly hello as this is my first post. I've had a good search through the forum and gleened some info on my snag. However wonder if anyone can shed any further light. Have a 03 plate D4D. recently had a cambelt and water pump change at a local garage run by a good friend of mine, as I didn't have the inclanation to do it :D . For the service I supplied pattern part aux belts (alternator and P/s) to be replaced when the car went back together. You guessed it the power steering belt is squeeling like a pig when you blip the throttle and under acceleration.!!!. The idler pulley was suspect and I've changed that, but my friend and I have narrowed it down to the belt. (As soon as you spray a bit of WD40 on it it goes). After reading the great info on here I'm off on Monday to get an genuimne OEM belt. (this site says they are now "fir lined" on the V's to reduce noise. However we found the P/s pump was a little misaligned with the belt rubbing on one side. This has been corrected with use of a couple of washers. However I beleive there is a "spacer modification" for troublesome RAV4 P/s belts???? If so, does anyone know what it entails, and how much to supply (I'll fit it). Also any further advice on getting rid of the squeel. I'm a bit miffed as I'v had the power steering pump and tensioner brackett assembly off about 8 times today. Mind you I am bloody quick at it now :rolleyes:

Cheers

Rob

Oh my goodness (translated by the muderators from "See you Jimmy - yer aff yer heid")

Ony guid at Renault Trafic belts the noo ? (Are you proficient at replacing the power steering belt on a Renault Trafic?)[more translation]

An see the bit aboot fir-lined - is this onthin tae dae wi fur coat nae nickers? (Does your reference relate to a description of a particular type of power transfer belt or are you referring to women living in supposedly well-to-do areas who actually do not have any money?)[even more translation]

Ma heids nippin frae yer comment oan ra bit aboot quote "my snag". (I am having a bit of a problem trying to understand what you mean by saying "my snag"]

Are ye haein probs wi ra scurvy oar sumpthin? (could you explain what "my snag" relates to because I cannot find it in the Oxford Dictionary, nor in my RAV handbook)

Whit are ye daein having it aff wi a pump? An 8 times in wan day! Gies a break! (You must be very clever removing and replacing a power steering pump 8 times in 1 day = you must be very strong and masculine!)

"Mind you I am bloody quick at it now" - ehhh, by the way Jimmy, this is a family car forum where fawk boast aboot their dieselly eyll burners an 5 doors. References tae hoo quick yer are is no fur here pal. [translated - perhaps you may just be going slightly off topic?]

Onyway, bile the kettle an pour sum biling waaer oan the problem keepin yer mitts oot the way. An bsure tae no bend oer yer enjun if yer wearin a tie cos its danjerus. Guid luck in fittin yer belt - ah did mine last week an it wis wan notch twa short an ma hernia puir kilt me. [translated - good luck in sorting your squealing belt - it sounds as if you have it well in hand. Post pictures of the process. You could become famous.

B) :P :D :P :D

I'm afraid bothy has woken up from his daytime sleep and gone straight to the nitrous bottle. He's actually quite good at 4.1s and has an unlimited budget for running a Land Rover which of course is absolutely necessary.

However, your RAV should be quite fixable.

Here are the instructions for fitting the belt which you are no doubt a dab hand at;

steeringbelt.jpg

You say you changes the pulley but the tension is determined by the tensioner which looks like a mini shock absorber. It should be quite tough to push that back to release the belt, if not it could be suspect. Our parts man Kingo can get you a replacement. A new belt might go some way to curing the problem but I wouldn't pin your hopes on it. Some have an adjusting bolt which is self explanatory.

You should remember that there is no load on the steering when the steering is not being turned. With the engine idling turn the steering left and right. If there is no squeal the noise is coming from the alternator belt and not the steering/serpentine belt. Of course your WD40 will get onto that and silence it (better to use fresh water as too much WD40 will ruin the belts).

The alternater belt is loaded without the steering being turned and if loose will cause squeal if the throttle is blipped.

Good luck

See - I always knew dieselly motors were a problem - the landrover just proves it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links