Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can I See Your Cold Air Feed Pipe?

H13RNC

Does anyone know what the sound difference is between the apexi and they typhoon?

I'm sure someone who is going along to the rolling road day will have a video camera, so you will get to hear the difference between a stock intake and the various filters etc with the engine at full pelt.

K&N Seems slightly louder I think, From what I heard on Sunday at Japshow anyway. Myself and Norfolk decided to have a Small Rev.... but no idea how hard he revved and I revved, so meh. That doesn't help... haha.

Meeting on the 19th of this month also. So will see if he'll do a comparison video then!

:D

I'm pretty much going to get an induction kit for my 1.8tr Yaris but I'm still trying to ascertain which would be better... in all honestly, I've been told by far more people that K&N are the best.... although it's interesting reading on this thread that some of you have gone with Blitz? Other then Blitz being a japanese company... any other particular reason? :D

Yes Yes I know I haven't got a Corolla (nearly bought a compressor) but I figure I'd get more of a response here ;0

Thanks in advance...

-Edit- Doesn't look like Blitz does anything for the 1.8Yaris anyway, accept a panel filter :(

K&N Seems slightly louder I think, From what I heard on Sunday at Japshow anyway. Myself and Norfolk decided to have a Small Rev.... but no idea how hard he revved and I revved, so meh. That doesn't help... haha.

Meeting on the 19th of this month also. So will see if he'll do a comparison video then!

Didn't rev too hard tbh, mainly as my legs weren't working properly from being cold and wet! :lol:

Sure we can do a video on the 19th :thumbsup:

:D

I'm pretty much going to get an induction kit for my 1.8tr Yaris but I'm still trying to ascertain which would be better... in all honestly, I've been told by far more people that K&N are the best.... although it's interesting reading on this thread that some of you have gone with Blitz? Other then Blitz being a japanese company... any other particular reason? :D

I would state results about A'PEXi being the best but i don't want to end up like Flexy and the Camry! :lol:

I was told by a local tuning company that K&N do not suit Jap cars, you're far better with a Japanese brand ;)

Don't think I'll be going for a K&N on my next car Tbh. Probably end up with Blitz or A'pexi.

and Gaz, Indeed it was a tad... cold. :lol: My legs still aren't working properly.

A'PEXi...

Japanese?

I'm going to be chatting to a local tuning company to me this weekend aswell.... plenty of research can only be a good thing! Flexy and his Camry? I know I've been a registered user for yanks, but untill recently, I've not visited too much and hardly posted... prefering to lurk, like a pervert, taking in the toyota goodness ;0 ahem...

/toddles off to read up on A'PEXi ;0

thanks for the reply Norfolk :)

T-sport... would you mind elaborating on the reason behind possibly ditching K&N? the more info/ammo I have to make a choice would be appreciated! :D thanks

No particular reason. I've used K&N on every car I've ever modified. Just time for a change. Had no real faults with them in the past except this bracket snapping on the T-Sport.

With it being an Oil based filter it can be a tad tedious having to use a filter recharger kit to get it back to life after so many thousond miles.

Not to mention the prices! Most decent Jap kits come at near half the price! (although the cones are also near half the size! :P)

oil based :huh: Was not aware of that. Complete n00b here... never been interested in making cars go faster then stock, untill I got my 1.8SR... I'd like to wipe the smug grin off of a few people in my town who went with the Fiesta ST (one person) Corsa VXR (two) and the COLT CZT (one).... :\ no idea who they are though :\

Anyway... Does it matter that the cone is half the size? :\ Will I have to worry about cleaning it more often and/air more dirt getting into the engine? :S

Nah, Doesn't make much difference at all. Just looks beefier. :lol: But looks aren't everything! Unsure of the cleaning steps on Apexi and Blitz kits, but it takes about an hour to do the K&N ones. Most kits these days are very good at filtration.

I'm sure Gaz will add a link shortly to show the different filters and their filtration..... ;)

oil based :huh: Was not aware of that. Complete n00b here... never been interested in making cars go faster then stock, untill I got my 1.8SR... I'd like to wipe the smug grin off of a few people in my town who went with the Fiesta ST (one person) Corsa VXR (two) and the COLT CZT (one).... :\ no idea who they are though :\

Anyway... Does it matter that the cone is half the size? :\ Will I have to worry about cleaning it more often and/air more dirt getting into the engine? :S

No, on the CTS the K&N, Blitz and A'PEXi all offer the same gains regardless of size of the cones.

In terms of filtration they're ranked A'PEXi, K&N then Blitz

If it's an oil based filter it can sometimes interfere with the MAF sensor, the dry type's don't obviously! ;)

Edit: Old test based on Supra's but you get the idea Clicky

i found that link the other day but can't find it atm, sorry. but i read it and the APEX'I one came out on top but............... i don't own one or a K&N infact nothing at all ..................... YET :gunsmilie:

Edit: Norfolk beet me to it

Interesting....

See, it really is good to ask as many people as possible :D thanks for the info and the link, I think I'd prefer a 'dry' filter as well, a wet oily one doesn't sit with me... and I base that on a gut feeling... just doesn't sound right :\

A'pexi suddenly just made my number one potential purchase :)

Any more info/experience etc would be welcome! :D thanks for the replies thus far.

-Edit-

by the looks of things, there may not be an A'pexi kit for the 1.8ltr... 2ZR-FE yet... Envy's website doesn't specify which yaris the kit has been designed for. :/ I can bet it's for the old ones though :(

To be fair you won't get much of a gain in power anyway. It may just feel more responsive when you put your foot down. Most people just buy them for the noise anyway! :lol:

After reading this though...

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/induction-kits.php

wondering if there is much point in an induction kit, that being said, I dunno if you could class a 1.8 dual VVTI engine as small.. or is it comparitively to say.. 2.5ltr v6? :|

What's the BHP of your Yaris?

Without a good cold air feed and heatshield you're not gonna see much of a gain until the car is moving anyway.

Gaz, They're around 131 Bhp, 128 lb-ft Torque.

Only that from a 1.8?!! :o

Gaz, They're around 131 Bhp, 128 lb-ft Torque.

Only that from a 1.8?!! :o

Thats enough to see us lot off when where not on lift :crybaby::lol:

:lol:

Just thought they'd have got more BHP out of the engine!

Oh, wait, forgot, Toyota have gone "green" :lol:

Haha, It's about the same power as most GTis used to be, so it's still fairly quick and can see off the likes of the Golf GTi and Pug 206 GTi.

Can I divert your attention to this thread of mine....

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84657

The car is quite light, and shifts very well.. will keep up and then out pace a 2.0TDI Skoda/Passat (tested with my colleague in the company car 06 and 08 plates respectively). The power and torque gains from that charger are pretty impressive... 215PS (which I think is around 205-210bhp?) and 270nm of torque or about 200lb-ft (I think) so I do believe toyota has left alot of play in the car... for that reason :)

As I need to wait for TTE/TF1 to come up with a supercharger for it (warrenty reasons) I was going to bide my time with a cool air induction kit ;)

and when I get told toyota have gone green... I think boring and then get annoyed at the TRD Aurion downunder and the blade master G in Japan.... :\ seems toyota is only bor... green in Europe these days!

-edit-

save you going through the thread... check out this beast :) http://www.garage-frey.ch/YarisP9.htm

I do like the look of it! :D hence why I've been emailing TTE/TF1 weekly, and getting others to as well... the toyota range demands it! :D

I actually read that thread before, haha. I recall reading it back in July when you first posted it.

There are very light indeed, nearly 400Kg lighter than a 'rolla!

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone put a heat shield over the induction kit yet in a CTS or compressor?

Also, i've thought about doing this and mounting the trumpet of a cold air pipe kite, in the lower grill on the front bumper so its visible, i'm trying to get hold of another grill from a breakers to give it a go! whats anyone think? will it look good?

has anyone made a heat shield or tell me the theory behind it so i can give it a go?

Craig

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links