Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please Help Urgently Diff Light, Bleeping

topper200

hi all

ive made a boo boo i think

i reversed thr rav4 out of the drive and some dumba** (no names but its been my oh) was cleaning inside and had pushed the diff lock (i think its called that) button in. i turned it off as soon as i noticed, but now its making a bleeping noise which only goes away when i turn the diff button on again. is it broken? :angry:

please help!!

dont have a manual and dont know what to do

lisa

Think you need Bothwell Buyers advice here. I'm sure he will tell you something about turning it off

while reversing ? :thumbsup:

Edit, or turn it off then reverse ?

have tried driving forwards, reversing turning diff button on and off but its still the same. when i turn the button off it bleeps and although it stops when the button is pushed on that would mean the diff thingy is turned on so i cant drive it :(

The diff lock is a device which locks the drive to the wheels....and without going into the entrails, makes its steering stiff when driving on dry roads especially when going round corners. If its any help, I run my turbo RAV with diff lock engaged when I'm doing quarter mile standing starts and disappear down the track at speeds up to 91mph. And I don't switch it off to run around to do it again!! :lol: :lol:

The handbook says you shouldn't run the diff lock on, on speeds above 50mph....that's just cos the steering gets stiff. The transmission is designed to handle around 350bhp - almost 3 times the amount of power your existing engine will throw at it.

As you now know, the diff lock goes on by pushing the button in. If you push the button again to switch it off, it doesn't go off right away. I believe from RAV4world forum that the diff lock operates using a vacuum... whatever. I know from experience that the diff lock doesn't disengage immediately, and it varies as to when it does unlock. I tend to make sure the steering wheels are straight ahead and try driving slowly forward and/or backwards until the beeping goes off. For this you could try it in a car park unless you have a runway for a driveway! Or a straight quiet road.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on. You can still do the shopping with the diff lock on, but just be aware of the difference in steering -

thank you so much! ive been so worried wasnt exactly sure what it was or how it works. will go out now and drive about to see if the bleeping stops

lsia

thank you so much! ive been so worried wasnt exactly sure what it was or how it works. will go out now and drive about to see if the bleeping stops

lsia

My dad drove my old RAV 4.1 around for a week with the diff lock on. He thought once winter came in, he could keep it on. He couldn't understand why it was so difficult going around roundabouts :rolleyes: No damage done though - still drives fine.

Anyway, it can be tricky turning it off - keep the wheels straight and roll backwards and forwards a few times whilst hitting the switch.

sorted lol panic over :D

haha

I saw the news -

"maniac jeep owner seen reversing down A1 at 70mph! "

Just as well half of Belfast was over here watching Rangers hammer Hamilton :lol: :lol:

haha

I saw the news -

"maniac jeep owner seen reversing down A1 at 70mph! "

Just as well half of Belfast was over here watching Rangers hammer Hamilton :lol: :lol:

lol :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links