Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4-3 And Flood Water

john1944

I live in an area rather prone to flooding, and although in an ideal world would never dream of taking my 07 diesel through floods, such a decision could at some time force me to fail to get home at night. As I understand it, the air intake on the Rav 4-3 is placed just behind the headlight unit, so is quite high up.

Have members got good advice as to how to deal with this situation. I have often wondered how best to deal with this and I am sure any information put forward would be beneficial to all. If going through deepish water, you see a fast moving vehicle approaching from ahead, producing a large bow wave, would it be better to turn off your engine and wait for it to pass, or would this let water into your engine through the exhaust sytem. Are you better to negotiate floods alone, or is it better to follow a commenrcial vehicle close up, in the hope that some of the water depth is pushed aside. And finally, if faced with a very serious situation, and it being essential to get through, would it be o.k. to ask a lorry driver if you could attach your tow rope to his rear, and be pulled through the flood without the use of your own engine.

I look forward to all your comments. John

John

The maximum wading depth for your vehicle is 300mm (12") at less than 19mph or 500mm (20") at less than 6mph. The air inlet to the engine would appear to be slightly higher as you might expect but the front scuttle or firewall will gather water at any speed and then you wall into the high risk of water being drawn into the air intake. Whatever the circumstances (following or being towed by a vehicle) this must be avoided at all costs as even a very small amount of water will cause the connecting rods to bend or the crankshaft to break - whichever is the weaker as the water cannot be compressed.

Water in the exhaust would be less of a problem as the outlet to the manifold is quite high and although the lower reaches cause the exhaust to steam for a very long time (up to an hour), they usually dry out without any lasting affect. I wouldn't know what the result of heavily contaminated water would be either.

In any case the latter is academic as you should avoid ever getting to it.

In the situation where as a matter of urgency I was making my way through 500mm deep water and some @ss came the other way causing a high wake I would definitely turn it off until it subsided then worry about water in the exhaust. It can only get in if the air comes out and this would buy you some time. However, leaving it running risks the engine being wrecked.

Regards.

[quo

Thank you Anchorman, very comprehensive and valuable information. Of great help to me, and obviously to all other Rav owners.

Please keep up the good work. John

te name=anchorman' date='Oct 25 2008, 09:55 AM' post='815014]

John

The maximum wading depth for your vehicle is 300mm (12") at less than 19mph or 500mm (20") at less than 6mph. The air inlet to the engine would appear to be slightly higher as you might expect but the front scuttle or firewall will gather water at any speed and then you wall into the high risk of water being drawn into the air intake. Whatever the circumstances (following or being towed by a vehicle) this must be avoided at all costs as even a very small amount of water will cause the connecting rods to bend or the crankshaft to break - whichever is the weaker as the water cannot be compressed.

Water in the exhaust would be less of a problem as the outlet to the manifold is quite high and although the lower reaches cause the exhaust to steam for a very long time (up to an hour), they usually dry out without any lasting affect. I wouldn't know what the result of heavily contaminated water would be either.

In any case the latter is academic as you should avoid ever getting to it.

In the situation where as a matter of urgency I was making my way through 500mm deep water and some @ss came the other way causing a high wake I would definitely turn it off until it subsided then worry about water in the exhaust. It can only get in if the air comes out and this would buy you some time. However, leaving it running risks the engine being wrecked.

Regards.

Good advice, Anchorman. I've not taken my 4.3 through anything like those depths but, when I bought a Freelander in 2002 I got half a day to play around, under instruction, in one of LandRover's own FLs in a forest. Part of it was to take the FL through a flooded section and, the water almost came up to the bonnet. This was above the officially shown wading depth but the trick was to keep sufficient speed to keep the bow wave just ahead of the vehicle (that caused the water near the air intake to be quite a bit lower) - slow down or stop and you're in trouble as you'd be swamped!!

It's something I keep in mind should it be an emergency - not sure what speed was optimum but I'd drive watching the bow wave and not the speedo. Also, not something to consider if you don't know what the ground under the water is like - so not for fording rivers!

I must admit the FL was amazing in where it could go and, whilst I took my own car in some rough places I never risked it as much as I did the LR own one. I doubt the 4.3 would manage the same but I don't need that now and the Rav4 is a much nicer car for general use. Of course, even the FL wouldn't manage to go where my brother-in-law takes his Defender on a daily basis (he's a gamekeeper).

as above.

Hitting water at even low speed risks damage - for example I hit about 4" of standing water at the roadside at about 20mph and the weight/force of the water broke one of the brake sensor wires at the wheel.

Now, if I was to use the landrover, it would happily wade thru regardless although I'd need to wear waterproofs - as I have to if I take it out when its raining - theres no rubbers around anything....doors, windows, etc!! It does have a snorkel fitted, but worryingly its above the height of my own breathing apparatus (nose) !!

John1944....here's the lane near me...my route to work as well... :o :o :o :o

IMG00019.jpg

Just proves 5drs are better than 3drs, :P :P :P Awaiting celtic in-coming missile!!!

I've noticed that the 4.3 does not have a full length protection cover under the engine compartment to stop the ingress of water, mud etc. This is at odds to my previous Avensis which had a full under engine cover and kept everything under the bonnet clean. Is this because the Rav is designed to go through deep water and the cover/tray would trap water in the engine compartment or is it just Toyota cutting costs?

Any ideas?

Just proves 5drs are better than 3drs, :P :P :P Awaiting celtic in-coming missile!!!

sorry - ma 3 door landrover will out-perform a 5 door dieseely rav any day when it 3' of sludge.

The beast just glides over it if I hit it at a good speed :P

Just adding on to Anchorman's excellent note, the centre of the wheel hub on the Rav4 is around 14 inches above ground level, and a "normal" (boring) car is around 12 inches (to give a quick guide when if you see someone else in the water.) The recommended technique is to drive slowly, pushing a small bow wave ahead of the bumper which reduces the water height behind the bumper.

I've noticed that the 4.3 does not have a full length protection cover under the engine compartment to stop the ingress of water, mud etc. This is at odds to my previous Avensis which had a full under engine cover and kept everything under the bonnet clean. Is this because the Rav is designed to go through deep water and the cover/tray would trap water in the engine compartment or is it just Toyota cutting costs?

Any ideas?

Your RAV should have a full cover. It is by no means sealed but it is as complete as an Avensis cover.

You can see the cover in here;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81467

DON'T WORRY JOHN IT WILL MAKE IT.. :thumbsup:

Not if it's a 3 door it wont, :lol:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Kingo :thumbsup:

it would have made it if he'd been using mud tyres, and slightly more speed, although the air intake is close to the level of mud - a poor attempt!! He could have used a bit of speed and jumped that!!

it would have made it if he'd been using mud tyres, and slightly more speed, although the air intake is close to the level of mud - a poor attempt!! He could have used a bit of speed and jumped that!!

Going back to this issue, and thanks for all the helpful comments; would it be possible to fit a snorkel on the Rav the likes of which you see on Landrover Discoveries !!! Ugly yes, and messy as well with water up to your knees.

John

What is this bad feeling you have??? It seems we are all doomed.

There is no commercially available snorkel for a RAV. You would have to buy one of those hidious Land Rovers. Of course you could have something made or you could just buy a boat!!!

Does anyone know if a meteor deflector kit would affect my radio reception?

Going back to this issue, and thanks for all the helpful comments; would it be possible to fit a snorkel on the Rav the likes of which you see on Landrover Discoveries !!! Ugly yes, and messy as well with water up to your knees.

a diesel landrover is so basic that it will run for as long as the snorkel is above water as it doesn't rely on electrics at all.

The RAV however does. So even with a snorkel/bit of vacuum cleaner tube, it would still cut out as soon as the electrics and all the sensors get liquified!

I don't think my landrover has fuses either whereas the RAV has a few, and some down at the level of the footwell.......

John

or you could just build a boat!!!

Yeah come on John if youv'e had a premonition share it with the rest if us :rolleyes: You aren't collecting 2 of every kind of animal are you? :boat:

John

or you could just build a boat!!!

Yeah come on John if youv'e had a premonition share it with the rest if us :rolleyes: You aren't collecting 2 of every kind of animal are you? :boat:

No guys, nothing sinister here whatsoever, I was just wondering where the divisio line is between a bank balance of £3k, and a bank balance of nil !!!!

Any ideas?

Your RAV should have a full cover. It is by no means sealed but it is as complete as an Avensis cover.

You can see the cover in here;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81467

Many thanks for your reply anchorman, however I have just crawled under the front of my Rav and it does NOT have a full sump cover as shown in your pictures! There is a full length cover on the nearside, but this only covers a third of the width i.e. from the chassis side member across to the side of the exhaust. The offside two-thirds has no cover from the radiator back. Is this because my car is a petrol automatic (although I can't see why this would make a difference) or because Mr T has forgotten to fit one? p.s. I bought the car new 5 months ago.

Looks like I may have to pay my dealer a visit, but will await a reply. Thanks Andrew.

Many thanks for your reply anchorman, however I have just crawled under the front of my Rav and it does NOT have a full sump cover as shown in your pictures! There is a full length cover on the nearside, but this only covers a third of the width i.e. from the chassis side member across to the side of the exhaust. The offside two-thirds has no cover from the radiator back. Is this because my car is a petrol automatic (although I can't see why this would make a difference) or because Mr T has forgotten to fit one? p.s. I bought the car new 5 months ago.

Looks like I may have to pay my dealer a visit, but will await a reply. Thanks Andrew.

Just a quick thought...

Is the cover different for petrol and diesel models? :unsure:

Maybe.

Any chance of a photo?

Kingo - can you confirm?

Cheers

Just a quick thought...

Is the cover different for petrol and diesel models? :unsure:

Not seen you for a bit duncs - everything OK? Mrs still hammering your T180?

Got to sign 180's - any good?

Not seen you for a bit duncs - everything OK? Mrs still hammering your T180?

Not wanting to go too far off thread, but Mrs Duncerduncs is now hammering hers and mine... :lol:

Got to sign 180's - any good?

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

They'll keep you warm when they catch fire...

(I can post you my 180 manual if you want)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links