Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reversing Camera - Using It!

Hoovie

I fitted this reversing camera and it is all up and running - stick the motor in Reverse and see the image behind me and all that :thumbsup:

But .... I am finding it hard to judge the distance. If I look at the screen it seems I have plenty of room, but when I look behind me out the rear window, I am pretty close to whatever I am reversing to :blink:

I guess I have no point of reference with the camera image?, plus need to get used to it (never had a reverse-cam before)?

Any tips from you guys with the cameras?

I used to have a Primera with a camera and found it to be extremely accurate :yes:

Try reversing up to a small plant (of course it won't hurt your car if you touch it) if it looks very close then stop and get out and physically measure it for yourself. I used to be able to reverse up to things and judge a gap of about 3 inches, they really can be that good :)

I have the front and rear parking sensors and they are very good but cannot judge a gap much less than 30cms so I sort of miss the camera :huh:

Hi mate, thats the problem I had, which is why I switched it to 15 degrees from vertical. You cant see

everything behind, but you can see the edge of the bumper. :thumbsup:

Cheers Guys :thumbsup:

Think I will do a little "soft target" practicing first to see if using it 'clicks' in place, but suspect will end up having to angle it (means a bit of a stripdown :( )

Cheers Guys :thumbsup:

Think I will do a little "soft target" practicing first to see if using it 'clicks' in place, but suspect will end up having to angle it (means a bit of a stripdown :( )

Fit your tow bar and use the touch crunch approach...when you get to hear no crunch any more..you know you've cracked it..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

anyone rememeber "The Dambusters" and how they cracked the low level night flying over the dams? using two spotlights that lined up at 60 feet?

That could work well :) Fit two cameras - one each side - angled in, and you get a double image, like bino's not set right - and as you reverse, the image starts to 'come into focus' and when sharp, you're 6" or whatever from the obstacle.

anyone rememeber "The Dambusters" and how they cracked the low level night flying over the dams? using two spotlights that lined up at 60 feet?

That could work well :) Fit two cameras - one each side - angled in, and you get a double image, like bino's not set right - and as you reverse, the image starts to 'come into focus' and when sharp, you're 6" or whatever from the obstacle.

Or you could gaffer tape a torch to each side of the bumper, angled in, and when the beams meet you know you are there. Eassily adjustable for different distances.

Might be a bit of a pain getting out each time you reverse to switch them on though :D

Or you could gaffer tape a torch to each side of the bumper, angled in, and when the beams meet you know you are there. Eassily adjustable for different distances.

Might be a bit of a pain getting out each time you reverse to switch them on though :D

NA... that's what his wife is for....even better now the cold days are here..... :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Pete, you are going to fit in this Rav forum a treat :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Think we are starting to lose touch with reality here boys. :rolleyes:

on second thoughts, scratch the words "Starting to" :lol: :lol:

inset a couple of LEDs at an angle, powered by the reversing light wire ..... Hmmm ...... :ph34r:

Nice idea. With the light from a bright LED you can see the reflection of it and use it for reference.

But it will not work at the day...

Or...mount a laserpointer!

or ..... a Motorised Steel Rule, mounted in a special compartment under the camera.

p2464781_l.jpg

When reverse is selected, the rule pushs out a couple of foot, then as you reverse the car, the rule is pushed back in by the obstacle (other car, wall, granny, etc) and you can see the distance from camera to object to the millimeter by reading the markings on the ruler in the screen display :thumbsup:

I'm off to the Dragons Den with this one :yes:

I'm off to the Dragons Den with this one :yes:

Sorry, I'm out.

Can I expand on Chatman's idea?

Stop messing about, go for the heavy engineering approach and just fit these handy things. You know it makes sense. :yes:

(Sorry for defacing your excellent RAV by the way).

buffers.jpg

NA... that's what his wife is for....even better now the cold days are here..... :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Just put the wife with gaffer tape on the back. If she really screams you´re there. :lol:

Stop messing about, go for the heavy engineering approach and just fit these handy things. You know it makes sense. :yes:

buffers.jpg

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: PMSL whats the betting Anchorman and Duncs will be wanting one of those.

buffers.jpg

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: PMSL whats the betting Anchorman and Duncs will be wanting one of those.

It had to involve trains!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::blowup:

Dam good pimp though Hoovie.....don't you think...You could get a part time job Shunting shopping trolleys in the local supermarket carpark :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wondered that was from, actually :)

I was thinking maybe those round things (buffers?) could be cutting disks and rotated around ready to make more room in parking spaces :yes)

Hoovie....I have some mates who still drive these...You could have the first RAV4 APC.....Now there's a PIMP for ya...............

armywarriorb.jpg

But maybe this is taking the parking thing a step too far....They never have problems of people parking too close or just clipping the wall..........

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

At last a decent bull bar. Can I get one for the front!!!

buffers.jpg

Hoovie if you fit those back + front and remove all four shockers You could have the worlds first RAV4-PENDOLINO :toot:

Hoovie if you fit those back + front and remove all four shockers You could have the worlds first RAV4-PENDOLINO :toot:

Oo Oo ... More Pimps :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hoovie, local heroine has been very concerned about you she has heard terrible weather repots for the S.W. floods + snow etc are you OK?

We were lucky :thumbsup: the town that got the worst of it was just 8 miles or so North.

We had the thunder, lightenining and power kept going off but apart from a lot of rain, no problems :)

Thanks for the concern :), much appreciated.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links