Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is So Great About The Auris?

Zolder

What is in your opinion so great about the Auris?

Most people speak about a dull, not so beautiful, not exciting to drive, ... car.

Why would you choose it over a VW Golf, Ford Focus, ...?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thescotsgod

• balli hi

• T Sport 1978

• Modena

I'm not sure that I would choose Toyota over Ford or Volkwagen when the time comes to change.

I chose Toyota this time because of fond memories of a 1997 Corolla I once owned, the build quality, and durability.

I went from a 2004 Ford Focus, to a 2007 Auris T180 that had serious build quality issues, to a 2008 Auris SR180. The 2004 Ford Focus was built better than both of the Toyota's.

Other manufacturers have made massive improvements over the past ten years, Toyota seem's to have gone backwards, cheap and nasty plastics thrown together. I'd hate to think too hard about long term durability.

Even the rubber mats I brought in March 2008 are about to wear through on the drivers side, after a whole 3,500 miles!

Toyota need to do some serious work, and quick, else the residuals of Toyotas will take a massive hit, and their loyal customer base will walk.

I used to have Golf and I had enough of VW dealer. They never could be bothered to help you and they could charge you arm and leg for a bulb change, but when all the issues were finally sorted the car was trouble free for years. I bought Toyota because of the "reliability" that I haven't seen much yet. I really doubt that the next car is going to be Toyota.

What is in your opinion so great about the Auris?

Most people speak about a dull, not so beautiful, not exciting to drive, ... car.

Why would you choose it over a VW Golf, Ford Focus, ...?

Well I had the Corolla T Sport before and that ownership experience was excellent, customer service at Toyota was great and the car was great. When i come to change i researched quite hard into what to get, but with the money i had i couldn't find anything with the low mileage, kit and performance (on paper at least) as the T180 that i ended up with. Of course i had a preference to another Toyota due to the Corolla's experience so maybe this was a factor, but i am happy with the choice and have been lucky with mine.

What i can say about the car is that it isn't as boring as some people say but it is no hot hatch either, but with the level of equipment that i get with my T180 i am happy with it.

I owned My last car for ten years from new, it was a ford, which gave me ten years trouble free motoring, it never broke down once .

I bought the Auris in April , my first ever toyota , it,s been nothing but trouble , and rather than love the car, i am starting to hate it, i have been back to my dealers more times than i care to mention , the latest being today, i tried to trade it in for a Rav 4 last week , only to be told my Auris, had depreciated by £250 per week , thats £6000 in six months , its like a monkey on my back and i want rid .

I wish i could say something positive , i want to say something positive, but there's nothing ....... :sick: I'm pretty sure my next car will be a ford .

Are we talking about the same Ford here? The one that makes the Focus?? Dreadful car ... hated it when I hired one for a week in the Summer. Uncomfortable, noisy, cheap interior ... It wasn't even on my list of possibilities when I came to buy my new car a couple of months ago.

After some extensive research, I shortlisted two cars - the Auris and the Civic. I arranged test drives on the same day, and after driving both cars, it was a no-brainer - the Auris it was!

Am pleased with my Auris so far ...

By the way, reliability was on the top of my criteria list when it came to shortlisting, and so far, I have not been let down.

Toyota = reliability and quality Japanese car.

Ford and Vaxhaul (Holden here in Australia) lack reliability and build quality.

Toyota all the way!

It does not have the same quality as a Japanese build Toyota, it is a shame since it could have been a great car.

I will go Audi or Lexus next time I buy a car.

Seems some support here for my long held view now that the interior plastics on Toyotas have taken a considerable step backward on the latest Yaris and the Auris which has simply put them back in the general mix when it comes to the competition. As I have said on other threads, I won't change out my E12 Corolla for an Auris simply because the interior quality of the Auris doesn't come anywhere near the quality look and feel of the E12. I had thought about a slight downsize to a Yaris but was shocked at the poor interior plastics again. I had two Yaris Versos prior to the E12 and the latest Yaris interior look and feel is definitely far far worse IMHO. Toyota also seems to be on a mission to design dashboards that resemble Fisher price toys :huh:

... and don't think that upgrading to Lexus will do the trick. I was in a brand new Lexus 4x4 hybrid the other day and took a good look at the interior plastics. All very well screwed together but same cheap, hard plasticky feel as the latest Toyotas and the pretend wood finish was a horrendous near Orange colour!

As someone who has had a fair few Toyotas over the years (Celica, Carina, Yaris Verso and Corolla) and I would certainly at least go looking elsewhere next time whereas I used to simply buy the Toyota that most matched my needs at the time :(

Real shame.

Another thing to look at when comparing cars is the different trim levels. A basic model (e.g.T2) can give a vastly different driving experience to a fully kitted out car (e.g. T Spirit or SR180).

Are we talking about the same Ford here? The one that makes the Focus?? Dreadful car ... hated it when I hired one for a week in the Summer. Uncomfortable, noisy, cheap interior ... It wasn't even on my list of possibilities when I came to buy my new car a couple of months ago.

After some extensive research, I shortlisted two cars - the Auris and the Civic. I arranged test drives on the same day, and after driving both cars, it was a no-brainer - the Auris it was!

Am pleased with my Auris so far ...

By the way, reliability was on the top of my criteria list when it came to shortlisting, and so far, I have not been let down.

I have owned many cars during my time, mainly ford & vauxhall , and i have always found them to be, well built, cheap to run and reliable ,

As far as interiors are concerned , the auris interior is by far the cheapest and tacky i have experienced , After i test drove the Auris , i was having another good look round and checking the quality of the interior, the salesman asked me what i thought of the interior, commenting himself that it was lovely, ....may god strike me down if i am lying , my reply was " no its sh-t " , and it is .

So why buy the car you may ask , the answer, price.

The auris was not first on my list , but it was quite a few grand cheaper than some of its rivals , i also have two children, and for a medium sized car, the cabin seemed well thought out and spacious, [ I think i have just inadvertently said something positive ] .... although boot space was small.

After speaking to a couple of friends who have owned toyota's , i took the plunge .

The problems with the car started from day one , and have progressivley got worse , you don't expect to be having a clutch replaced after 2800 miles , the Toyota Techs for whatever reason cannot get to the bottom of what is making the rear brakes grind & sound like a bus , their latest attempt on tuesday, was to strip the brakes down, de- glaze the discs, whack some copper grease on the back of the pads, and reasemble.

A short term fix, and i told them so ..... the noise is back today . The clutch will need to be looked at again as gear change is no longer smooth , but decidedly lumpy and theres a bit of judder.

So i put it to you, how would you feel , i hope for your sake you continue to have trouble free motoring . Of course you can come on here and state your case, but i somewhat find your comments born out of ignorance .

P.S when hiring a car, you normally get given the most basic model unless you specify and pay more , also i have never found them to drive well, as most would not have been looked after , like privately owned would , and most probably thrashed .

Toyota's build quality does seem to have stagnated and the competition have caught up.

Our other car is a Mitsubishi and in years gone by the Toyota would have been streets ahead, but not anymore. Toyota built their reputation on top notch quality at mainstream prices. Their products were generally 'worthy' and rarely as exciting or novel as other manufacturers, but they sold to the thinking driver who had to pay their own bills.

Toyota need to rethink their strategy or Ford, GM group, VAG group, Suzuki/Mitsubishi/Nissan et al and even the French companies :o are going to overtake them.

From my experience the majority of manufactures have already overtaken Toyota.

As part of my job I used to drive other peoples cars. Just about every make and model. The interior quality of the new Fords (Fiesta, Focus), the Peugeot 207/308, and many more give that feeling of class. Soft touch, durable plastics and superb fit and finish gives the impresion of driving a far more expensive car. The Auris does not feel as good.

I was going to buy an Auris but my Corolla is far better in terms of interior quality, and perhaps reliability.

I have read in these forums that a revised Auris is due next year. Hopefully Mr T will decide that major changes are justified.

Otherwise, I for one will go elsewhere.

I have read in these forums that a revised Auris is due next year. Hopefully Mr T will decide that major changes are justified.

"I have read in these forums that a revised Auris is due next year" ???

WHERE ?

GIVR US SOME LINKS !

Thanks

WHERE ?

GIVR US SOME LINKS !

Thanks

Hi there , just thought i would clarify the new auris situation , i work for toyota sales and we have not heard anything thru the grapevine about a revised auris next year , next year there will be 9 new or revised additions to the toyota group but the auris will not be one of them yet im afraid ;)

WHERE ?

GIVR US SOME LINKS !

Thanks

Hi there , just thought i would clarify the new auris situation , i work for toyota sales and we have not heard anything thru the grapevine about a revised auris next year , next year there will be 9 new or revised additions to the toyota group but the auris will not be one of them yet im afraid ;)

Do you know if Toyota will upgrade or change the MMT gear in Auris in 2009 or sales it with full-auto gear?

WHERE ?

GIVR US SOME LINKS !

Thanks

Do you know if Toyota will upgrade or change the MMT gear in Auris in 2009 or sales it with full-auto gear?

Hi, At the moment as far as i or the sales team know toyota are happy with the MM/T box , we get asked a lot if they will bring a full auto box out like the corolla but as you know the whole of the toyota range is geared at the MM/T box the new avensis in jan will have this box as the TR model does now , so as of right now it would be safe to say that the full auto box is a gonner and the semi auto MM/T is here to stay.................but never say never ;)

Toyota need to rethink their strategy or Ford, GM group, VAG group, Suzuki/Mitsubishi/Nissan et al and even the French companies :o are going to overtake them.

You are kidding right?? :rolleyes:

Toyota is the number one seller of cars around the world. They have taken over GM, Ford and any other popular car maker.

Ford and Mitsubishi here in Australia are closing down plants and sacking staff almost every month... Toyota is making the big bucks!!

Why? Cos they have fuel efficient cars like Corolla, Prius and Yaris. The build quality is awesome and so is the reliability.

Please dont talk garbage baldy.

Toyota is the number one seller of cars around the world. They have taken over GM, Ford and any other popular car maker.

Ford and Mitsubishi here in Australia are closing down plants and sacking staff almost every month... Toyota is making the big bucks!!

Why? Cos they have fuel efficient cars like Corolla, Prius and Yaris. The build quality is awesome and so is the reliability.

So Modena,

Perhaps you have the facts & figures to back up your claim ?

The build quality is awesome and so is the reliability.

Awesome? Blimey, what are you comparing it with... ?

The build quality used to be excellent across a range of Toyota models. Sadly it is now only average since the changeout to the Auris and Yaris Mk2. I excuse the Aygo (awful though the interior plastics are) because it's a relatively cheap car built alongside Pugs and Citroens. Don't have any experience of such as the Avensis or Rav so can't comment.

That Toyota quality generally is in reverse gear is sadly a fact if you compare with many previous models. But maybe that is true of other manufacturers too (not that that's an excuse mind).

Sure you do not get cool perks like a cup holder that has bottle opener built, or flip key. However other than the handbrake I think the interior is far superior in terms of design than the dark dated 80's VW interior. The Auris is light, modern and has loads of space for passengers and the strong D-4D engines made it attractive long term investment.

Yes I am concerned about the issues mention have no regrets. My parents Avensis is better but you pay allot more... in fact you get what you pay for.

The build quality is awesome and so is the reliability.

Awesome? Blimey, what are you comparing it with... ?

The build quality used to be excellent across a range of Toyota models. Sadly it is now only average since the changeout to the Auris and Yaris Mk2. I excuse the Aygo (awful though the interior plastics are) because it's a relatively cheap car built alongside Pugs and Citroens. Don't have any experience of such as the Avensis or Rav so can't comment.

That Toyota quality generally is in reverse gear is sadly a fact if you compare with many previous models. But maybe that is true of other manufacturers too (not that that's an excuse mind).

I guess the build quality in Australia is different to UK. Do you get your cars from Japan or are they made locally?

Ford and Holden (Vauxhal for you) here in Australia have a SHOCKING build quality and reliability.

Threads like the one below are too common here:

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=96585 (GM Holden forum)

So Modena,

Perhaps you have the facts & figures to back up your claim ?

Yes.

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=96585

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=106659

The above threads are very common.

Also read this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCandidate...53418GM20081106

WHERE ?

GIVR US SOME LINKS !

Thanks

Its in the thread "MultidriveS Trasmission, Can Toyota assemble it in the Auris" from Parts King second message dated 5.11.08.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links