Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Chugga Chugga Chugga Bang!

mollycorolla

my rolla done that this evening!!! :( its been a bit jumpy in the mornings and i blamed the cold. but i done it in the evening time today and it actually took a while to start!!! any suggestions??? :(

my rolla done that this evening!!! :( its been a bit jumpy in the mornings and i blamed the cold. but i done it in the evening time today and it actually took a while to start!!! any suggestions??? :(

is your car diesel or petrol?

black smoke??? if its a diesel, when was the last time your glow plugs where replaced? :)

Is it missing when it is running? What about when its up to temp?

its a petrol. only had service 2k ago. its grand once its up to temp but this evening it wasnt cold at all.

what i do now???? :P i dont know anything about cars :(

its a petrol. only had service 2k ago. its grand once its up to temp but this evening it wasnt cold at all.

petrol :) - i have no idea lol

how many miles has your car done? is the starter motor ok or is it turning over slower than usual?

the black smoke i dont get either, is never a good thing comming from a petrol :s

sorry i cudnt be more help :(

Black smoke on a Petrol sound like its running rich to me and overfuelling, is there any chance she has a bad batch of fuel in her?

filled her up in tesco the other night.... hmmm.... someone told me not to go there....

shes got 94k done... ??? starter motor is grand normally, but she is just a bit jumpy when i take foot of the clutch when changing gear.

Could be plugs, clogged air filter, air/fuel mixture, wires, coil, etc

I would take it to the people who serviced it and them what they have done to it!

yea kinda only started around then. but thats when the weather got bitterly cold too ! !

yea kinda only started around then. but thats when the weather got bitterly cold too ! !

Good luck getting it sorted, it could be simple and cheap, lets hope it is :yes:

If it hard to start id say coolant temp sensor, prob telling the ECU its colder than it is. That could be why is running rich, black smoke on cold start

Tesco fuel comes from the same place as all the other garages. Its all coming out of the same tank.

Not saying it is this but -

MAP sensor mounted on bulkhead behind injection unit - three wires going to it - any broken?

Temperature sensor - mounted on side of air filter box -is it 'pushed in correctly' or again any wires broken going to it.

Also - before this recent 'problem' all happened did the 'revs' when ideling/sat at traffic lights etc. seem to 'burble'/flutter up and down (almost try to stall but then 'pick up again)?

hey twincam thats all double dutch to me!! but about the revs thing. ehhh i always do that in traffic, bad clutch control and i stall now and again lol ;) i was fiddling with stuff and wires when i painted the thingey in the engine.... but that was few months ago and it wasnt happening back then... think i may just get it checked out but i dont have the time!!! :(

hey twincam thats all double dutch to me!! but about the revs thing. ehhh i always do that in traffic, bad clutch control and i stall now and again lol ;) i was fiddling with stuff and wires when i painted the thingey in the engine.... but that was few months ago and it wasnt happening back then... think i may just get it checked out but i dont have the time!!! :(

The question is are the revs going up and down when she's just ticking over and your in neutral, not when your doing some dodgy driving! :lol: ;)

no she only does it when im moving a tiny bit in traffic say, feels like i really need to rev it or else it stalls??? but not when im just sitting there in neutral. have no rev counter and its kinda hard to hear with the music pumping :walkman: , but no it defo dont do that anyway. :D

cabcurtains Posted Today, 02:58 PM

QUOTE (mollycorolla @ Nov 8 2008, 11:33 PM)

hey twincam thats all double dutch to me!! but about the revs thing. ehhh i always do that in traffic, bad clutch control and i stall now and again lol

The question is are the revs going up and down when she's just ticking over

Correct !

Thank you sir B)

And as has been confirmed by the young lady it don't - so that rules out (from my own experiance) the Lambda /O2 sensor playing up - at 98,000 i'm sure it will have been replaced anyway by now (on AE111 1997 to 2000pre facelift era Corollas they tend to only last approx 50,000 - 70,000 mile).

This fault (if it WAS serviced corectly and NO wires were knocked when engine bay was 'decorated' ;) ) tends to make me think it still is the MAP sensor area - apart from 3 wires breaking that go into it (which I mentioned earlier) the Vacumn tube and 'one way' valve along it that connects it to the inlet manifold can get clogged with oil vapour (cost of new tube is under a fiver) and thus gives the ECU wrong readings (makes it run richer /black smoke etc.), at 98,000 mile this is another likely cause. Also this fault will NOT necessarily trigger a code and inturn throw the MIL light on.

wow all that went straight over my head!! :( wish i could understand

she is not screwed, its a toyota, they never get screwed, oh that sounds so bold lol

have you done the self diagnostic test?

bridge terminals TE1 and E1 - look under the bonnet, lil black plastic cover with dianostic written on it (paper clip is handy for this, i use wire with stripped ends) and count the flashes the check engine light does on the dash board with the engine running. tell me how many flashes and in what sequence and we can take it from there. i know you dont do manuals but a get a Haynes............

cars is far from fcuked despite what some "experts" may say.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links