Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattle

JoBaxi

Car rattles a bit when setting off from first, and a cranking noise can be heard from time to time.

Car temp is fine, but clutch seems a bit "stiff" especially when pushed down fully....or could it be a headgasket problem like irishjays?

Sounds as if the exhaust is rattling, but under the hood'

Any ideas anyone?

Car rattles a bit when setting off from first, and a cranking noise can be heard from time to time.

Car temp is fine, but clutch seems a bit "stiff" especially when pushed down fully....or could it be a headgasket problem like irishjays?

Sounds as if the exhaust is rattling, but under the hood'

Any ideas anyone?

hello

diesel or petrol ?

cheers/Igor

Hey,

Diesel..

ok then - what are you observations during acceleration? whether this rattle sound disapears or still on the air?

cheers/Igor

Dissapears totally after 1,200rpm./ as soon as the clutch is up and setteled. Car accerates smooth all the way past 4,000rpm.

Thanks.

Dissapears totally after 1,200rpm./ as soon as the clutch is up and setteled. Car accerates smooth all the way past 4,000rpm.

Thanks.

by the way - any smoky exhaust vissible? if so - what is the real colour of this smoke?

another question -- when started and heard rattle -- open the bonnet and touch the engine ---- whether its is vibrated or not?

another question --- what is the last air filter changed? besides you can accelerate the engine when it is running manually -- rev it sharply and see what is going on --- is it accelerated fastly without detone? what is sound heard from turbocharger?

come back

Igor

I'l check the engine after skool run in 20mins,

last air filter change, cant say for sure. i knw it was changed at 30k, but dont have reciept for 40k, or 60k service with the service due nw. when bought the car 3days ago, no smoke was visiable upon accelrating. but did notice a light white smoke coming from the back when i took the car past 3,000 rpm ealier today. I will ring toyota and ask them if they have a record of work done to car as car is full toyota service history, just missing a few reciepts.

Thanks for your help so far.

I'l check the engine after skool run in 20mins,

last air filter change, cant say for sure. i knw it was changed at 30k, but dont have reciept for 40k, or 60k service with the service due nw. when bought the car 3days ago, no smoke was visiable upon accelrating. but did notice a light white smoke coming from the back when i took the car past 3,000 rpm ealier today. I will ring toyota and ask them if they have a record of work done to car as car is full toyota service history, just missing a few reciepts.

Thanks for your help so far.

check with all records first

otherwise all words are for nothing/

cheers

Hey, yeah checked with toyota today. FSH with them. Timing belt done when the guy said it was done (50k).

I had the car serviced today, and thats got rid of the light smoke, and had a look at the old air filter and it was green! as in slimey green.....

Also asked him what this noise was, and he test drove it and reported that it was most likely the flywheel. (uh oh...). but he advised me to make sum money back from the car and change the flywheel and clutch later, and just drive the car as it is for time being. but problem is, its very noisy now. sounds like a whole load of spanners and grinders going on......

Will look around in scrapyard for maybe clutch and flywheel. I know quite a few scrapyards, and should get it at a reasonable rate. Or maybe just buy new one on the credit card (since the car is gona be used as taxi, i'l make it all back anyway)

What do you think?

It is the flywheeel. Costing me £600 to put right. I would normally swaer and rant at this point, but I dot want to be booted out of this forum....

It is the flywheeel. Costing me £600 to put right. I would normally swaer and rant at this point, but I dot want to be booted out of this forum....

so much for toyotas reliabilty jobaxi my car has 50k and it needs a new head gasket and just got injectors in today !!!!!!!!never again mate thank god on warranty , but looking at other threads here some people have had to get the head gasket changed several times without warranty any more mishaps and its going to be took away and :blowup: its 2006 !!!! unbelieveble mate not working tonight or 2morow trying to get the trusty vectra sorted for school runs on monday ,,, im beginning to think toyotas reputation for reliability is because they are drove by men aged 80 bout 30mph for maybe 10 miles a day,, i can understand that cars break down , but when there are common faults in a lot of the same car like my 2.2,, then they should be rectified and recalled

Too right Jay,

Toyota a mena be really good, but despite my car being in general in good condition, (FTSH), and all fluids changed when they should have, Im stil having to pay £600 less than a week after i bought it. The car made no noises when test drove, but two days later loud flywheel playing up. Maybe it's my luck, but such a part knackered at 70k is a bit of a shock.

The problem is, the modern diesels i reckon. trust me, i have been on sum ragged toyota hiace's and hilux's in north pakistan and kashmir, and they are well and truly <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ed, but still running, what i would call toyota reability, but with the modern diesels, they've got sumat wrong.

No offence to toyota owners, but the car is bland. but that means realiable electronics and easy suspension/brake repairs if needed. Iv just bought the car, and to be honest i was super confident before of toyota reability, but now its just confident. But my audi is at 185k, and stil going strong so the toyota has already a high benchmark in my eyes. But we'l see, and hopefully fingers crossed it'l be a sound investment. If i was in your shoes Jay, as soon as warranty finishes, flog it? and maybe get a 1.8petrol. Now they mena be real good....(but i hear a lot of things that dont turn out to be true, so cant comment really)

Good luck tho Jay, you and me are dependant on our cars for our income, and hopefully toyota was the right way to go in the end....

lol mate , wish i could flog it , but in this financial climate i doubt id get rid of it , cars just arent moving any more ,,,, 1.8 petrol big problems too lol excesssive oil use a litre every 600 miles!!!!like yourself i have my old vectra here first of the new shape 2003 and im going to have to drive that,, it has 240k on it and not a problem apart from suspension rattle ,,, lol suspension rattles sounds like pure bliss , compared to gaskets and clutches!!

Yeah, am thinking same thing, maybe i should have plated the audi, £1200 expense and the car is 185k. suspension rattles a lil, a few scratches to remove, air mass meter and few other minor parts and it would have been taxi. I paid £2.5k for 2001 D4D kaz bodywork was near perfect, eveything as it shud be, FTSH, 70k, timing belt done, 4xnew tyres. didnt mind paying a bit extra kaz am gona recoup all the costs on taxis....

But like 4days later, £600 bill for flywheel and clutch. Yikes!

So for me, £3100 on car, £900 deposit on insurance, (£85 per week) £300 plate fee and cost me £220 for my Badge, £200 for aerial, meter and stickers and i'v not picked up a single fare yet. lolz.....

BUT, fingers crossed, i will have a good car then, and it being diesel, HOPEFULLY it'l do atleast another 200,000miles.... (come on toyota, show me what you got)

Yeah, am thinking same thing, maybe i should have plated the audi, £1200 expense and the car is 185k. suspension rattles a lil, a few scratches to remove, air mass meter and few other minor parts and it would have been taxi. I paid £2.5k for 2001 D4D kaz bodywork was near perfect, eveything as it shud be, FTSH, 70k, timing belt done, 4xnew tyres. didnt mind paying a bit extra kaz am gona recoup all the costs on taxis....

But like 4days later, £600 bill for flywheel and clutch. Yikes!

So for me, £3100 on car, £900 deposit on insurance, (£85 per week) £300 plate fee and cost me £220 for my badge, £200 for aerial, meter and stickers and i'v not picked up a single fare yet. lolz.....

BUT, fingers crossed, i will have a good car then, and it being diesel, HOPEFULLY it'l do atleast another 200,000miles.... (come on toyota, show me what you got)

Wots the trade like for taxi over there mate??????????/ here in Belfast has slowed down ,,,,,, am thinking when i get this toyota back im going to trade it in for a skoda superb ,, good car im told and very relaible also with the current credit crunch ive been told Skoda are doing everything to entice new buyers ,, my mate who is a taxi driver traded his old volkwagon passat with 200k on it against a skoda superb and they gave him 2 grand for a trade in price for his VW!!! so thats the plan ,, when i get my avensis back ,, any more trouble in the next 30k(6 mounths) its getting traded in , and bye bye bye toyota , bye bye

To irishjay & Jo Baxi.

Toyotas may not be the cars they once (quality) had been. But don't think Audis are that much better, certainly build quality is miles ahead of Toyota, but take front suspension for example 8 seperate wish bones to think of & they take a hammering from bad roads. Electrical faults galore with prices even more costly than Toyota. Skoda are another superb car with VAG running gear, different Badge keeps the price down but as above again pricey & electrical problems.

Cars now really are a computer on wheels & the days of low running costs are long gone, cats, lambdas & EGR valves will & do fail on all these cars so it's horses for courses. The majority of local taxis are toyotas & that must be for a reason. 2.2d engine would appear to give problems along with D-Cats, to my mind the best is the 2litre 116bhp D4D maybe a little under powered but a very reliable engine if well maintained.

Anyway good luck with your Skoda if you decide to change, try car site called "Honest John" for in depth (not sponsored by any car body) details on particular model to see the real ups & downs of these cars.

Down here, its pretty competitve. Wana make any money, you gotta put in the hours...

Yes audi has over complicated suspension, but you know that when you buy it. It does have eletrical problems, and can be expensive to maintain and fix, but you know that Badge means 2 things, quality and not cheap. When you buy a toyota, its a car that represnts 2 things, good value for money, and a car that doesnt break down often. It's a total shock when head gaskets start going, and flywheels staert knackering. you would have thought, even though they are parts that are under strain, and complex, they are basics of cars. Engine and Drivetrain is something toyota should be masters at. So when they fail at low, or lowish mileage its a bit of a shock. But they are cars, designed to fail to keep the companies in the money.

Yeah skoda is a brill car, but I probably would go for another Jap to be honest. Maybe toyota made thier D4D's half ubikd, but it shouldnt put you off jap. Its my first jap, but i understand the difference. !Removed! are simply, simpler cars. Therefore cheaper to run. I saved £20 on the normal service, and over time that builds up. Also things like power steering, and electricals are unlikely to fail, and could save you more then.

With new cars, i dont know Jay, maybe you could try skoda. But i still think even tho the avensis has been a bit pain, it still can prove itself yet. And dont know if it helps jay, my cuz just bought 55 D4D, and i think he paid 5.3k. just to give you an idea what is being paid for these cars incase you do wish to sell.

Down here, its pretty competitve. Wana make any money, you gotta put in the hours...

Yes audi has over complicated suspension, but you know that when you buy it. It does have eletrical problems, and can be expensive to maintain and fix, but you know that badge means 2 things, quality and not cheap. When you buy a toyota, its a car that represnts 2 things, good value for money, and a car that doesnt break down often. It's a total shock when head gaskets start going, and flywheels staert knackering. you would have thought, even though they are parts that are under strain, and complex, they are basics of cars. Engine and Drivetrain is something toyota should be masters at. So when they fail at low, or lowish mileage its a bit of a shock. But they are cars, designed to fail to keep the companies in the money.

Yeah skoda is a brill car, but I probably would go for another Jap to be honest. Maybe toyota made thier D4D's half ubikd, but it shouldnt put you off jap. Its my first jap, but i understand the difference. !Removed! are simply, simpler cars. Therefore cheaper to run. I saved £20 on the normal service, and over time that builds up. Also things like power steering, and electricals are unlikely to fail, and could save you more then.

With new cars, i dont know Jay, maybe you could try skoda. But i still think even tho the avensis has been a bit pain, it still can prove itself yet. And dont know if it helps jay, my cuz just bought 55 D4D, and i think he paid 5.3k. just to give you an idea what is being paid for these cars incase you do wish to sell.

yeh i maybe should give it one more chance ,, if anything big goes wrong then getting sold on ,,,,i think my d4d was built in poland not jap lol i bought this car with 39k for 6,600 , its just looking at some previous threads on here that one guys head gasket failed 4 times on the same model as mine and he had to pash cash for 3 of them!!!!!!!!! one chance lol if clutch goes or gasket again bye bye bye ,,, i need peace of mind when driving , dont want to be worried 24-7 mate ,, done a few runs tonight in the vectra ,, bleedin engine management light came on for a min arghhhhh lol well wot do i expect with 240k on the clock !!!!!!!!, vectras do that somtimes ,just turn of and on and it sorts itself out , good british technology hahahahahah

Yeah, i want the peace of mind thing as well. Why dont you, sell and buy old avensis. Max you gona pay is £2.5k, find a low mileage, FSH one, and put £1k aside for wear and tear, and you'l have bit of money left over. It is a taxi, you need sumat to do the job, earn you money.?

Or does dublin have them rules where the car cant be older than 3/5years.......no exceptions.

My dad had a 96' Dti vectra. worst car i ever drove in terms of all these lights, engine light come on and off whenever, sometimes the wiper. the car door light was always on, rattles never ever gdrove in a straight line, smoked like F!, for someone who likes to keep thier cars in top condition, it was friggin annoying, but it did the job. mile after mile until box' exploded. hehe. (more my driving iy like i stole it, but in reality i just wanted to get from A to B quick as possiable to get out da damn car)

I think you should keep avensis until warranty expires. and then if you can, (dublin licensing allowing), buy older avensis limiting the amount of money your going to lose in worst case case when engine melts or sumthin.

Toyotas reliability isnt what it once was, but cars are much more complicated these days..but what car doesnt have its problems. As for VAG, I was talking to a taxi man with a new model Passat 06 2.0 TDI Sport a few nights ago and he said that in 70k, its had flywheel, clutch, oil pump and an engine :unsure: My mate also works in Volkswagen and says that they have shed loads of problems...look into any make of car and i guarantee it will make scary reading. The old 1.9's may be better though, thats what most Superb taxis seem to be. In regards to CDTI Vectras (new model) I have heard loads of taxi men that own them saying they are complete crap (and id believe it being Vaux)

As for flywheels, these dual mass jobbies are giving bother in all diesel cars regardless of make.

When i went to buy my Toyota, i was looking through problem pages in Honest John and it took 7 pages of Audi, Ford, BMW, even Honda before I found a Toyota and even then it was something stupid...

Loads of Taxi Drivers I have spoke too have 2.0 D4D Avensis and they say that they are fantastic with no real problems...though i have heard of shed loads of problems with the 2.2's...Toyota really should recall them, the problems are unacceptable. In regards to the oil consumption prob of the 1.8's was this not fixed in the newer models?

In general though Toyotas are reliable cars, even with problems they are still more reliable than most things.

Toyotas reliability isnt what it once was, but cars are much more complicated these days..but what car doesnt have its problems. As for VAG, I was talking to a taxi man with a new model Passat 06 2.0 TDI Sport a few nights ago and he said that in 70k, its had flywheel, clutch, oil pump and an engine :unsure: My mate also works in Volkswagen and says that they have shed loads of problems...look into any make of car and i guarantee it will make scary reading. The old 1.9's may be better though, thats what most Superb taxis seem to be. In regards to CDTI Vectras (new model) I have heard loads of taxi men that own them saying they are complete crap (and id believe it being Vaux)

As for flywheels, these dual mass jobbies are giving bother in all diesel cars regardless of make.

When i went to buy my Toyota, i was looking through problem pages in Honest John and it took 7 pages of Audi, Ford, BMW, even Honda before I found a Toyota and even then it was something stupid...

Loads of Taxi Drivers I have spoke too have 2.0 D4D Avensis and they say that they are fantastic with no real problems...though i have heard of shed loads of problems with the 2.2's...Toyota really should recall them, the problems are unacceptable. In regards to the oil consumption prob of the 1.8's was this not fixed in the newer models?

In general though Toyotas are reliable cars, even with problems they are still more reliable than most things.

why oh why did i get a 2.2 then lol!!! im hoping i dont get any more 2000 pound problems!!like you said they should be recalled , but they havent been recalled ,, years ago toyota were reilable , but they definetly arent as relaible as they used to be , new vauxhalls have there problems too but they definetly arent as expensive as toyotas problems, i had a 2.2 first of the new shape and with 240k which was, and is still a great taxi (now avensis is in garage)apart from pads and tyres i spent a further 150 quid getting an immobiliser problem sorted thats it, i service my cars every 10k to keep them running,,,,,, toyotas unrelaibility goes way beyond there cars ,, like you said earlier" they should be recalled "but havent been , i told them lots of times i was losing water ,,, oh nothings wrong sir,, the whole company needs a good shake up , in this finacial climate they should start to realise that the consumer wont take there pass the buck methods anymore ,, oh ring toyota gb , oh ring japan ,, oh ring your local dealer lol big runnabout ,, thats the only good thing bout this credit crunch ,,, we may hopefully start to get the service we deserve as there car sales are slowing down , i think its the least we deserve as we are spending 1000s of pounds on there products ,, hopefully when i get 2.2 d4d back there wont be any more 2000 problems , like i said earlier if there is bye bye bye skoda here i come ,, but i really hope the toyota is good , its like santa . you really want to believe really really really lol dont let me down toyota lol i really want you to live up to your name , fingers xxx it dosent and i can recommend it to all my drunken customers,, edit:: i forgot to add that the car was in to get new injectors and if it hadnt been for this forum i would have believed that the loss of coolant was normal like they had told me

To irishjay,

You will relate to this more than the English Taxi drivers. You would be aware of people down south driving around in big E-Class Mercs as Taxis fooling themselves that car does 40 to 45 mpg & has low running costs. Try this for size, new set of injectors to cure holding back problem when foot to the floor, followed by new SAMS unit to cure problem this following endless trips to Mercs & your talking €2000 plus & also endless problems with front suspension ball joints.

So you see most modern cars are the same in one respect, series repair bill costs when they go bang, as to Vectras forget it. I know some people buy pricey cars & never never have a problem. But i would still go Japanese everytime.

If going German go for the 1.9Tdi Passat pre 03 with the straight forward McPherson strut suspension, a very very good car.

so i guess the saying " you get what you pay for" dosent apply to taxi driving and instead of spending big money trying to get peace of mind , i should spend not so big money trying to get peace of mind lol thanks for advice on passat will go to that honest john site and check it out ,,,, but have you ever known a car that has got its head gasket fixed and been problem free afterwards??????????????????????????????????????

Maybe you just got unlucky & ended up with a friday afternoon car. I have not really carried out much work on the 2.2d as most still within the dealer network warranty wise. Have heard a few horror stories, but you seem to have been particulary unlucky which is no good when your car is your living.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links