Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Post Engine Replacement Trouble

cunny595

Hey guys i'm new to this kind of thing so i don't fully know how it works but i am giving it a bash. My name is Adam Condliffe i am 21, my farther has had a company car for about 7 years and it is a Toyota Avensis 1998 2.0 CDX now when he got a new company car the Avensis was so reliable that he wanted to buy it for me which he did. Now i have had it for a couple of years and recently the cam belt snapped, the car has done 208000 miles, i loved the car so much i decided to have my mate install a new engine which he did, there were a few problems which got solved but now the car has cut out completely. We have tried alot of things such as sensors, making sure its earthed, making sure fueling system is working, Battery, spark plugs, ht leads and we think that it may be the ECU becasue the engine was from a W reg(the engines are pre August 2000 so no problems there)? Any ideas? Maybe Crank sensor? The timing is perfect on it but maybe the timing from the ECU. Also does anyone know if i change the ECU does the key barrel and everything have to be changed too?

Please can anyone help

Adam

Sounds complicated, any chance of some error codes (otherwise guess work & guess work means wasted money ) might start the ball rolling & at least give you an area you can start from. Will engine turn over or no responce when key turned ?

Sounds complicated, any chance of some error codes (otherwise guess work & guess work means wasted money ) might start the ball rolling & at least give you an area you can start from. Will engine turn over or no responce when key turned ?

Ok in terms of engine codes there are multiple on computer but we think thats because of it being a different engine, there is compression the engine tries to turn over and does a bit but recently we checked the spark plugs after trying to start it up and they should be soaked with fuel if there is no detination at all but they are dry. We also tried easy start to check if its a fueling problem and its not that. I think its the ignition timing from the ECU. DO you think i need to get the ECU from the old car that the engine came out of or could i get it re programmed for this one?

Thank you for your help most appreciated

Adam

That's a brain teaser that one. Would you be able to compare part number from your ECM with ECM from engine donation car??? I think you will need more than a code reader on that one, it is possible that starting system & ECM cannot communicate with each other & you may well need some proper hardware to carry this out. Even trip to Toyota. We did have a Rover 400 into garage with supposed fueling problems recently or complete lack of fuel to be precise, auto electrician & most of staff pulling hair out over it. Then apprentice who had just returned from block release training asked if anybody had checked fuel cut - off box behind centre consul, you guessed it plunger had been activated ( car took a knock ) plunger up engine started.

Just goes to show you cannot see the wood for the tree's sometimes, i take it you cannot/can hear fuel pump energizing with ignition switched on ??????

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links