Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Diesels.....help

bigoink

Before shelling out a lot of cash on a new / newish 4x4 ,i would just like to ask the experts out there about the shortcommings of the toyota diesel engine range. Which diesel s are to be avoided and why ? ........ I have seen some bad press recently about engine failiures at low mileages. Which are the best for reliability ?

Before shelling out a lot of cash on a new / newish 4x4 ,i would just like to ask the experts out there about the shortcommings of the toyota diesel engine range. Which diesel s are to be avoided and why ? ........ I have seen some bad press recently about engine failiures at low mileages. Which are the best for reliability ?

Hmm, well my Landcruiser is a September 2003 Diesel Auto. It hasn't given any trouble yet. I'm not quite sure what bad press you're referring to - TOYOTA engines? Are you sure? I mean, I consider Toyota to be the most reliable car out there.

The only "shortcoming" I can level at my 3 litre D4D is that it lacks a little punch. I understand the reasoning for this = better off road performance etc. But really, I feel my car could do with a few extra HP at lower RPM. It just doesn't feel KAPOW enough.

But as for reliability - no probs in 30 years of Toyota ownership.

The earlier RAV 4 D4D 2.0L suffered with the dreaded Duall Mass Flywheel problems (DMF) as some models had Bad design. Toyota tried to rectify this with increasing the waranty to 5 years or 60k.... but each one is considered on and idividual case...but can be ££££ once fixed or had the newer design... goes a treat and smooth'ish gear change... not gonna rip the rubber of the tyres though.. still good for keeping up with motorway traffic and beyond :rolleyes:

The newer 2.2 D4D and 2.2 D4D-DCat engines I believe are proving trouble free and the T180 is a barn stormer of an engine....

Oh, and I'd go for new-ISH, rather than new. Used landcruiser prices are falling so fast, you can hear them break the sound barrier!

Try a RAV 4 T180 - I bought one new in Sept 2008 and the engine is fantastic as is the rest of the vehicle, just put your foot down and see it go!

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the L and C range of diesels had bad heads. I think its only when they were turboed

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links