Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Catilic Converter Has Packed In!

kangzy

Hi guys,

I need ur help and advice! My catilic converter has packed in n needs to b replaced

My car is still under warruntee but iv got an after market exhaust from da cat back.. Can i still get it replaced or wld it be invalid?

If i cant how much am i looking at for a new one?

Wld u guys recommend getin one from da breakers yard???

And if so wat do i look for to make sure it wont colapse any time soon???

Is da cat for da tsport da same as da compressor??

Any advice is ver much welcome..

Thanks guys

shaun

I asked my garage about my warranty as i fitted an aftermarket exhaust system from the cat back. If its still the original cat then they should replace it no problems. If its an aftermarket one have you not got a warranty with them?

Hi guys,

I need ur help and advice! My catilic converter has packed in n needs to b replaced

My car is still under warruntee but iv got an after market exhaust from da cat back.. Can i still get it replaced or wld it be invalid?

If i cant how much am i looking at for a new one?

Wld u guys recommend getin one from da breakers yard???

And if so wat do i look for to make sure it wont colapse any time soon???

Is da cat for da tsport da same as da compressor??

Any advice is ver much welcome..

Thanks guys

shaun

THE!!

Mart.

ye i was tinking tat.. but is dere any way dey cld turn rnd n say tat my custom exhaust was da cause of da break dwn?

m8 just get a sports cat they last longer and give you some extra gains.

also they may turn around and say that your exhaust system was the cause cos the standard cat is not designed to take in the extra flow through aftermarket exhaust systems.

i guess it depends on who you go to, to get this problem sorted

Try ringing some random Toyota dealer miles away from where you live and ask them. As I know some dealers in the same area all use the same call centre so they know if you've called one garage and asked.

I've had Warranty work carried out on my engine when I had the K&N Typhoon installed. I think it depends on how generous the mechanic is feeling.

also they may turn around and say that your exhaust system was the cause cos the standard cat is not designed to take in the extra flow through aftermarket exhaust systems.

ye i was worried bout tat..

i actulli asked da guy who actuli fitted my exhaust as to weda da sports cat was an option but was told dat my ecu would go crazy n cause problems.. n opinions? know ckman fited a sports cat to da tsport but is da car n layout da same for da compressor?

ye i was worried bout tat..

i actulli asked da guy who actuli fitted my exhaust as to weda da sports cat was an option but was told dat my ecu would go crazy n cause problems.. n opinions? know ckman fited a sports cat to da tsport but is da car n layout da same for da compressor?

sports cat making ecu going crazy? i never heard that one before lol maybe some remapping maybe required but i dont know anything on that subject to be honest.

i dont know about the layout of tsport and compressor either. best to PM someone here with a compressor and ask to see what the layout is.

best to do what kearon said and call a few random toyota dealers and see what each of them say.

Do you still have the old system?

If so get it refitted and then head to Mr T, if after the random dealer phone call (where you confess to the custom exhaust) they wont do it under warranty due to the modification.

If you havent got it then you'll have to hope a Mr T is desperate for work and is willing to do it turning a blind eye....then putting the claim in to TUK with no mention of the mod/mods.

i would be careful kangzy, on my old corolla i had a cat back system at first, the dealer had a look at my car and noted it down saying its not under warranty. i went to purchase parts and the gentlement came out to have a look and said to me its not under warranty because of the exhaust.

It depends on the person aswell, he seemed like a bit of a nasty bloke aswell.

Regardless look for a sports cat, many people are saying on the celica forums for the 2zz-ge that a decat unleashes a fair bit of power, so a less restrictive cat will probably help your cat back system. Its a good time to invest and change the cat now aswell.

But i would stress give it a go and phone a dealer to see what they say. Im sure the warranty for the rest of your car will not be affected.

hmm.. ye il av to giv it a go?

i just called up for a quick qoute..£960!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!! supppsedly da cat is part of da ful exhaust (which it aint).. has any one got part number?

wjich sports cat do u guys recommend? n hw much am i looking at price wise?

right mate i have tried searching for a sports cat and it would seem it dont exist for e12's :( lol

damn e12's everything is so difficult to find!

and for normal cats its proving quite tough to find one! i tired japarts but they aint got any.

its worth trying this site its for jetex sports cats....they can make them to suit your car. but instead of inputting your make and model it asks you to put in your engine type, your power output and the diameter of your piping...and they cost around under £300.

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/sportscatalysts.php

sorry mate thats all i could find.

good luck

cheers mate i appreciate it!

does any1 av a picture of da underside of da t sport???

I am sure CKMan put a Magnaflow 200 cell sport on his CTS, i cant remember the cost but have a search on the web and i'm sure you'll find it. :)

kangzy,hi i had my compressor in at the dealers on saturday for the noise on the front pipe,the service guy came back to me and asked if it was the standard system? i said as far as i know i have only had it 5 weeks and he replied it must be then as they were converted by tte.the dealers don't now what they are! oh and mine has a custom s/s exhaust.springs and bolts are on order all under warranty.just take it in and have a try if you get it serviced there they will want to keep your custom when your warranty has expired especialy in the current economic climate.

kangzy,hi i had my compressor in at the dealers on saturday for the noise on the front pipe,the service guy came back to me and asked if it was the standard system? i said as far as i know i have only had it 5 weeks and he replied it must be then as they were converted by tte.the dealers don't now what they are! oh and mine has a custom s/s exhaust.springs and bolts are on order all under warranty.just take it in and have a try if you get it serviced there they will want to keep your custom when your warranty has expired especialy in the current economic climate.

ye unfortunately my dealer new i had an aftermarket exhaust fitted when i took it im for service..bummer n will not fix da problem under warrunty?

im goin to try n buy a sports cat m adaptor to ofset da error code

After knackering my cat up I had a look at various options, new was WAAAAY out of the running and even second hand ones were silly money so I went down the road of getting a sport cat fitted at EXHAUSTS UK for £175

Yes there is a problem with a CEL coming on (Fault code P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank1)) I read about using an extender to stop it happening and got one off eBay from a company in England, they don't seem to be on any more but there are a load for sale from America CLICKY.

I've spoken to kangzy about this in a PM but I don't know what size the Corolla O2 sensors are so maybe somebody can help? (the one I used was 18mm)

Since fitting the extender I haven't had a problem with CEL's :thumbsup:

Les

Have you done an emissions test on the car?

May be when they fitted the car back they didnt put the second lamda in the correct position and that what's bring up the code.

What was the second lamda doing when it was on the diognostics?

hi, i to have been thinking o2 sensors and not the cat,check the connections to the sensors.they would not have removed the cat to do a cat back system,so i to am leaning towards the o2 sensors,cars a bit new to need a new cat whats the mileage?

hi, just had alook on e-bay,magnum sport racing catalytic converter, 10 year warranty,manufacturers emissions stay the same as standard, £87.00 +p+p just in case the cat is s+++ed.just chop the old out and weld the new one in.

tccom n hogie to be accurate da precat has started to break not da actual cat..no engine lites have come on jst yet. as d cat n precat r one bolt on piece from da dwn pipe i cant jst replace da precat for 2 reasons

1. i cant find any1 who sells precats

2. it wld mean cutting n welding meanin extra labour cost

im currently sourcing a new sports cat but i worried once fitted da engine lite will come on (code P0420) because its to free flowing..

my problem now is hw to combat da engine lite coming on..

options r an inline resistor or extender sensor but both av thier draw backs..

im looking into buying an apexi afc controller but not to sure if it work. any help wuld b welcome

Here a diagram of your exhaust. Cant see it being to different from the 190bhp version.

So your saying whats broken it the pipe before the cat. Your middle silencer is gone as well so?

Exhaust.jpg

hi mate,that's not the same as a compressor well not mine anyway.the center section is bolted to a flange on the front pipe when i stuck my head under for a look today.from what kangzy is saying he has a pre cat then the main cat all on the front pipe,and the pre cat has broke up,i think.

hi mate,that's not the same as a compressor well not mine anyway.the center section is bolted to a flange on the front pipe when i stuck my head under for a look today.from what kangzy is saying he has a pre cat then the main cat all on the front pipe,and the pre cat has broke up,i think.

Ohh ok, i see now. Complicated cars. I was wondering alright when i was looking at that diagram and he was an about a pre-cat.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links