Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drivers Face Regular Health Mots

Pat2u

Drivers Face Regular Health MOTs Drivers could face health tests every 10 years to ensure they are fit to be behind the wheel.

Motorists would be able to choose whether to take the tests, but risk a criminal record if they are later found to fall short of standards, according to The Daily Telegraph.

The idea would be for drivers to declare themselves fit to drive every decade, with the option of submitting themselves to tests against new minimum physical and mental requirements.

Issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority, they are likely to cover eyesight and reaction times.

The paper says the proposals are set to be unveiled in the New Year, although a Department for Transport official described the report as "speculation".

However, the DfT has been looking again at the licensing system and plans to consult on changes.

A DfT spokesperson said: "Increasing car use, changes in the population's health and medical advances all mean that the demands on the health and driver licensing system are very different to those of 30 years ago when it was established.

"We are considering these issues carefully and intend to consult on how we can improve the service we offer drivers."

Of course a FEE will be involved somewhere.........Who wants a bet on how much, coz it wont be free thats for sure

Kingo :thumbsup:

Either way I think it is a crackign idea because then we can ban ALOT of old people who shouldnt be allowed to drive!

Yep I agree. I think it sounds like a good idea and personally am not against it at all.

Either way I think it is a crackign idea because then we can ban ALOT of old people who shouldnt be allowed to drive!

Yep I agree. I think it sounds like a good idea and personally am not against it at all.

Old people, i wonder what you call old ? Its a known fact that the 19 to 25 year old men cause more road deaths on britians roads than any other group.

Age does not come into it, but the question of can you drive safely does.

I am highly insulted :driving::wheelchair: :lol2: Actually we have had warnings here directed @ the 20-25 age group as statistically they are the age group with the highest accident rate.

Here, once you reach 70, you are only issued with a licence on a year by year basis. Not having quite reached that age yet, I can only presume that it involves a Medical Cert.

I was informed a few months ago that I am mildly Diabetic (type 2 ) & am required by law to inform the licencing Authority. I haven't, yet :rolleyes:

You should have seen my Blood Sugar reading after Christmas meal & Boxing Day . I said " To Hell with it" & ate & drank all the things I shouldn't have. :P Am well back to normal by now :thumbsup:

I'm not against older people having a license and with it a good quality of life - being able to visit family, pop down to Tescos, be independent, in fact I'm all for it. It's good for our senior citizens to get out there and enjoy life....

Sadly for my Grandad, who is of limited mobility as it is, he is also now blind in one eye and still insists on driving even though it's not safe for him to do so. It would be sad if his license was taken away, as then he'd be pretty much house-bound, but it's not safe for him to be on the road either.

Saying that I do have to agree with Pat2U and Bizarra - young people cause far more accidents than older people and before we start taking licences off the elderly/slightly unhealthy we should be looking at measures to stop young people seriously injuring & killing themselves and other people with over-powered cars and peer-pressure mentality.

I was informed a few months ago that I am mildly Diabetic (type 2 ) & am required by law to inform the licencing Authority. I haven't, yet :rolleyes:

You should have seen my Blood Sugar reading after Christmas meal & Boxing Day . I said " To Hell with it" & ate & drank all the things I shouldn't have. :P Am well back to normal by now :thumbsup:

Hey m8, inform the authorities you have diabetes, its no big deal, i too have it plus i am also in secondry multiple sclerosis, if you do not tell them, then you are not insured in the event of an accident even in a minor one, i was diagnosed in 1994 for my MS and diabetes a few years later, however i still drive and on my car insurance i disclose both illnesses, the law says that no insurance can now discriminate against a diability.

Hey m8, inform the authorities you have diabetes, its no big deal, i too have it plus i am also in secondry multiple sclerosis, if you do not tell them, then you are not insured in the event of an accident even in a minor one, i was diagnosed in 1994 for my MS and diabetes a few years later, however i still drive and on my car insurance i disclose both illnesses, the law says that no insurance can now discriminate against a diability.

Thanks for the advice, mate. I will do so asap :thumbsup: Sorry to hear about the MS. It is nasty. My sister was in Hospital for a month with it.She had lost the use of both legs & was blind in one eye. Her sight is back, but she is still on crutches

Thanks for the advice, mate. I will do so asap :thumbsup: Sorry to hear about the MS. It is nasty. My sister was in Hospital for a month with it.She had lost the use of both legs & was blind in one eye. Her sight is back, but she is still on crutches

Oh forgot to mention i am also an old age pensioner, yes Ms is a bit of a setback but i cut my cloth accordingly, but i always say i got Ms but it ain't got me yet lol.

12572.png

Drivers Face Regular Health MOTs Drivers could face health tests every 10 years to ensure they are fit to be behind the wheel.

I am glad to see there will be more legislation for the legal motorist especially when the 1,000,000+ uninsured motorists are still out there and stopping them seems to be impossible.........

This sort of thing really revs me up! :ffs: As its easy to keep track of people who bother to have a licence.

One of the compulsory tests has to be for alcohol and drug content in the body, that would eliminate PLENTY from getting a licence, not from the roads though because as we know dunk/drugged drivers don't give a toss anyway.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links