Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting Problems

Dave & Christine

Anyone had starting problems with the Rav4 Diesel, mine is turning over but does not fire up. this morning it took over 10 minutes of intermittent starting to get it to go. Just changed the Battery to see if that helps but starting problem remains. :angry:

Anyone had starting problems with the Rav4 Diesel, mine is turning over but does not fire up. this morning it took over 10 minutes of intermittent starting to get it to go. Just changed the battery to see if that helps but starting problem remains. :angry:

This is not uncommon with earlier Rav 4-3 diesels. A quick call at a Toyota dealer will rectify the problem. ood luck

Welcome Dave and Christine :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Can I ask what age is your RAV? Which model 4.2 or 4.3?

I guess the first place to start (sorry no pun intented) with a diesel not starting is the glow plugs, if your Battery seems OK.

After that, again I'm guessing, it's the fuel system, is diesel actually getting to engine?

More "mechanical" members will be along sooner or later and they will have a better idea. :thumbsup:

Anyone had starting problems with the Rav4 Diesel, mine is turning over but does not fire up. this morning it took over 10 minutes of intermittent starting to get it to go. Just changed the battery to see if that helps but starting problem remains. :angry:

Have you checked the glow plugs?

Anchorman has some infor on checking them.

Have you checked the glow plugs?

Anchorman has some infor on checking them.

Not checked them yet, but will look into it.. thanks for the info will check Anchorman

I guess the first place to start (sorry no pun intented) with a diesel not starting is the glow plugs, if your battery seems OK.

After that, again I'm guessing, it's the fuel system, is diesel actually getting to engine?

More "mechanical" members will be along sooner or later and they will have a better idea. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome..

Rav4 XT3 2003. 53 plate.

i hav'ent sussed your references to 4.2 or 4.3 yet

I guess the first place to start (sorry no pun intented) with a diesel not starting is the glow plugs, if your battery seems OK.

Thanks for the welcome..

Rav4 XT3 2003. 53 plate.

You have a 4.2

This thread explains everything about the different models. :thumbsup:

This is the thread Anchorman started a few weeks ago about glow plugs. :yes:

Thanks for the welcome..

Rav4 XT3 2003. 53 plate.

You have a 4.2

This thread explains everything about the different models. :thumbsup:

This is the thread Anchorman started a few weeks ago about glow plugs. :yes:

Would you believe it. phoned the garage to come and fix the problem today, and when they arrived they decided to try it out first and it started first time???????

Thanks for the info on the model reference.

This forum has some fantastic advice.

Thanks

Would you believe it. phoned the garage to come and fix the problem today, and when they arrived they decided to try it out first and it started first time???????

Thanks for the info on the model reference.

This forum has some fantastic advice.

Thanks

Isn't that always the way :rolleyes:

Hope it stay's sorted! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links