Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4-3 Side Steps

john1944

I saw a 4-3 Rav the other day fitted with side steps. Now, I grant you it was not exactly the cleanest speciman I had seen, the usual gunge on the back end and what have you. But what struck me more than anything was the concentration of accumulated mud on and under the side steps. Now any one getting in and out of that car would have taken that mess inside with them. In any event I got the impression the steps were close to useless as an aid for getting in and out, as standing on them would for most people result in a bang on the head; and conventional entry would probably result in getting your trousers dirty. O.K. you say, your bundle of £20,000 toy should be cleaned at regular intervals, but my advice is to any one thinking of spending two or three hundred quid on this add on, is * Make sure you are doing the right thing * . Comments please from side stepping fraternity.

My used XT5 came with sidesteps already fitted plus the front protection plastic roo bar thingy :D I've never really been a fan of such things, but It doesn't look too bad. The side steps are a bit of a pain in that crud collects on the top surface at the rear. The only useful purpose they serve is as a step so you can reach the roof when washing the car :lol:

I saw a 4-3 Rav the other day fitted with side steps. Now, I grant you it was not exactly the cleanest speciman I had seen, the usual gunge on the back end and what have you. But what struck me more than anything was the concentration of accumulated mud on and under the side steps. Now any one getting in and out of that car would have taken that mess inside with them. In any event I got the impression the steps were close to useless as an aid for getting in and out, as standing on them would for most people result in a bang on the head; and conventional entry would probably result in getting your trousers dirty. O.K. you say, your bundle of £20,000 toy should be cleaned at regular intervals, but my advice is to any one thinking of spending two or three hundred quid on this add on, is * Make sure you are doing the right thing * . Comments please from side stepping fraternity.

Though I have side steps fitted, I have to agree to a large extent. The vehicle looks so much better and more sleek without them and they do add weight and drag.

I don't use them when getting in or out and they catch on the back of your trousers leaving dirt marks if you are not careful.

The mud you mention needs to be cleaned off regularly and they gather grit on top. It could be argued that the mud and grit are kept off the body but I can't now remember how dirty the RAV got before I fitted them [it was before the winter though so probably not a fair comparison]

Unless you have roof rails to hold on to, they are not much help when cleanng the roof either.

So .................why have I got them?

Well, I have aged parents and in-laws who I transport. The RAV was too high for them to feel safe getting in and out of and the steps give them an intermediate ledge to use. I suspect that small children find them even more useful.

They do also have a bit of a deterrent effect in tight car parks. Having recently brushed against a very low and unsighted cycle rack, I have also discovered that they do provide some side impact protection. [That is why I have one step advertised in the 'for sale' section]

check out the chrome steel side bars , look better and don't stick out, or collect mud, i

Dinna worry - these things corrode faster than duck eggs in a lavvy pan.

One thing does concern me - your mental health. What on earth are you doing crawling under peoples cars looking at excrement stuck on the underside of metal??? Or was it that you were struck by the car as it drove by? If so, lay off the Welsh Cider and try some of the Brecon water.

"Side stepping fraternity"? - WHIT! :eek: There's crabs oan this forum as well ??!!!!!! Nae wunner there's such a market fur 5 door oil burners :yawn: :yawn:

I suspect that small children find them even more useful.

Correct! :thumbsup: My lad finds it so easy to get into the car using the side steps.

Yes, the side steps do collect mud underneath and grit on top but if they keep my lad happy and it means I don't have to strain my back lifting him into the car they are well worth the extra five minutes cleaning them! :yes::thumbsup:

Correct! :thumbsup: My lad finds it so easy to get into the car using the side steps.

Yes, the side steps do collect mud underneath and grit on top but if they keep my lad happy and it means I don't have to strain my back lifting him into the car they are well worth the extra five minutes cleaning them! :yes::thumbsup:

Yeah and I'm certainly not lifting the old folk!

Side stepping - now that would be a useful feature 'Off road' :P

I had Side-bars and Rear-bar on my T180 and in my honest opnion they put Side-steps in the shade as far as LOOKS are concerned!!!!

Regards Clare

Yeah and I'm certainly not lifting the old folk!

Old folk??? Why dya think ye fit a towbar???? Its tae hook up the wheelchair :lol: :lol:

Old folk??? Why dya think ye fit a towbar???? Its tae hook up the wheelchair :lol: :lol:

Nahh, had too many problems replacing the run flats on the chairs ;)

Well Ive had sidesteps + roofbars on my 4.1

img008.jpg

MY 4.2

img007.jpg

and my 4.3

033.jpg

and i like them :yes::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

img008.jpg

MY 4.2

img007.jpg

and my 4.3

033.jpg

Very nice indeed, but do you ever use the car for transport; or is just a show piece for your driveway !!!

img008.jpg

MY 4.2

img007.jpg

and my 4.3

033.jpg

Very nice indeed, but do you ever use the car for transport; or is just a show piece for your driveway !!!

Well in answer to that John, its the only car my wife + i own, neither of us use it for work, but we manage roughly 5000 mls a year. and yes its very decadent, but after driving 50,000mls a year 70hrs aweek in a black cab, when i do drive my rav I make sure I enjoy it..Incidently all 3 photos were taken at, or near cottages we rent in the Scottish highlands, So all 3 of my ravs have at least gone that far.. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links