Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Gears For Snow

gunner1

I have a RAV4 2004 Auto and I am wondering when to use the gears marked 2 and L in this snowy weather.

any suggestions here ?

Rule of thumb for driving in snow is to use the highest gear possible. Not sure how your auto box works, if you put it 2'nd

does it start off in second or does it start in first but wont go higher than second ?

Rule of thumb for driving in snow is to use the highest gear possible. Not sure how your auto box works, if you put it 2'nd

does it start off in second or does it start in first but wont go higher than second ?

It starts in first and won`t go higher than second

just leave it in D. only when you go down wards (hill) stop and put it in L

well that's what i do. for the rest sit and enjoy your ride :scooter:

just leave it in D. only when you go down wards (hill) stop and put it in L

well that's what i do. for the rest sit and enjoy your ride :scooter:

O.K Guy`s

I put it in 2 drive to get off my driveway (16-18" of snow) and left it in 2 for 1/2 mile down the road (12" snow) then put it in D for another couple of miles.Stopped at the top of a hill and put back into 2 drive to descend the hill the into D again at the bottom, car went great !! :D

Would still like to know when to properly use the 2 and the L though.

2 and L just hold the car in gear for exceptional reasons. You may wish to use them when towing a heavy trailer which will force the transmission to provide some engine braking affect. Otherwise it would probably change up and allow the brakes to do all the work. If you were stuck in the mud and wanted it to stay in low gear you might use L.

No real rules just use them as needed;

L will hold it in first

2 will allow it to change up to 2nd but not higher or hold it in a gear not higher than 2nd

2 and L just hold the car in gear for exceptional reasons. You may wish to use them when towing a heavy trailer which will force the transmission to provide some engine braking affect. Otherwise it would probably change up and allow the brakes to do all the work. If you were stuck in the mud and wanted it to stay in low gear you might use L.

L will hold it in first

2 will allow it to change up to 2nd but not higher or hold it in a gear not higher than 2nd

Cheers Anchorman

Loooks like I did right in the snow then on this occassion and thanks for the info

L will hold it in first

Cheers Anchorman

Loooks like I did right in the snow then on this occassion and thanks for the info

Swindon with snow :eek: :eek: :eek:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links