Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

In Preperation For More Snow On Monday..

Guest Snowy3

Hi Snowy

There have been several similar posts in the last week.

Really it amounts to taking your time and driving to the conditions. Its hard to say whether you should be in a low gear without knowing the specific circumstance. If you get into a front wheel skid then a low gear might make things worse and the experts advise putting your foot on the clutch to let it roll.

I think in summary just take your time, don't get too close to the car in front and slow it down for curves or corners. The RAV will provide you with better handling in the snow than most "conventional" cars but it cannot defy the laws of physics. If you go fast enough to lose it on a corner it has enough weight prove harder to recover than a conventional car.

Take your time and plod home safely.

simply, you take your time and keep the speed slow and steady. 2nd or 3rd gear on the 4.1 is best and use the gas pedal carefully....and the brake just as carefully. If you use the diff lock, then that will allow you to use the transmission to slow you down better.

Putting the power down fast just means you will slide and bend things.

Braking hard will just lock up the wheels and you won't have any control at all.

If you use the diff lock, then that will allow you to use the transmission to slow you down better.

I've never used the diff lock button - do i just press it - will i be able to tell its turned on?

If you use the diff lock, then that will allow you to use the transmission to slow you down better.

I've never used the diff lock button - do i just press it - will i be able to tell its turned on?

press it before you start off and the wheels are straight - a dash light comes on.

Switch it off when the wheels are straight and the car is moving slowly - forward or backwards.

On icy or snowy roads a high-ish gear is better because it will help to smooth out acceleration and deceleration. Remember to slow down BEFORE bends etc., not on or in them. Avoid having to use the brakes if you can, and if you do have to put them on, do it slowly and smoothly.

If you're not sure of the conditions, either stop, get out and try them, or, if you can do so safely, slow down to walking pace and put the brake on hard. Will give you an idea of the road surface.

"In preparation for the snow".....keep a shovel in the boot :)

And a passenger to do the work!! :lol: :lol:

Hi Snowy! And everybody else!!

i didn't drive this week, and chose to take the bus to work instead! Not so worried about my driving but more about the others on the roads!!!!! I don't want anybody cliping my nice little Rav!!!!!

i didn't drive this week, and chose to take the bus to work instead! Not so worried about my driving but more about the others on the roads!!!!! I don't want anybody cliping my nice little Rav!!!!!

lol good thinking! 'friad i work too far away to get the bus :-(

lol good thinking! 'friad i work too far away to get the bus :-(

Years ago I got sent on a Land Rover driving course by my employer. I laughed when they said I should go as I'd had a LR of my own for best part of 20 years. However I thoroughly enjoyed it. Their recommendation for slippery conditions was:

1) select 4 wheel drive ( that dates the event! ).

2) drive gently and smoothly in 2nd or 3rd on the flat and up slopes, change down for the steep accents before you start on them, not halfway up.

3) going downhill use engine braking and keep your feet off the brake and the clutch. On steep downhills, 2nd gear and just steer, no throttle, no brakes and no clutch.

I THINK your RAV is 4 wheel drive so don't worry about number 1), number 2) is really the same thing as everyone else is saying and number 3) I would use in ANY vehicle on a slippery downhill.

If you do find yourself having to brake and sliding, use cadence braking - that is fast dabs of the brake until you have it back under control. This really works on vehicles without ABS. Don't panic ( easy said! ) just on and off the brake as quickly as you can. If you get chance to practice it in a safe environment just have a go in a straight line. If you have say, a big flat car park to play in, you can easily convince yourself by trying braking conventionally, probably locking the wheels and then doing the same thing again using the cadence technique.

In a previous post I said that I was amazed at the RAV ( 4.3 ) performance in snow, certainly better than my Discovery. Can't see that yours, without VSC, driven carefully, should be much different. Once you get the knack you will really enjoy it!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links