Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav In Snow

john1944

On Thursday last my wife and I had to journey down to Somerset, and on Friday needed to drive from Taunton to Minehead. During our journey we encountered horrendous conditions, deep snow and dangerous ice. The worst part of our journey was from Taunton to Minehead, where our first three route choices failed. On each occasion we were forced to turn round because of other motorists blocking our way. At no time did the Rav give the impression that conditions were too bad for her; in fact she did not slip her wheels once, and that is on standard fit tyres. I did try and get to our destination by driving up on to Exmoor, where the snow was around 6 feet deep at the side of the road. Rav still ploughed on, and I only abandoned this idea because it was still snowing hard, and had we got stuck there was a reasonable chance we could perish. We eventually reached our destination, by using a combination of the A 39 and side roads. I have to say that the car has really impressed !!!

Nice to hear such a positive report! The brilliant thing about the RAV4 is that under normal conditions you would hardly know that it is a 4WD, but when you need it it is there and works so well. Even in snow and mud it just drives around as if the stuff were not there. Makes us feel very safe in these dodgy conditions.

Isn't it frustrating when you know you can get through, but peeps in the wrong kind of cars get in the way or the authorities shut the snowgates when there is just the odd flake here and there!

I too have been feeling very smug and seeking out icy back-roads to make the most of it. 4WD, traction control, ABS, EBD, a new set of tyres and climate control make driving a pleasure in these conditions (not to mention the cup-holders).

Some 4x4 snow driving tips: Winter Weather

And take the quiz: 4x4 driving tips

And a great video on youtube:

And so that you all don't get too cocky: Is 4WD safer?

Anyone with the T180 run flats tried them out in the snow & ice? I know the Bridgestone Duelers are marked M+S, but they're snow tyres in the sense of "aggressive" tread, rather than the tyre compound being best for snow. So just wondering how good they are?

Anyone with the T180 run flats tried them out in the snow & ice? I know the Bridgestone Duelers are marked M+S, but they're snow tyres in the sense of "aggressive" tread, rather than the tyre compound being best for snow. So just wondering how good they are?

No problem up here with the run flats on the T180. Lots of snow to play in !!! Been up the Cairngorms today and back not one problem !! Rav lives up to all expectations

Duelers are marked M+S - are you sure about that? I thought they were specifically dry weather on-road tyres.

Duelers are marked M+S - are you sure about that? I thought they were specifically dry weather on-road tyres.

On my T180 they are definitely Bridgestone Dueler H/T 687 99H 235/55/R18 M+S.

Edit: the H/T stands for highway/ terrain, so it hints at some kind of off-road capability.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links