Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Posiible Rav4 Owner, Which Is The Best One?

Babybadger

Hi All, Already converted the missus to a new aygo last year. I am considering a switch to the RAV4 from an old 850 T5 estate, had lots of fun in it, but I need a reliable 4wd now, as the father-in=law is in a home in North Yorkshire, so once a month visit is expected from London, and weather can snow in April, let alone this week.

Question is, is the 2000-2004 2.0 VVTI with auto THE reliable one to go for? I want the one with the most reliable 4wd system (i.e. the one that works all the time with the torsen (read LSD) diff in the rear) , chain driven camshaft, hardly any recalls. Is the Dual-mass flywheel on all models including the Automatic? If so is the manual fairly reliable?

What are the 4.1 models like for reliability? They are so cheap now....

Thanks in advance.

It has a chain driven camshaft and no dmf. The manual is very reliable so its a question of preference.

The only things that seems to act up with any frequency are the oxgygen sensors. No big deal and I'm not sure they're any less reliable than other makes.

It has a chain driven camshaft and no dmf. The manual is very reliable so its a question of preference.

The only things that seems to act up with any frequency are the oxgygen sensors. No big deal and I'm not sure they're any less reliable than other makes.

Thanks anchorman, do the petrol manuals have dual mass flywheels or are they only on the d4-d models?

The VVTI engines obviously need the camchains changed, what is the interval?

Do you also know if the engines in the 4.1 models are non-interference? Or is it cambelt snap-expensive work.....?

Many thanks.

4.1s are belts and are interferance.

The VVTi petrol has a chain that providing the oil is changed at reasonable service intervals is designed to last the life of the engine. 250,000 miles is not unheard of and with the same chain. However, if the engine was stripped at 100k it would be false economy not to change it.

Only the diesels have a dmf.

I hope this helps.

4.1s are belts and are interferance.

The VVTi petrol has a chain that providing the oil is changed at reasonable service intervals is designed to last the life of the engine. 250,000 miles is not unheard of and with the same chain. However, if the engine was stripped at 100k it would be false economy not to change it.

Only the diesels have a dmf.

I hope this helps.

Thanks mate , a big help.....

Just out of interest are the D4-D's that unreliable with DMF's or is it just an unlucky few? I know lots of diesel owners that have problems with these...

So do I. We have heard of other makes being far less reliable (in terms of dmf's). It is by no means inevitable that it will fail but because of the 4WD it tends to cost in the region of £1800 to get fixed. If you are reasonably competent then there is no reason why you shouldn't do it yourself. A kit including a new clutch is around £550-600.

You should drive both and then decide.

Good luck mate.

So do I. We have heard of other makes being far less reliable (in terms of dmf's). It is by no means inevitable that it will fail but because of the 4WD it tends to cost in the region of £1800 to get fixed. If you are reasonably competent then there is no reason why you shouldn't do it yourself. A kit including a new clutch is around £550-600.

You should drive both and then decide.

Good luck mate.

....or buy one that has just had it done from Toyota.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links