Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please Help, Dunno What To Do!

sarahbriggs

Hi ladies and Gents

I have a problem.....

Bought an MR2 roadster 2000 2 weeks ago, within 2 days engine management light came on, took back to garage (not a toyota garage) who got a guy round with a reader who re-set it and sent me on my way saying "if it comes back on then their may be a problem)

Next day light came back on, took back and they kept car for 3 days to run tests, they rang me to say it was done and a wire was loose on lambda sensor and they have fixed it.

When my husband went to start up car the next day he noticed the engine management light was not coming on with startup and suspected they had disconnected it, I called mr T who advised me all engine management lights come on when starting car for a few secs....called the garage who had disconnected it and asked why,they advised all checks had been done and there was nothing wrong with it and so they have disconnected it to put my mind at rest!!!! The cheek of it!!!

Went to trading standards who have advised me its the HP company who are responsible for the car and they are liasing with the garage to get this resolved, I am not driving the car at the mo as dont know whats wrong with it and dont want the H.P company to think im driving it and its ok.......does anyone know where I can get a cheap diagnostic on the car to see what the REAL reason the engine management light is on for, im so sick....love the car, but feel cheated...any ideas?

Thanks everyone, hope you can help! x

Hi and welcome to the club Sarah :thumbsup:

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your car and especially your supplier.

I can't for the life of me think that any competent workshop would deliberately disconnect the CEL I hope you get them to re connect it as soon as possible.

It does sound like you have an 02 sensor fault and as they can cost up to £200 each if repaired at Mr T's this might have frightened them into botching the job. If it does turn out to be the sensors we have a section on "Hints & tips" HERE that tells you how to do the job at a fraction of the price, just click on "Oxygen sensor replacement"

Now, to find out what the problem might be;

First of all, is your car a UK model or J spec (Japanese) ?

If it is a J spec then there is a problem finding garages with the necessary code reading equipment.

If it's a UK spec then you could try sending THIS member a PM and ask if he still has the OBD2 code reader available. He has registered one for use and he lives in the Newcastle area and he may be able to help you find what the fault code might be.

Alternatively you could buy a code reader from eBay as they are quite cheap and check the faults yourself (It's really easy) . This is the type I have CLICKY

Hope things turn out ok and you get things sorted.

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links