Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk3 Power Steering

kerzysgotasupra

Hi everybody, thought i'd post this, some of you may already know this but some of you may not? I've just had to replace a hydraulic hose on my 1G-GTE, you know the 1???, from the power steering pump up to the inner wing around a couple of hard line "u" bends then all the way back down and finally to meet the steering rack................yeh that 1!! :rolleyes:

After trying absolutely EVERYWHERE except Toyota themselves without any joy, i bit the bullet and went to a local hydraulics engineer.

£45 lighter in the pocket but very happy i'm up and running again. I asked the chap why the hose had to be that long? Surely you could just have a hose going pump to rack without going to Outer Mongolia on the way? Apparently hoses are designed to a specific length to A: reduce heat and B: reduce noise.

The heat idea i can kind of understand but surely i doesn't make your system any quieter having a particular length of hose? :unsure:

What do you guys think? :driving:

Mainly for heat, which is why the loopy bit is metal,, not rubber.

It does quieten things down a certain bit (think, if you exhaust was 4 tines longer it would be quieter too). The fact that is is longer also offers some damping and evens out the presure, giving less interference and feedback through the steering wheel.

You were lucky to get one for £45 ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links