Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Wiper

Cherry Red Pocket Rocket

Could someone please tell me how to change the rear wiper on a Yaris? The front one simply slot in but the rear one is a right brain teaser! I've looked in my Haynes Manual and it seemingly has no information about it and am stumped. The wiper obviously hasn't been changed for quite some time and its driving me insane. Tips, hints, pictures, walkthroughs etc. would be much appreciated!

Could someone please tell me how to change the rear wiper on a Yaris? The front one simply slot in but the rear one is a right brain teaser! I've looked in my Haynes Manual and it seemingly has no information about it and am stumped. The wiper obviously hasn't been changed for quite some time and its driving me insane. Tips, hints, pictures, walkthroughs etc. would be much appreciated!

Credit crunch way of doing it:

Buy any cheap wiper blade (£1.49 from Wilkinson i used).

On the rear wiper arm take the rubber blade and manoeuvre it out of the arm, the blade will flex enough to allow it to be removed.

Do the same with the new wiper blade you have just bought.

Remove the silver metal supports from each side of the new rubber blade and then cut to the same size as the old rubber blade.

Take the silver metal supports from the old blade and slot them into the new blade.

Now insert the new blade back into the wiper arm, you need to slide it through the second, third and into the end support and then the blade can be flexed enough to slot it back into the first end support (you will understand what I mean by this when you do it.)

Job done. Time taken 2 - 3 mins. Cost £1.49. No more squeaky rear wiper. :)

Credit crunch way of doing it:

Buy any cheap wiper blade (£1.49 from Wilkinson i used).

On the rear wiper arm take the rubber blade and manoeuvre it out of the arm, the blade will flex enough to allow it to be removed.

Do the same with the new wiper blade you have just bought.

Remove the silver metal supports from each side of the new rubber blade and then cut to the same size as the old rubber blade.

Take the silver metal supports from the old blade and slot them into the new blade.

Now insert the new blade back into the wiper arm, you need to slide it through the second, third and into the end support and then the blade can be flexed enough to slot it back into the first end support (you will understand what I mean by this when you do it.)

Job done. Time taken 2 - 3 mins. Cost £1.49. No more squeaky rear wiper. :)

Some types of replacement blades cant accomodate the metal strips used on some Yaris'! A genuine blade from Toyota is only around £4. I found the French built Yaris has a diff rubber that CAN be swapped with a universal type one from Halfords... You get a few refils in a pack too. Can't remember the cost but not too much as I would have billed the company or got 'em changed at the service interval! :yahoo:

The blade on a Jap built is not changeable, it forms part of the arm, you have to put a rubber in it! :blush: A French built car you can change the complete blade. A genuine rubber (oooh err missus) costs £4.09 on a Jap built model, from your dealer

Kingo :thumbsup:

MDC in Cowley will show you.

Already tried asking the MDC in Cowley to do it for me and they couldn't. How can I tell if my Yaris is Japanese or French? I think it is Japanese as the windshield has a sticker on it that says "made in Japan". I guess the only thing for me to do is buy a rubber, wrestle it out of there and then push the new one in then?

The blade on a Jap built is not changeable, it forms part of the arm, you have to put a rubber in it! :blush: A French built car you can change the complete blade. A genuine rubber (oooh err missus) costs £4.09 on a Jap built model, from your dealer

Kingo :thumbsup:

You are quite correct, sir.. I refered to it as a blade, purely for ease of description, it is the rubber that goes IN the blade on the Jap ones!

The thin metal strips that retain the rubber, are also available if you need them but my local Mr T. tells me nobody ever does, so I guess its just if you lose or bend one!

It is a very simple job to do, just don't be too scared to pull the end of the rubber out of the metal blade, remove the thin metal strips from the old rubber and replace. Few mins is all!

Bought a rubber blade replacement and fitted it. All seemed relatively straightforward although I didn't need the metal strip. Perhaps thats because I didn't buy a Toyota rubber blade?

Ayway, it seems to be fine but towards the end of the rubber, (with the metal bit on it) doesn't seem to clear away the water and screenwash while the rest of the blade does. Why is this? Is it because the blade is new and needs to mould itself to the windshield or have I fitted it poorly? To clarify when I mean the end I mean the top bit closest to the roof when you turn it on. Hope that helps... Could anyone tell me if I've done anything wrong?

I never use my rear wiper, the thing is totally useless and only ever clears the middle part of the screen. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links