Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ooh Err - White Smoke On A D4d. Help!

lloydp

I've just been investigating a loss of power on my '53 d4d between 3000-4000 rpm*. I needless to say took it out and drove it through this rev range several times. The power seemed to die just after 3000, and then there were a couple of surges before 4000, where it appeared to pick up again. I definitely didn't rev it above 4500, and only got to 4000 in short bursts.

When I got home to my drive I suddenly noticed a huge cloud of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I shut off immediately, left it for a minute and started it again (no problem starting). I moved the car up in the drive and still palls of white smoke. I've had a look under the bonnet - oil cap off, no white sludge, coolant level is fine, no sludge on the dipstick and oil level fine. I realise that this has only just happened so if it is the head/gasket it may take a further while for crap to accumulate in the engine.

It's now just sat there with me too frightened to start it again. Any wisdom please?

David

*not sure how long this loss has been going on as I don't normally rev it up there - I noticed it yesterday when I had to overtake sharpish.

Update: I let the engine cool down, and with some trepidation started it again. Good, no smoke in the driveway so ventured out - took it a mile or so and let it get to normal temp - still no smoke. Opened bonnet while running - no bubbles in the coolant reservoir. What the? Turbo wastegate maybe? No experience with turbos so no idea. Someone please put me out of my misery (grim reaper excepted).

Strangely enough this has been happening quite a lot with 4.3's just lately and now your 4.2 is playing up! I think you can rule out the turbo because there isn't really anything with it that could cause it to smoke like it did and then cure itself. There isn't a wastegate as such either. Overboost is controlled by a pressure relief valve (VSV - vacuum sensing valve) and that large vac' unit sitting on top of the turbo is the variable nozzle control unit which as the name suggests affectively varies the amount of air entering the turbo depending on engine load conditions.

I think your problem is down to the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve.

It is easy to work on and much more simple than a 4.3. Take it off and just make sure that the vac unit is working by sucking through the rubber pipe - if you can feel resistance that is OK. Get an aerosol of carburettor cleaner and give it a good clean out and try to make sure it feels free. It is most like ly to stick at the maximum opening when the vac unit has fully opened the valve under max throttle and it has stuck wide open allowing the engine to run on a high concentration of exhaust.

You will probably not know for some time if it is cured but if it becomes a problem just pm Kingo and he will send you one at a discounted price. It certainly won't be any worse for a good clean out!

EGR_4.2.pdf

Wow, that certainly cheers me up a lot - thanks anchorman. I've been about 10 miles in it this morning and it was sweet right through 3500 rpm with no smoke. I'll probably leave well alone until it re-occurs and then attack it in the knowledge that it's not something 'orrible!

• 1 month later...

OK, this has started bugging me again, so time to clean the EGR. BUT, where the heck is it? I've got Anchorman's PDF, but looking down the RHS of the block I can't see anything that looks like the diagram! The EGR seemingly should have a round top (like the unit on top of the turbo), but all I can see is this (I've arrowed a tubular like unit, but doesn't look right to me!):

1.jpg

Looking with the camera from the back I see:

2.jpg

Here's a wider shot, where that blue crimp should give you a reference point (that's the variable voltage feed to a performance chip before you ask!)

3.jpg

Any pointers please? I should add that the vehicle was purchased originally in Germany, and shipped here.

OK, this has started bugging me again, so time to clean the EGR. BUT, where the heck is it? I've got Anchorman's PDF, but looking down the RHS of the block I can't see anything that looks like the diagram! The EGR seemingly should have a round top (like the unit on top of the turbo), but all I can see is this (I've arrowed a tubular like unit, but doesn't look right to me!):

1.jpg

Looking with the camera from the back I see:

2.jpg

Here's a wider shot, where that blue crimp should give you a reference point (that's the variable voltage feed to a performance chip before you ask!)

3.jpg

Any pointers please? I should add that the vehicle was purchased originally in Germany, and shipped here.

On the last photo it is out of site at the back (look up from the blue crimp) to the left of the Battery and tucked under the Turbo pipe....

On the last photo it is out of site at the back (look up from the blue crimp) to the left of the battery and tucked under the Turbo pipe....

OK, thanks very much, but I'm afraid I'm still not getting this (bear with me, please!). Here's another 2 pics looking overhead at the back:

4.jpg

This one is taken at an angle so i could get the round thing at the bottom in shot in case that is it, although it's clearly not attached to the block as I thought it should be. I've marked the turbo so you can see the angle. Are you seeing the egr in these pics please?

5.jpg

On the last photo it is out of site at the back (look up from the blue crimp) to the left of the battery and tucked under the Turbo pipe....

OK, thanks very much, but I'm afraid I'm still not getting this (bear with me, please!). Here's another 2 pics looking overhead at the back:

4.jpg

This one is taken at an angle so i could get the round thing at the bottom in shot in case that is it, although it's clearly not attached to the block as I thought it should be. I've marked the turbo so you can see the angle. Are you seeing the egr in these pics please?

5.jpg

The mark you have on the last picture (it has a slight blue mark ontop of it) that is the egr, also the turbo is to the left of this..you can see the pipe going into it... your red line is pointing to the egr not the turbo....

Top picture just above the rad for the intercooler is the turbo... it will have garatt written on it (mine does).....

OK, got it, thanks Chatman, although with the arrow my point was that that is sitting on top of, and bolted to the turbo. That didn't seem to make any sense according to this diagram, though I'm of course accepting what you're saying

egrplan.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links