Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying an MR2

Chris

Hi,

I'm a newbie so first of all.. Hi Everyone!!

I'm looking into buying an MR2 and have a few questions. I want a black MK2? '00 model GT T bar i.e the newest of the old shape (does that make sense?)

Anyway,

Can I expect air con?

What should I look for?

What should I avoid?

Are there any companies that I should avoid?

Any wise word/advice?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hiya and welcome to the club....

What can you expect (apart from a grin everytime you take her out)....

GT T-Bar so import which means....

Air Con (YES)

Full electric mirrors, windows etc....

What to look for:

Be careful on modded imports as they've generally been used for racing and normally not too much history from Japan, get a full RAC check before you buy.

MR2's are normally solid as a rock unless you buy a dog.

Normal checks oil, pulling, brakes, etc, etc

Very important to check the T-Bar seals and rear bottom cross struts although on a '00 you should have no problems.

Avoid anything that doesnt clearly pass the inspection, any small probs on a car that new would cause me worries, especially on an import.

Any wise words, all I can say is great choice, great car, friendly forums available with a lot of techincal knowledge if you have the confidence to do stuff to the car yourself, regular meets with friendly peeps (last meet someone actually spent 3 hours replacing the window regulator for the cost of a portion of fish and chips)

Oh and great fun opn the track.....

It's getting a bit late here and a lot to drink so probably not given the best advice, best to message me off list so can reply properly although I'm sure a number of peeps here can addd more.

Will dig out the name of a reputable MR2 importer if you want who will get you a great car in great nick at a reasonable price.

Alternatively you could consider a Mk1 Supercharger, better driving feel IMHO and getting rarer all the time, for a lot less you could get one in mint condition, better the mk2's on the track :)

• 1 month later...

Hiya also a newbie here!

Check out the buying guides in the Technical section of the IMOC-UK site. Loads of info available.

I initially started looking for in imported Turbo, but my search led me to a UK N/A which I love second to none!

The imports have a few extra features as standard that the UK ones don't i.e steering fogs, folding electric mirrors & aircon. There are 5 or 6 revisions of the MKII MR2 with various improvements to ABS, suspention, spoilers etc....

Have fun looking!

Yet another newbie!

I'm also seriously considering a MR2 Turbo, although looking at an earlier model, possibly a revision 3, as I believe these are the first models with the GT4 engine?

Ideally a T-Bar although not essential.

As I'm looking at an older car, are their any points reference bodywork I need to be aware of? any areas that tend to rot a little quicker than others?

If I do buy one, I will certainly join the club as I'm already hooked being an Official for the Saxo Sports Club. I'm pained to let the Saxo go, but my mum (!) has taken a shine to it, and it will still get out for it's little track outings!

Ian.

Rev 3 is an excellent car, shouldnt have any issuies with bodywork so make sure you buy one thats mint.

The only area I would really check closely on a Rev 3 would be the T-Bar Seals and the cross strut, look in the negine bay and you will see two little supports running diagonally up from the rear side chassis to the section behind the passenger compartment, these do have a tendency to rot away although its only something like £20-30 to repair so no major biggie if they have.

Do the geometry alterations in the later Turbo's make that big a difference?

Is is advisable to pay that little extra for a slightly later model?

(seeing as I'm considering the MR2 Turbo against my better judgement! It's gonna scare the S*** outta me!)

the rev3 had the slightly more power, better suspension and wider tyres....

if your going for Turbo it is a very good idea to upgrade the alloys to 16's and make sure you have good rubber on there, look at imoc webiste for reviews on the tyres that peeps have tested on a mk2

it has to be a turbo ;)

The other competition for it is an R33 GT-S, however, the MR2 Turbo beats it on price and Insurance! Plus the MR2 is quicker as standard.

It's going to be the first a)Turbo b)two seater c)RWD and d) mid-engined car I've ever owned (I figured I may as well go the whole hogg and scare myself ;) )

I probably would have gone for 16"s as I know the difference 15"s have made to my saxo on the track. Should I steer away from cars with 17"s?

oh - another thing! (sorry!) any modifications (other than the "oh, I'll just turn the boost up without any other mods") I need to look out for and avoid like the plague?

(i.e. lowering more than 60mm on a Saxo wrecks the driveshafts..)

not really, be more careful on older jap cars which are heavily modded unless you have a full check on them but the 3S-GTE enigine is easily modified and very common.

If you get a later car with after-market exhaust ask for the cat if it has been removed (another common item done), if it hasnt got after market exhaust or induction kit thats the first two things you'll be doing :)

17's are fine as are 18's, just be careful with 18's whats been done to the arches, 16's are a very good compromise on the 2 and well worth while.

If it's your first Mid-engine, rear-wheel drive, remember it is npothing like driving a front wheel drive, and especially not a saxo, just as well its coming into trackday/airfield day where you can get a real idea of what it's capable of in safety....

I crashed my first few so learnt through experience......

I've become fed up of "get a proper car with rwd" from my brother!

Mind you.. getting him in the Saxo on a trackday and making him lift off mid-corner shut him up a little when we ended up about 50m away from the corner in a field!

I appriciate it's going to be an interesting learning curve!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links