Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.1 Starting Problem

Vashty

Hi I used to be a regular here when I had my Avensis SR which is now in the grave :( and I have forgoten that account.

This thread though is to seek help with my wifes Rav 4.1 1996 GX auto estate. I / we love this motor and it has been the most reliable and trouble free motor I have experianced. It is also a pure joy to drive for having a wonderfull drivers position and is comfortable and easy to drive.

Now then problem is. I changed the front disks and pads with little bother and when it came to road test it simply refused to start. 6 weeks later and after trying to start it daily and troubleshoot it I am still at a loss.

What I have tried.

• resynch key
  • check all plugs for health and a good spark (perfect nick and great spark)
  • checked all fuses
  • checked all hoses
  • checked all cables and multiplugs I could find
  • checked all earth points I could find
  • put in a spare can of petrol so I knew there was enough fuel
  • checked airbox and delivery

What I have not managed to test is fuel delivery and have not yet managed to locate the fuel pump, fuel filter and routing of fuel lines. I have no haynes for this model and I am trying to back engineer as I go.

I do not have a garage access so its on my drive and I have to relly on weather and daylight :(

Can someone give me some pointers for locating and testing the fuel pump. Or if the fuel filter is easier to access then that would be a starter for me. Or idealy what I want is the simplest and quickest way to test fuel delivery.

Last time I did any work on fuel systems was in a mark1 Golf and that is childs play :D compare with todays motors.

Any help and advice will be most appretiated.

cheers :)

I invite you all to stand up and clap your hands and call me a muppet.

I dug out the spare key and the motor started instantly. So my problem all these months has been a duff key! For my sins I am now left with siezed back shoes.

Do laugh at me for I am :D and I hope that someone here reads this and gets a fix from it.

I invite you all to stand up and clap your hands and call me a muppet.

I dug out the spare key and the motor started instantly. So my problem all these months has been a duff key! For my sins I am now left with siezed back shoes.

Do laugh at me for I am :D and I hope that someone here reads this and gets a fix from it.

LOL at least your sorted now... but still not able to drive the car... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links