Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Somthings Broken... Gearbox? Shafts?

jaybeerex

Well this is a bit of an odd one but here goes, i got my 04 facelift rolla around 3 months ago now, i bought it as a very well looked after, albeit cat C repaired car. There was a faint noise that sounded like a nearside wheelbearing, but i was ok with this so picked up.

Shortly after purchasing i got some 16inch superleggeras, the rolling radius was slightly smaller as the profile on these differed from the stock tyres and there was some noise issues at certain speeds, however after changing wheel nuts and pressures etc this ceased, although road noise was a lot louder.

In the meantime i had 2 wheelbearings changed as the noise remained after the N/S and still following the O/S change. It only quietened down following a box oil drop and change. The fact he put in a litre more oil than was taken out of the box led the mechanic to believe that its the gearbox bearings as this is a problem he has seen before in t-sports, now my car had done only 32000 genuine documented miles so i was doubtful and ran the car as it was following the oil change as all was quiet.

However, with my girlfriend living in blackpool i quickly found myself doing well over 350 miles a week for a period of time at which point i started hearing more persistant noise, which again sounds to be coming from the box area and noise at certain speeds also. initially it was around 80mph i would hear a noise that sounded like rotation noise, a continuous 'whum, whum whum' and then with further driving i hear it at around 40mph, 60mph and 70 upwards. Now below 40mph there is no noise to inidicate a problem. it doesnt occur in a particular gear only, its consistent in all gears, and doesn't go away when i press the clutch, or take it out of gear.

I've tried changing the front wheels and tyres out with a pair from a friends car and the noise remains.

I'm clueless at this stage and it's getting me down so much the car's even on eBay and autotrader as i just want a small engined reliable diesel and cash to pay off some debts, but the fact im not positive on the cause of the problem or in a financial position to splash out on a gearbox i'm at a loose end........

Hi

Get the manifold bracket checked! Mine was loose and made a similar noise to what yours is making. My noise did stop tho when i pressed the clutch tho. I had a new manifold bracket under warranty and its been fine since

well leaving the car park this evening on right full lock i hear, 'click, click, click' it seems strange, im driving home on the motorway, change lanes turning right, and the whum whum whum, goes away? i take a roundabout turning right while maintaining speed and no noise?

Well I've just been to the garage this morning and taken my mechanic out for a drive and then back for a check over.

and the verdict is in......

It's the chuffing nearside wheel bearing! again!!!!!

The original bloke who did it when i first got the car has cream crackered it so it's having a new bearing and retaining flange, thank god! however i am still selling the car as i do need a nice little diesel for commuting and to pay off some bits and bobs so if anybodys after a bargain t sport, its on the trader ;)

Good news its just a wheel bearing and not something else. Our gearboxes arent that weak so it was a worry for this kind of problem. Wish you luck with the sale.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links