Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Click

apat17

Hello all,

Its been a while since I've been on a toyota forum. Last time was when I had an 01 avensis, been to citroen, VW and now back with Auris. Only got the 08 d4d t spirit and have a query. I have warranty but I want to check first what it is. When I turn the steering wheel from left to right there is a clicking noise coming from the stalk area. It's like a 'plastic' click and doesn't sound like anything metal. Can someone help. Thanks.

sounds just like the problem i had mate.

i had a new stering column fitted under warranty, problem solved :thumbsup:

sounds just like the problem i had mate.

i had a new stering column fitted under warranty, problem solved :thumbsup:

do you know what the problem was? I forgot to add that it only makes the noise when turning left.

thanks

mine was making the clicking noise when turning the wheel left and right, but you could only hear it at parking speeds

the main dealer first thought they could fix it by replacing a small part(cant remember what it was callad) this didnt work so they replaced the whole column .

mine was making the clicking noise when turning the wheel left and right, but you could only hear it at parking speeds

the main dealer first thought they could fix it by replacing a small part(cant remember what it was callad) this didnt work so they replaced the whole column .

was there an extended warranty for this problem? I bought the car from an independent dealer with a 3 month warranty. His mechanic will not be sure of any specific toyota problems.

my car was under 3 years old when i had the problem, but its a known problem to toyota, so i would be surprised if they wont help you if your cars more than 3 years old.

contact them by email at. customer.relations@tgb.toyota.co.uk or ring them on . 01737 367600

was there an extended warranty for this problem? I bought the car from an independent dealer with a 3 month warranty. His mechanic will not be sure of any specific toyota problems.

Hi,

You state that the car is an 08 reg, March to August 2008. With a bit of luck you will still have the balance of the Toyota official warranty!

If so take it to a Toyota dealer NOT the independent you bought it from.

The Auris has a motor assist steering system - not hydraulic as earlier cars have. Failure of the electric system is a well documented fault and I have just had mine replaced. My symptoms were a clicking noise from the driver's footwell. The dealer who sold it to me said it was just a dash rattle. However, my local MrT took it for a drive and immediately advised that it needed a new steering column.

Replaced under the extended warranty. £800 for parts only.

As bruce e suggests you should have a very good chance of getting Toyota to fix it. If nothing else they should diagnose the fault for you.

Krait

The Auris has a motor assist steering system - not hydraulic as earlier cars have. Failure of the electric system is a well documented fault and I have just had mine replaced. My symptoms were a clicking noise from the driver's footwell. The dealer who sold it to me said it was just a dash rattle. However, my local MrT took it for a drive and immediately advised that it needed a new steering column.

As bruce e suggests you should have a very good chance of getting Toyota to fix it. If nothing else they should diagnose the fault for you.

Krait

Thanks everyone. It's March 2008 model so I have emailed off problem to toyota and waiting on response. Will let you know as I am dubious that they will offer to fix the problem under warranty. If that's the case back to the independant!! Incidentally what would happen if I continued to use car with this click without getting it fixed?

Krait

Thanks everyone. It's March 2008 model so I have emailed off problem to toyota and waiting on response. Will let you know as I am dubious that they will offer to fix the problem under warranty. If that's the case back to the independant!! Incidentally what would happen if I continued to use car with this click without getting it fixed?

The consequence of a steering failure don't bare thinking about. be interesting to see what Toyota have to say on the matter & would they ok with the possible bad publicity i the event of a catstrophic failure

Krait

The consequence of a steering failure don't bare thinking about. be interesting to see what Toyota have to say on the matter & would they ok with the possible bad publicity i the event of a catstrophic failure

the question has been asked before but, but is this problem covered by a extended warranty or not. i ask because ive noticed a couple of times recently a single click when slow speed manouvering,though cant produce any sound when turning steering lock to lock when stationary or abusing the steering to try reproduce the sound.i am sure if i had my MR T look at it, it would not click at all as it only makes this noise very infrequently.

Krait

the question has been asked before but, but is this problem covered by a extended warranty or not. i ask because ive noticed a couple of times recently a single click when slow speed manouvering,though cant produce any sound when turning steering lock to lock when stationary or abusing the steering to try reproduce the sound.i am sure if i had my MR T look at it, it would not click at all as it only makes this noise very infrequently.

If it was a Toyota extended warrenty then the answer would be yes it is covered but as your warrenty from an independant then they will probably moan & groan & decline the claim. I may be wrong but some of these extended warrenties are next to worthless. Lets hope that I am wrong!

It is a recall fix so warranty means nothing, they will honour the recall even if the car was 6 years old (impossilbe at the moment but you get the point).

It is a recall fix so warranty means nothing, they will honour the recall even if the car was 6 years old (impossilbe at the moment but you get the point).

hi crasstoe,thats what i am asking,is it a recall/extended warrany job or not.

my auris was purchased from a toyota dealership,the warrany ran out last march.all sevices carried out by toyota dealerships.just need to be fuly armed before taking into dealer for checking out.if it s a recall job,why hae i been notified.has it been already done before i purchased it (S/H) and failed again.i have a list from dealer of work done on car from new but nothing mentioned about steering.

Steering column is not a recall. Ofically Auris had two recalls:

Recall Ref: R/2008/189

Exact Model: Auris

Description: REAR BRAKE CALIPERS MAY DETACH

VIN:

Build Date: 02 Jan 2008 to 02 Jan 2008

Numbers: 8

--------------------------

Recall Ref: R/2010/010

Exact Model: Aygo (MMT or VSC only), iQ,Yaris, Auris, Verso Corolla, Rav4 & Avensis

Description: ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY FAIL TO RETURN TO IDLE

VIN:

Build Date:

Numbers: 176861

-----------------------

There was something they called service action related to steering rack, but long time ago for 2007 and some 2008 models. The steering column appears to be quite common fault. My was replaced when car had 15k on the clock.

Theres good news for you then. Problem solved! :D

The car has had a full toyota service history but there is no mention of a recall for steering. Is it possible that the recall was missed or is only done if the fault appears.

I do not bellieve that it is a recall. If it was, all of us would be getting letters advising us to report for a checkup.

When I had mine done they said that fortunately it was covered by the extended warranty.

Is there some way to check the recalls? I believe that this can be confirmed by checking with VOSA.

Krait.

I called my local garage and explained the clicking - they didn't even check it they just replaced it. I was told it was a recall item by the service desk, and it is highly possible that they do not know which batch of cars were effected.

"I believe that this can be confirmed by checking with VOSA."

VOSA are only interested in safety related recalls. A "clicking" steering, unless reported as a potential steering failure by the manufacturer, will not be listed with VOSA. However, Toyota have decided, to their credit, that some cars may be affected and will sort the problem out as necessary whether by a manufacturer recall or on a case by case basis as reported by customers. :)

Same thing at mine... Unfortunately not more warranty and no 800 pounds too. :S Is it gonna get worse or dangerous?

Same thing at mine... Unfortunately not more warranty and no 800 pounds too. :S Is it gonna get worse or dangerous?

Sorry mate but can't understand what you are saying?

:)I didn't have time to phrase it well... So I read somewhere above, that the st. column was replaced is someone's car, under warranty. Anyway the cost would've been some 800 pounds. My car's four years old, so it's out of the warranty period. Plus at the moment I wouldn't like to spend 800 on a new column. My main question: What could be the consequences if just ignore the noise, and don't take it a mechanic.

:)I didn't have time to phrase it well... So I read somewhere above, that the st. column was replaced is someone's car, under warranty. Anyway the cost would've been some 800 pounds. My car's four years old, so it's out of the warranty period. Plus at the moment I wouldn't like to spend 800 on a new column. My main question: What could be the consequences if just ignore the noise, and don't take it a mechanic.

I think a technician needs to answer that BUT Toyota would not be replacing free if it didn't feel it had to. I would recommend you ask the question at a dealership.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links