Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Time To Change Brakes Soon

Speed_Chaser

Hi guys!

One year ago guys at Toyota service told me that I'll probably need to change my brakes at next service.

What would you suggest? I don't want superexpensive like Brembo and I don't want anything made for racing which brakes bad when cold. I like driving fast so I need all the possible braking power but I don't want brakes which squeak and don't work properly when cold.

I'd also want to invest a bit in the discs if it will increase the braking power or the looks. For the looks I'd like grooved and/or drilled ones. But don't know if they'll suit my needs.

Also low dust level would be nice.

Any suggestions?

EBC GreenStuff pads supposedly generate less dust

Yes I know that. But is there pads for Auris? I checked once and found only Ultimax (black one). They are "OEM replacement".

I'd put Mintex on it, less dust and no complaints from me for the Verso, Corolla T-Sport and old Celica.

Greenstuff is a bit boy racerish for, also people say they need to be warm or you have to press the pedal hard.

Do you find them better than the stock ones when it comes to braking power?

What's with the discs? I'd like to upgrade them aswell. I've heard that people tend to replace them together with pads. I am after braking power but improving the looks would be nice too. Maybe slotted/drilled if they're not much more expensive compared to ordinary ones and do fit my needs.

They are a bit better than the originals, you should never put old pads on new discs. Cross drilled/sloted wont really make much difference, unless your prepared to spend serious money. Or put 6 pot calipers on it and they will again cost serious cash. Not really worth it on a normal car.

Yes I know that. But is there pads for Auris? I checked once and found only Ultimax (black one). They are "OEM replacement".

How's this?

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/parts_pad.asp?part=pad&make=TOYOTA&model=Auris&year=1%2E6+%282006%2D%29

@cab - GreenStuff should be okay as they're supposed to be uprated OE, it's the RedStuff and higher pads that need a bit of heat in them.

That said, I'm just parroting what I've read as I haven't used them yet. OEM brakes still doing okay! :lol:

They are a bit better than the originals, you should never put old pads on new discs. Cross drilled/sloted wont really make much difference, unless your prepared to spend serious money. Or put 6 pot calipers on it and they will again cost serious cash. Not really worth it on a normal car.

Are there some cheap discs available with slots? They'd be cool for the look if they're not much more expensive comaped to stock and are not worse neither.

Is there any other pads to be suggested, anyone? So far I've heard only about EBC and Mintex. There was a guy from Russia on this forum with nickname Xpyyy. Maybe some of you remember him. He installed Project Mu pads. Any info on them for example? Supposedly they were quite good as he was after quality. But he was racing his car quite a lot, so probably they're more of a racing type.

http://www.ebcbrakes...6+%282006%2D%29

@cab - GreenStuff should be okay as they're supposed to be uprated OE, it's the RedStuff and higher pads that need a bit of heat in them.

That said, I'm just parroting what I've read as I haven't used them yet. OEM brakes still doing okay! :lol:

I thought that Black EBCs are OEM replacements...

Its your call as its your car but...when i had the CTS there were a lot of people on here tried all sorts of different types, EBC Green Stuff were very poor for wear rates and no better than stock for stopping and needed some warmth. Red Stuff needed a lot more heat to stop. Things could have changed its been a few years, but i doubt it.

• 3 weeks later...

For a standard car the OEM pads or equivalent are the way to go. Expensive pads are only worth it if you have a high power car and drive at high speed.

A 1.6 Auris is not a high power car so why waste your money.

If you go for high power brakes and pads you are also increasing the unsprung weight.

Its your call and your money.

If you want better braking buy better tyres.

if it's not too late I would suggest looking at MTEC discs (at least for an Avensis they are cheaper than the oem & seem to perform better as well as looking better).

I use Ferodo Premier pads - not the cheapest but I'm happy.

No it's not too late yet :) Still planning! Thanks for the input guys.

Sandy, I know that there's not too much power, however I do feel insecure sometimes while braking. Maybe it's because of too high speed though... I know it's slow, but it finally gets going fast if one keeps pressing the pedal long enough! :D

This is my first car so it's a bit like a test car. I install and see how things work without knowing much beforehand. Because of not having experience, it's difficult to predict what's enough and what's not. There have been many things which I removed or remade. But I do also have things which are overkills. That's just how it goes. One needs to buy bad things/too good things before learning what suits him best.

Heidfirst, I've been very busy lately. But now have more time and started to think about my car again. I've been looking into Ferodo allready. Should be easier to purchase compared to some japanese brakes that people suggested to me. Ferodo has lots of dealers in the UK and Europe, even in Finland if I want to go local. Also they should have brakes for the UK built Auris. I believe that japanese companies make brakes only for the jap built cars. I've heard good things about Ferodo from other people aswell.

Need to investigate more now to get the exact prices etc etc. That will make it easier to compare and decide.

Buy yourself a pair of Apec Brake Pads, you won't be disappointed.

I used to buy Mintex for my remapped 307 HDi, but it squeaked all the time and they didn't even last 4 months.

I've had Apec Brake Pads for my Auris 2.0 D-4D which has a tuning box on it, they have no squeaking, work excellent in the cold and even better in high temperatures.

Although I personally change them every 6 months, front and rear, the ones that are replaced don't even have a quarter of the compound used and perform as good as new, even if they are worked hard on a daily basis.

They are alot cheaper then EBC, I think it's a win-win, do some research, I hope this post helps...

EBC GreenStuff pads supposedly generate less dust

Did you already use this EBC GreenStuff pads?How is the performance?

I used 2 sets of EBC discs and greenstuff pads all round in my previous car, they did produce less dust, other than that as I'm not driving on a track I can't say I noticed a difference from the OEM Bosch discs and pads. I did not experience any squeals or noises from the brakes any more though!

When the time comes to replace the discs and pads on my T180, I'll probably go for EBC again. As far as I'm aware, EBC state that it's only the red stuff and yellow stuff pads which do not work well from cold and need to reach an optimum temperature.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have any info on Diamond Balck brakes guys?

Pagid seems to be widely avaialble, but no opinion ot them. I replaced mine with ATE disks/pads. Maybe not the cheapest but they work very good.

Diamon Black used to be tuning performance parts and quite expensive. Not sure if they do road stuff too but I can't see the reason for fitting performance brakes to Auris.

I am looking into Ferodo, Dixcel and Endless brakes at the moment. What I need to know is the sizes of brake pads for front and rear. Because dealers want to ensure that they're offering correct size and shape. Can anyone confirm this info that I found? Car is 2007 model with 1.6 petrol engine, built in the UK.

Front:

139x55.7

Thickness 17,5

Rear:

98.5x42.4

Thickness 15

Front:

139x55.7

Thickness 17,5

Rear:

98.5x42.4

Thickness 15

The ones you specified are for Akebono System. Bosch are:

Front:

136.9x 57.8

Thickness 19.2

Rear:

102.2x 45.9

Thickenss 16.

I got it from ATE box so you may want to double check and confirm with your VIN.

Thanks mate! Just saved me from lots of investigation work :) Do you happen to have any info on the rotors aswell?

....Do you happen to have any info on the rotors aswell?

If by rotors you mean disks then:

VIN Japan

Front vented

Thickness 22/ min 19

Diameter 275

Rear solid:

Thickness 9/ min 7.5

Diameter 259

VIN England:

Rear solid:

Thickness 10/ min 8

Diameter 270

Front vented

Thickness 26/ min 24

Diameter 273

According to some eBay shop so not sure how reliable the data are.

Do you have any info on Diamond Balck brakes guys?

you should be able to check on their website.

when I was looking a year ago they were just introducing discs fo the 2.2 & were very dear.

Also, they seem to be a a sister co. of a no. of others who used exactly the same basic disc but the treatment/finish of the disc was different.

Jettech, you seem to be right about disc diameter. I found a website which states the same. So this info is double checked now :)

I wonder why shops don't know the size. Many dealers are asking me for brake size... I thought they should have catalogues.

Heidfirst, I asked for a quote from a company regarding the BD kit. We'll see what will they offer. Endless doesn't seem to have brakes for UK bulit Auris.

Yep I sent an enquiry to MTEC. There seems to be two slightly different options for front discs. Which ones would fit my car? Although I'm quite sure people at MTEC know what are they doing, it's always good to ask to prevent mistakes.

Not all know what they're doing, as when I sent an enquiry to Endless, they were asking me to remove one front and one rear brake pad, draw around it, scan, and send the drawing to them. Totally crazy, where are their catalogues... Just wondering who would do such an operation just to get a quote...? I didn't :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links