Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr180 - New Pistons - Block

davidsr180

HI all,its a pity that the short engine/block or what ever you like to call it,is not how they used to be.

take vauxhalls years ago, short engines were all brand new.the only thing you fitted from the original engine to the new block was sump and the cylinder head, though in some models the oil pump was reused.as ive said everything was brand new.i should imagine these days the cost to toyota would make it prohibitive to do this.

the toyota technicans/mechanics should be trained and skilled enough to rebuild an engine to an acceptable standard.

but you will always have individual who have the attetude 'near enough is good 'in every workshop.

now you get a bare block new pistons,shells and a head you use the old crank and con rods and valves.... on the petrol rebuilds you got a complete short block

• Like 1

HI all,its a pity that the short engine/block or what ever you like to call it,is not how they used to be.

take vauxhalls years ago, short engines were all brand new.the only thing you fitted from the original engine to the new block was sump and the cylinder head, though in some models the oil pump was reused.as ive said everything was brand new.i should imagine these days the cost to toyota would make it prohibitive to do this.

the toyota technicans/mechanics should be trained and skilled enough to rebuild an engine to an acceptable standard.

but you will always have individual who have the attetude 'near enough is good 'in every workshop.

now you get a bare block new pistons,shells and a head you use the old crank and con rods and valves.... on the petrol rebuilds you got a complete short block

Is there any reason why the petrol engine rebuilds get a complete short block and the diesels use the old crank/conrods and valves mate?

Why does it show a link to !Removed! eBay everytime I write something on here?!!!:ffs:

Edited by Mistermena

because on the petrol one the shells and the crank were getting damaged thats why they got complete short blocks

• Like 1

because on the petrol one the shells and the crank were getting damaged thats why they got complete short blocks

Many thanks for the info on that. :thumbsup:

It amazes me how many people on this forum are complaining about the level of service they get regarding this problem.

YES, a head gasket failure is a massive inconveniance, and nobody wants this to happen to them, but i have yet to read a single article on any other car forum where the manufacturer have said that they would sort an issue of this size past the 3 year/60,000 mile point.

To everyone who thinks of leaving Toyota and going elsewhere, i wish you good luck, because if the same problem happens on another marque, there is a good chance that you will have the same inconvenience, but also be greeted wit a big bill.

IMO, Toyota deserve a lot of credit for extending the warranty by almost double to cover an expensive job.

It certainly hasn't put me off owning one 'just incase' i have this problem.

You're perfectly right, I can't put off Toyota now because I had a fault and it was repaired at their own expense even tough with an elapsed warranty. I'm very satisfied with their job and it's done very professional. Thanks again to our friend ORMI whom he was of great help for me, for the only problem I had is for my dealer to except it was a factory fault but when I forced them to contact UK for proofs I already had, they were convinced and job done. ;)

BTW I was given an extra 2year warranty. :thumbsup:

I'm very please that Toyota repaired the car for you. What was the fault you had? And how did you manage to get a 2 year extra warranty out of Mr T? :thumbsup:

The fault I had was that at high revs the coolant was being blown out the expansion tank due to pressure build up in the water system because of the head gasket leak. No overheating or what so ever, the engine was still running smooth.

I had a complete short block, that includes crank and pistons and bare cylinder head.

Re warranty, obviously I asked for a warranty after all that job being done to the vehicle and they offered a 2yr parts guarantee which for me seem to be reasonable and I'm quite happy. :yes:

• Like 1

HI Ormi,i suppose the different engine rectification work was the gasket problem with the diesels.and oil consumption problems with the petrol, that emptied the sump causing the bearing failure.

2 seperate problems,2 seperate means of fixing.

gone are the days when crankshaft bearings were a standard size,(exept after regrind)so much easier then.you could pick up new shells almost any motor factor and they would fit.

Seems that there are quite a few problems that affect these engines?

1. Head gasket failure.

2. Pistons rings.

3. Water pump failure.

4. Injector problems.

5. Oil comsumption.

6. EGR faults

Have I missed anything?

Crank shaft shells being replaced, Now that is serious, I would never be happy with that engine again. 112k miles warranty??? then what,, if fault re-appears its bye bye Rav, written off I presume.

• Like 1

1. Head gasket failure.

2. Pistons rings.

3. Water pump failure.

4. Injector problems.

5. Oil comsumption.

6. EGR faults

Have I missed anything?

Crank shaft shells being replaced, Now that is serious, I would never be happy with that engine again. 112k miles warranty??? then what,, if fault re-appears its bye bye Rav, written off I presume.

The warranty question is something I'm going to be putting to Toyota UK in an email later on today. I want to know what happens now if after this 2nd "New" engine fails like the last one in 8000 miles what happens then? I'm sure that there are other T-180 owners out there who have had there engine changed who will be as concerend as I am to know where they stand!...

1. Head gasket failure.

2. Pistons rings.

3. Water pump failure.

4. Injector problems.

5. Oil comsumption.

6. EGR faults

Have I missed anything?

The warranty question is something I'm going to be putting to Toyota UK in an email later on today. I want to know what happens now if after this 2nd "New" engine fails like the last one in 8000 miles what happens then? I'm sure that there are other T-180 owners out there who have had there engine changed who will be as concerend as I am to know where they stand!...

And so you should, How do you know its not going to fail again? is this still an on going fault with the engine, or was it down to poor workmanship in the repair, I can see this being a long process trying to prove who is at fault, espesially if you know nothing about engines.

Rover K- series engine springs to mine here, I surpose Toyota have been good by extending this warranty, but then after the 112K what then? These cars should be capable of doing double that, but its seems some dont reach 1/10th of the milage.

1. Head gasket failure.

2. Pistons rings.

3. Water pump failure.

4. Injector problems.

5. Oil comsumption.

6. EGR faults

Have I missed anything?

And so you should, How do you know its not going to fail again? is this still an on going fault with the engine, or was it down to poor workmanship in the repair, I can see this being a long process trying to prove who is at fault, espesially if you know nothing about engines.

Rover K- series engine springs to mine here, I surpose Toyota have been good by extending this warranty, but then after the 112K what then? These cars should be capable of doing double that, but its seems some dont reach 1/10th of the milage.

I think that the 1st rebuild was a bit of a !Removed! job, and maybe used the wrong/new mod gasket. When I was buying the car I got hold of the reg and rang the local main dealer (Very helpful) to ask some question. They'd told me that the car had a new engine fitted by another Toyota dealer up North, so I asked for there number and gave them a ring to find out some details. They wouldn't answer any of my questions and the guy was a little aggressive and obtuse.:censor:

So I contacted Toyota UK and they contacted the dealer on my behalf to find out the information and sent me a letter to confirm the engine had been replaced under the extended warrany head gasket issue.

I'm sure that Mr T will not be happy that they paid out for the 1st engine re-build, only to find it fail at such a low milage!!!... Luckly I know a lot about cars so know when I'm being given the run -a-round. I'm hoping that Toyota will assure me(And others) that they are positive in there approach to this ongoing issue :thumbsup:

To date I only have praise for Toyota UK and their excellent dealer in Cardiff :yes:

• Like 1

1. Head gasket failure.

2. Pistons rings.

3. Water pump failure.

4. Injector problems.

5. Oil comsumption.

6. EGR faults

Have I missed anything?

I think that the 1st rebuild was a bit of a !Removed! job, and maybe used the wrong/new mod gasket. When I was buying the car I got hold of the reg and rang the local main dealer (Very helpful) to ask some question. They'd told me that the car had a new engine fitted by another Toyota dealer up North, so I asked for there number and gave them a ring to find out some details. They wouldn't answer any of my questions and the guy was a little aggressive and obtuse.:censor:

So I contacted Toyota UK and they contacted the dealer on my behalf to find out the information and sent me a letter to confirm the engine had been replaced under the extended warrany head gasket issue.

I'm sure that Mr T will not be happy that they paid out for the 1st engine re-build, only to find it fail at such a low milage!!!... Luckly I know a lot about cars so know when I'm being given the run -a-round. I'm hoping that Toyota will assure me(And others) that they are positive in there approach to this ongoing issue :thumbsup:

To date I only have praise for Toyota UK and their excellent dealer in Cardiff :yes:

I surpose you have some good legs to stand on, I do`nt think Toyota wants your car to fail for a 3rd time with the same fault, Now that would look bad. :crybaby:

1. Head gasket failure.

2. Pistons rings.

3. Water pump failure.

4. Injector problems.

5. Oil comsumption.

6. EGR faults

Have I missed anything?

I surpose you have some good legs to stand on, I do`nt think Toyota wants your car to fail for a 3rd time with the same fault, Now that would look bad. :crybaby:

Oh yer! :yes: I dont think they want it in for a 3rd time an all :thumbsup:

HI Ormi,i suppose the different engine rectification work was the gasket problem with the diesels.and oil consumption problems with the petrol, that emptied the sump causing the bearing failure.

2 seperate problems,2 seperate means of fixing.

gone are the days when crankshaft bearings were a standard size,(exept after regrind)so much easier then.you could pick up new shells almost any motor factor and they would fit.

you are correct......

con rod shells.... 5 sizes

crank shells.......5 sizes..

dont think many factors will ever start stocking these..

their is also 4 diff gasket thickness's...A-D

• Like 1

I didnt get a new engine when mine used too much oil. All i got was new piston rings. Not Fair

• 4 months later...

Whatever you think, please choose your words carefully. You are obviously bored enough to trawl through old posts but those kind of comments are unwelcome.

Ancs

Edited by anchorman
Unnecessary comments

Whatever you think, please choose your words carefully. You are obviously bored enough to trawl through old posts but those kind of comments are unwelcome.

Ancs

what did he say please tell :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links