Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Light Bulb Type Or Model Number

moonknight

I'm planning to shop around for light bulbs to replace the orange ones in front headlights and the rear lights, and also the the signal lights on the side mirrors. But how do I know which types of light bulbs will fit? Is there a name of the light bulb or a model number I can bring to a store and ask? Also what brands do you guys recommend? I heard Philips and PIAA are good brands. Thanks.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tarquin

• moonknight

• JordaniQ

• DFish

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

The bulbs you need are "Philips Silver Vision WY21W" available from powerbulbs.com.

Not sure what you mean about the mirror ones, They are a strip of amber LED's integral in the cluster and are visible as clear until illuminated.

David

Here is a pic of mine. There are a lot out there with the wrong connections but the model in my previous post is correct. Also here is a pic of a replacement mirror indicator. This one has multi functions. Indicator, DRL (daytime running Lights) and downward facing puddle lights that can be wired to come on when you approach the car.wired off your internal light. The whole of the unit is transparent no amber showing as the lights are LED.

David

post-109788-0-97506900-1328356713_thumb.

post-109788-0-21736600-1328356904_thumb.

I use Philips Silver vision ones in my other car too and will replace the iQ ones sometime.

They look great as they are silver until you turn them on when they illuminate a really bright orange. No more orange reflections inside the light fittings when they aren't in use. :)

Craig.

Here is a pic of mine. There are a lot out there with the wrong connections but the model in my previous post is correct. Also here is a pic of a replacement mirror indicator. This one has multi functions. Indicator, DRL (daytime running Lights) and downward facing puddle lights that can be wired to come on when you approach the car.wired off your internal light. The whole of the unit is transparent no amber showing as the lights are LED.

David

That light bulb in the picture is still orange. I'm looking for a white one because I don't like the fried egg effect. (as people call it). But Craig said they are silver until you turn them on?? I'm not sure now, because they definitely look orange in the pic.

Also, How do I wire the downward facing puddle lights? I've mever seen the light turn on while I'm apporaching it.

Thanks,

Kevin

David

That light bulb in the picture is still orange. I'm looking for a white one because I don't like the fried egg effect. (as people call it). But Craig said they are silver until you turn them on?? I'm not sure now, because they definitely look orange in the pic.

Also, How do I wire the downward facing puddle lights? I've mever seen the light turn on while I'm apporaching it.

Thanks,

Kevin

If you have keyless entry and the interior light switch to on as you open the door, the lights should switch on as you approach. This is only with the iQ2 abd iQ3, not the iQ1.

Ok Kevin, strangely i was reviewimg the pics. The pic was taken from the side and is indeed orange. When viewed fron the top it is silver and of course that is what you see when you look at the light cluster. All my indicator lights are silver. No orange visable untill switched on. Will get a pic tomorrow. The pic i took today was to show the base required for the iQ.

As for the mirror imdicators, the original ones are only populated with orange LED's and look clear when off. So wasnt sure why you wanted to do anything with them. The pic i sent is of a cluster that is available and is the same as the original except it has other LED's as well as the orange ones. One set can be wired to your side lights and come on when they are on or wired to DRL's if you have any ( although not sure of the legal use of that option). The other set of white LED's point downwards and as Marc said can be wired to your internal light so with the smart entry will come on and light the floor by the door when you approach the car The original cluster does not have any of these functions except as an indicator

David

Am I the only one who doesn't mind a fried egg or two? All other car forums people de-yolk their cars as first mod :S

J

I would like them removed, but at £30 to do it I'll pass. Yeah I know I sound like a cheapubik!!!

Fish

OK I scrapped the snow off and here are a couple of pics. One it the bulb taken from the top (you can see my iPhone taking it) and the other is as seen through the lens ( the coloured glow you can see is a reflection of me freezing to death not the bulb.

David

post-109788-0-10106200-1328452621_thumb.

post-109788-0-53085900-1328452745_thumb.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind a fried egg or two? All other car forums people de-yolk their cars as first mod :S J

I'm with you. I never looked at a car and thought "Argghhh! Orange indicators! What ever next?" lol

Am I the only one who doesn't mind a fried egg or two? All other car forums people de-yolk their cars as first mod :S J

I'm with you. I never looked at a car and thought "Argghhh! Orange indicators! What ever next?" lol

Innit haha. I respect it though, does give it a cleaner look. But i just wouldn't bother from the cost of them. Especially as indicators are usually car-specific, unlike H7's or w5w bulbs.

P.s we should so organise an iQ meet!

J

Las Vegas?

David

Sure let's all fit our iQ's in our hand luggages and fly to las Vegas

Which reminds me..was washing the Q last week and my next door neighbour goes 'should've just whacked it in the washing machine mate' LOL

J

Ha lol Difficult to think of a central location for every one. have to do a survey on locations of people likely to attend. I still think its a great idea of yours. B& Q car park up the road to me is good lol

David

How about somewhere central to GB in the summertime and make it near a place to camp/stay in a B&B? As it might be too far to travel there and back in one day.

I may be the most extreme in terms of North of England, dunno if there's any scots on this forum..shall we start a new thread? Kinda hijacking/off-topicing xD

Jordan

Ok I'm going to go back on topic for a second lol, I found these on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIAA-H-225-XTREME-WHITE-BULBS-HID-LOOK-WY21W-FITMENT-/170772233672?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c2d17dc8

Will these fit as well? Are these illegal?

Ok I'm going to go back on topic for a second lol, I found these on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIAA-H-225-XTREME-WHITE-BULBS-HID-LOOK-WY21W-FITMENT-/170772233672?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c2d17dc8

For what? Sidelights? As for legality..should be fine as long as its not like that blue colour police cars use. They're white so should be fine.

Jordan

Probably better than the original, you could use them as DRL's if their nice and bright.

David

Back Off Topic, sorry...

Is there a general Toyota meeting somewhere in the country? Like a great big Toyota get together? I used to have a Vauxhall Cavalier 2000 GSi in the 90's -for 8 years- and we used to have a Vauxhall Performace Car Club (VPCC) meet, as well as joining other meets -as a group- at multi car and classic car shows. Up North, near Knutsford (not far off M6 J18) a place called Tatton Park hold big car meets, a few times a year.

Classic & Performance Car Spectacular - From 2 June 2012 to 4 June 2012

The 25th year for one of Britain's best and most popular classic car events. Around 2,000 classic, vintage and performance cars are on show and around 80 of Britain's top club displays including Jaguar, Lotus,Mercedes Benz and a special Italian car club feature. Massive 2-day Cheshire autojumble with classic car-mart. General trade stands, children's rides and refreshments. For more information visit www.cheshireautopromotions.co.uk or call Cheshire Auto Promotions on 01565 723 863.

http://events.tatton...743648000000000

Thing is, you have to park on the grass, bumpy, for you'se with lowered cars. Obviously, there are other places... Having looked at the 'Meetings' area, it appears there is isn't much on for this year, aside from regional stuff. Tretham Gardens in Stoke too is another good place to meet. That is where all the Big VPCC meets were. Anyway's, we'll see I guess what comes of this.

Ok I'm going to go back on topic for a second lol, I found these on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/...=item27c2d17dc8

For what? Sidelights? As for legality..should be fine as long as its not like that blue colour police cars use. They're white so should be fine.

Jordan

Im guessing the headlights, right? You guys told me to look for WY21W lights. So just to clear things up, WY21W is for the headlights and the backlights, right?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links