Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlights

Mick F

On 1/19/2023 at 10:48 PM, Mo Ali said:

Thank you sir, you are a legend!

I'm more than happy to have a spare set for MOT as driving down country lanes is troublesome.

Please could you check if this fits my Yaris hybrid 2018? 

https://amzn.eu/d/0Znwe4w

Someone in the questions section has mentioned that they have used this one on their Yaris

https://amzn.eu/d/agig8Bi

• 7 months later...
On 1/19/2023 at 8:50 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

LED bulbs will work - however since last year, installing LED bulbs in headlights designed for halogen will be an MOT fail.

I took my car for MOT, with halogen bulbs... the nearside headlight was too low, hence failed the MOT. The guy said your headlight unit needs replacing as we tried to adjust the beam but couldn't.

I'm assuming the beam couldn't be adjusted as the bulbs are led halogens (which I got from Amazon) and not yellow filament bulb. Going to the mechanic with both the yellow filament bulbs and will ask to try and adjust the beam. Hopefully this should resort the problem! I'm not changing the headlight unit for a 2018 Yaris!!! Which is very expensive...

Does anyone know the specifications for the original Toyota Aygo second-gen headlight bulb? I am trying to find out the difference between that and the optiwhite. In particular I am interested in what hours the original was rated at, that is, how long it lasted.

I don't want a bulb that will not last long. The original of mine did about 36,000 miles with the other still working. So I am not sure what Toyota have quoted me. They have quoted me about £55 for one bulb fitted. I assume I have Philips fitted so they must be offering me another Philips. 

If you go onto the official Toyota parts store you can see they are only offering the optiwhites now. 

They let me know there was also a Toshiba bulb. Unsure if this is what I have fitted but for that they wanted £75 fitted. Fitting is £25 for single lamp although was told they would do both headlamps for the same price. But unsure if they should charge for fitting. 

I don't think Toyota offer the original bulb anymore. If you got to the offical Philips page you can clearly see there that there are only 3 HIR2 bulbs. Unless it was the eco-one that they fitted at first when manufactured? That has a stunning 2000 hours lifespan according to the specs. I would go for it but I need to know whether that is brighter or dimmer than what I was using initially, but again, I need the original specs of the bulb to make that decision. 

When HIR2 bulbs first came out, they were manufactured by GE or Toshiba. As far as I'm aware, the bulbs originally fitted into the IQ were Toshiba. Toshiba stopped making HIR type bulbs a few years ago.

Later HIR2 bulbs fitted as OE into Toyotas are currently made by Philips - who also make the Toyota branded Optiwhite HIR2 bulbs.

Aftermarket brands include Philips, Osram, Tungsram (a GE brand), Elta, Lucas (an Elta brand), PIAA, etc.

On 9/17/2023 at 7:48 AM, Mo Ali said:

I took my car for MOT, with halogen bulbs... the nearside headlight was too low, hence failed the MOT. The guy said your headlight unit needs replacing as we tried to adjust the beam but couldn't.

I'm assuming the beam couldn't be adjusted as the bulbs are led halogens (which I got from Amazon) and not yellow filament bulb. Going to the mechanic with both the yellow filament bulbs and will ask to try and adjust the beam. Hopefully this should resort the problem! I'm not changing the headlight unit for a 2018 Yaris!!! Which is very expensive...

It's either halogen or led, not a mixture. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links