Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Number Plates...

Aimee

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aimee

• T V O R

• Jan van de Wouw

• Parts-King

As I have said, I think personalised plates, which I admit aren't for me, are a matter of choice and, provided they meet the rules about spacing etc, are a perfectly legitimate option. What really grates is the way people fiddle with numbers and letters to pretend they are something they are not. A major point of a plate is to facilitate ready identification. This can be seriously frustrated by playing with plates. You see some plates where the doctoring is so desperate that you wonder what such a seriously sad person it is that needs to do that :wacko:

I'm quite happy to see a police clampdown on this sort of activity but it needs to address the usual owner's fallback of keeping a set of legitimate plates 'just in case'. Much bigger fines in my view as there should be with drivers who use mobiles on the move.

I still don't get it :blink: whats wrong with a standard numberplate?

Nothing at all, if you are happy with it.

Why do people change their wheels, change their CD systems have bigger exhausts etc? It’s all to do with modifying and personalising your own car. Some people are happy driving round in any old motor, others like Japanese cars and small hatchbacks like Yaris’s and Aygos and talk about them on the internet.

Me? I like a private personal plate that looks nice and finishes off my car nicely :thumbsup:

“Technically” I suppose it might be illegal as it doesn’t have any dealer logos on it or where it was made

They can't be "Technically illegal" :lol: They ARE illegal

My problem is I have to spend money and be licensed to make them, and somebody else comes along and just makes an illegal plate.........That's wrong and summat should be done about it........rant over........calming now ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

As I have said, I think personalised plates, which I admit aren't for me, are a matter of choice and, provided they meet the rules about spacing etc, are a perfectly legitimate option. What really grates is the way people fiddle with numbers and letters to pretend they are something they are not. A major point of a plate is to facilitate ready identification. This can be seriously frustrated by playing with plates. You see some plates where the doctoring is so desperate that you wonder what such a seriously sad person it is that needs to do that :wacko:

I'm quite happy to see a police clampdown on this sort of activity but it needs to address the usual owner's fallback of keeping a set of legitimate plates 'just in case'. Much bigger fines in my view as there should be with drivers who use mobiles on the move.

What I meant by standardised is whats wrong with one that complies with the law. Why are people perfectly willing to risk a fine and court appearance over a number plate by trying to bend the rules and hide the legal requirements in the borders of the plate etc...

Why are people perfectly willing to risk a fine and court appearance over a number plate by trying to bend the rules and hide the legal requirements in the borders of the plate etc...

The same reason why people remove catalytic converters from their cars (number plates aren’t pumping out damaging gasses) or have exhausts that exceed legal noise levels or drive while using mobile phones, the list goes on.

Parts King, no offence but I don’t want to advertise your dealership on my number plates (or anybody else’s in that case) :thumbsup:

It's a lot cheaper to legally change your name to match your existing numberplate - and it's legal !

It's a lot cheaper to legally change your name to match your existing numberplate - and it's legal !

Now that's lateral thinking :lol:

Parts King, no offence but I don’t want to advertise your dealership on my number plates (or anybody else’s in that case)

I can see both sides of the argument here (assuming that Parts King's company name has to appear on the plate). I confess I do not know how these plates are actually made but can't the plate simply show a registered number if necessary so that the official, licensed, manufacturer can be traced if needs be? At least that protects Part's King's investment (quite rightly) and doesn't stop any separate advertising of that business.

This reminds me of those cars I have seen with a transfer on them advertising a dealer. I would want that off my car in five seconds flat but am less unhappy about the dealer putting the usual sticker in the back window that I can easily remove if I want. Maybe, with plates, owners ought to be asked to make a choice - plate with makers name and registered number or plate just with registered number (the latter being the least you can opt for). It's a bit like the EU or GB element of plates. I happen to hate the EU (personal thing) so insisted that I had a proper 'British' plate for my Corolla with no EU stars on it.

Either way, none of this changes my view about sad individuals who feel the need to change a plate into something it most obviously isn't :P

Why are people perfectly willing to risk a fine and court appearance over a number plate by trying to bend the rules and hide the legal requirements in the borders of the plate etc...

The same reason why people remove catalytic converters from their cars (number plates aren’t pumping out damaging gasses) or have exhausts that exceed legal noise levels or drive while using mobile phones, the list goes on.

Parts King, no offence but I don’t want to advertise your dealership on my number plates (or anybody else’s in that case) :thumbsup:

Non taken :D: But at some time in time in the future, you will have to comply with the law. It is the law that requires our name on the plate, not some cheap advertising idea. I think the fines are petty considering the fine for me making a dodgy plate, if you fined the end user heavily for using them, the bottom would fall out of the market for illegal plates. Of course this is a petty rant of mine and I think it is far too easy to fine the motorist for just about any irregularity, but if we have a law designed at having legal plates, then more should be done to clamp down on illegal use

It will be an eagle eyed policeman and a bitter one to spot and charge for not having a dealer logo on a number plate. Nothing else about it is going to draw attention to it. The spacing font size etc is all as required.

It will be an eagle eyed policeman and a bitter one to spot and charge for not having a dealer logo on a number plate. Nothing else about it is going to draw attention to it. The spacing font size etc is all as required.

Fairy snuff, I'm all out of rants now :lol:

Be great to see the look on a checkout persons face when you sign you name AB08 XYZ and when they see that on your credit card :lol:

i do disagree with stupid fonts/pictures etc, ive had the plate fitted and it doesnt look *dodgy* in any way. Ive had police follow me afew times in traffic and theyve not so much as blinked an eye at me... and thats because its fully legible! it also has postcode/dealership name of where it was made etc.

i do disagree with stupid fonts/pictures etc, ive had the plate fitted and it doesnt look *dodgy* in any way. Ive had police follow me afew times in traffic and theyve not so much as blinked an eye at me... and thats because its fully legible! it also has postcode/dealership name of where it was made etc.

Sorry Aimee but im kinda stealing your idea! Ive purchased a square plate but its gonna go in the middle.

Should give it the import look.

hmmm, i too am liking the square number plate idea. But then again i like a lot of things that dont actually end up making their way onto the car!

Oh and if you all become West Brom fans, you can all have legal private plates, like mine! ??? WBA, and no, i dont have the Badge on the plate.

Note : West Brom = Last seasons championship winners, this seasons premiership winners, its a football thing.

omg theres loads of WBA fans here in telford, guess thats because theyre not that far away! hehe

not stealing my idea at all, for the time being ive gone with standard plates until further notice :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here she is now with her squareish plate

squareplate.jpg

oohh i love it :D

i want mine mounted on the passenger side :( tis impossible!

lookin gooood :thumbsup:

To the passenger side would mean to the side showing "08" in the picture above?

Yeah, that WOULD be impossible, unless you want to seriously lessen the engine cooling...

squareplate.jpg

Reminds me of Hitler's moustach. It would probably look better offset. Alfa Romeo(s) seem to get away with it.

oohh i love it :D

i want mine mounted on the passenger side :( tis impossible!

lookin gooood :thumbsup:

Am still liking this idea but agree that moved to one side would be my position of choice, (ooooerr, sorry been watching a 'bottom' marathon recently!).

I would have thought that it would have to go on the drivers side, to be nearer the middle of the road, not the passenger side which would put next to the pavement. Are there any restrictions about where it has to be?

squareplate.jpg

I’m still undecided. It doesn’t look ‘quite right’ I also think it is too far down. If the screws were about an inch lower so the plate was slightly higher then maybe. Will it affect air flow into the radiator seeing as its partially blocking the grill?

Reminds me of Hitler's moustach.

My first thought was actually "Theo en Thea"; two Dutch TV-characters who were easily

recognised by their rabits' teeth and I used to watch every sunday morning when I was little...

theoentheaboek1.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links