Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Avensis Sat Nav/hard Drive Premium Audio

Geordie Mick in Wigan

Got a new Avensis Tourer T4 Sat Nav with the premium audio/sat nav/reverse camera option arriving on Thursday. Does anyone know how to upload music to the hard drive? The sat nav you get on lower grade models has a USB/SD slot in the facia but rang Toyota GB who say you have to record the music from CD's :o

On a 10Gb hard drive that is going to take some time.

Also, does the reverse camera work at night, do the reverse lights illuminate the ground enough??

Thanks in advance

Mick

Mick.... have a play with the system and you will find a facility that allows you to set the CD player to automatically record any CD you put into it, so have a pile of your favourites and record away. You will find that the record is about 5 times quicker than the play so the whole album will normally record by the time you get to about track 4 or 5 when playing.

The system really is fool proof so have fun :thumbsup:

Has anyone tried to access the HDD through the HDD Update behind the screen? Looks like a regular firewire (1394). Would be very nice if you could access the HDD with just hooking up a pc.

HH

2009 Avensis 2.0 T4

Mick.... have a play with the system and you will find a facility that allows you to set the CD player to automatically record any CD you put into it, so have a pile of your favourites and record away. You will find that the record is about 5 times quicker than the play so the whole album will normally record by the time you get to about track 4 or 5 when playing.

Thanks Phoenix, like HH said, I thought there was a usb/firewire jack behind the screen?

ALL of my music is on either my pc or ipod, to put it all onto discs just to load it into car is going to be a right pain in the *****. I could just use the jack in the centre console and play it from the ipod but you'd lose some quality and it'd definitely sound better straight off the stereo.

Thanks Phoenix, like HH said, I thought there was a usb/firewire jack behind the screen?

ALL of my music is on either my pc or ipod, to put it all onto discs just to load it into car is going to be a right pain in the *****. I could just use the jack in the centre console and play it from the ipod but you'd lose some quality and it'd definitely sound better straight off the stereo.

According to the manual, the cd player will only record from original cds. So putting all of your music on to cd will not work :-( I've stored some cds on the HDD, but it feels very unnecessary to make a whole new library of my music when I already have one on the computer.

I'll try to hook my pc in the car tomorrow. Not too optimistic that it will be easy plug and play, but it is worth a shot.

HH

According to the manual, the cd player will only record from original cds. So putting all of your music on to cd will not work :-( I've stored some cds on the HDD, but it feels very unnecessary to make a whole new library of my music when I already have one on the computer.

I'll try to hook my pc in the car tomorrow. Not too optimistic that it will be easy plug and play, but it is worth a shot.

HH

Nice one HH, it's a bit of a P take when you plump for a £1500 option and you then have to spend days in your car uploading CD's, original's I don't have because I've bought everything since about 5 years ago on iTunes and copied all my old CD's into iTunes and binned them to save space. Out of interest, I wonder if you can play it through bluetooth? My Ipod has bluetooth, wonder if I can play it through that.....

HH

Nice one HH, it's a bit of a P take when you plump for a £1500 option and you then have to spend days in your car uploading CD's, original's I don't have because I've bought everything since about 5 years ago on iTunes and copied all my old CD's into iTunes and binned them to save space. Out of interest, I wonder if you can play it through bluetooth? My Ipod has bluetooth, wonder if I can play it through that.....

You should be able to play through bluetooth, but then you will not have bluetooth for your mobile. I've heard that iPhone can serve as both music player and phone at the same time, but I don't know that for sure. I just fitted original Toyota Ipod docking to my brothers 2007 Avensis. It was a lot easier job than I had feared, so if I can't access the HDD I might consider to get the USB/Ipod connector.

HH

You should be able to play through bluetooth, but then you will not have bluetooth for your mobile. I've heard that iPhone can serve as both music player and phone at the same time, but I don't know that for sure. I just fitted original Toyota Ipod docking to my brothers 2007 Avensis. It was a lot easier job than I had feared, so if I can't access the HDD I might consider to get the USB/Ipod connector.

Sorry folks, I tried to hook up my pc with the HDD today. The good news is that it is regular firewire, the bad news is that it looks like you need a driver installed on the pc to establish a connection. Nothing happend at all when I tried. My hope is that someone here can get hold of the driver. Anyone? :rolleyes:

I still think that if we could get a connection with the HDD we would be able to upload music straight from the computer.

HH

HH

Sorry folks, I tried to hook up my pc with the HDD today. The good news is that it is regular firewire, the bad news is that it looks like you need a driver installed on the pc to establish a connection. Nothing happend at all when I tried. My hope is that someone here can get hold of the driver. Anyone? :rolleyes:

I still think that if we could get a connection with the HDD we would be able to upload music straight from the computer.

HH

Is it not just an OBD socket for when it's in the garage for engine map updates etc... Many cars now store updates inside the CABUS data module which is often in the stereo.

HH, is your sat nav the £1500 'premium stereo' version with 11 Speakers, reverse camera etc? Or is yours the TNS5510?

HH

HH

Is it not just an OBD socket for when it's in the garage for engine map updates etc... Many cars now store updates inside the CABUS data module which is often in the stereo.

HH, is your sat nav the £1500 'premium stereo' version with 11 Speakers, reverse camera etc? Or is yours the TNS5510?

Yes, I have the premium version. Looks a lot better than the TNS5510. I'll check at the Toyota Techdoc site (http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/default.aspx) to see if I can find something there that can help us .

HH

HH

Yes, I have the premium version. Looks a lot better than the TNS5510. I'll check at the Toyota Techdoc site (http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/default.aspx) to see if I can find something there that can help us .

Just had a look on the techdoc and couldn't see anything, when you drill down to a T27 and select owners manuals it has one, a tow bar one!

Went to dealer today and they were completely dumb struck, didn't have a clue, ended up showing THEM the system, one of the service guys did a course on them earlier in year but he didn't even know there was an HDD update jack in the head unit. I can see me having to get the iPod integration kit to get some quality music through this 'premium audio' system, Toyota will be paying for it too, not happy at all that they've no knowledge at all on what they're expecting their dealers to sell.

Had my car over a week now and getting to grips with this system and have made the following observations:

You CAN use CDR's, but it won't recognise MP3 format, if you use iTunes you have to put the album in normal audio mode for it to be recognised, so it'll take forever to upload all your albums.

The firewire port behind the screen is only for updating the system by the dealer AND the data you import may be deleted when this is done at service intervals, but I reckon there's no way they'd bother to do that.

The worrying part is out of t he five dealers I've contacted NOBODY knew anything about the system, even though it's in top end Prius' and AVnesis' nobody has a clue.

You CANNOT add a iPod USB integration kit, when they put my reg in the system it gives a list of the options, doesn't include the iPod kit, put the reg in of a T2 spec and it does, seems the B9012 head unit doesn't have an input for the cable, BUT I think it does or how would the 3.5mm jack work? The question is whether the iPod cable has the same plug as the 3.5mm input at the head unit, so i'm going to have to take the head unit out to have a look.

Contacted Toyota GB yesterday who confirmed that manually loading the discs was the only way to get the music onto the system, so I now feel that I've wasted £1500 on this lot, the HDD is useless, the reverse camera is difficult to use as it's difficult to gauge distance on it and you can't see the rear corners, it should hav accompanying sensors on it, and the sat nav can't have safety camera points on it, so it seems like I've paid extra for a few more Speakers :rolleyes:

HH

HH

Just had a look on the techdoc and couldn't see anything, when you drill down to a T27 and select owners manuals it has one, a tow bar one!

Went to dealer today and they were completely dumb struck, didn't have a clue, ended up showing THEM the system, one of the service guys did a course on them earlier in year but he didn't even know there was an HDD update jack in the head unit. I can see me having to get the iPod integration kit to get some quality music through this 'premium audio' system, Toyota will be paying for it too, not happy at all that they've no knowledge at all on what they're expecting their dealers to sell.

• 1 month later...

Had my car over a week now and getting to grips with this system and have made the following observations:

You CAN use CDR's, but it won't recognise MP3 format, if you use iTunes you have to put the album in normal audio mode for it to be recognised, so it'll take forever to upload all your albums.

The firewire port behind the screen is only for updating the system by the dealer AND the data you import may be deleted when this is done at service intervals, but I reckon there's no way they'd bother to do that.

The worrying part is out of t he five dealers I've contacted NOBODY knew anything about the system, even though it's in top end Prius' and AVnesis' nobody has a clue.

You CANNOT add a iPod USB integration kit, when they put my reg in the system it gives a list of the options, doesn't include the iPod kit, put the reg in of a T2 spec and it does, seems the B9012 head unit doesn't have an input for the cable, BUT I think it does or how would the 3.5mm jack work? The question is whether the iPod cable has the same plug as the 3.5mm input at the head unit, so i'm going to have to take the head unit out to have a look.

Contacted Toyota GB yesterday who confirmed that manually loading the discs was the only way to get the music onto the system, so I now feel that I've wasted £1500 on this lot, the HDD is useless, the reverse camera is difficult to use as it's difficult to gauge distance on it and you can't see the rear corners, it should hav accompanying sensors on it, and the sat nav can't have safety camera points on it, so it seems like I've paid extra for a few more Speakers :rolleyes:

HH

HH

Turns out that you actually can have a phone hooked up as a mp3 player and still use all the telephone functions :-) My old SonyEricsson P1i serves my quite well. The only thing I miss is that you don't get up any file informaiton on the screen. But I can skip to next song from the steering wheel, and it automatically hooks up and starts playing when you start the car.

So getting a phone with some Gigabites might be the best solution :-)

HH

• 4 months later...

I have a Verso with this Premium Navigation with HDD and can tell, that it can play songs via bluetooth. I tried with Blackberry and was able to make audioplaying and at the same moment the phone was also accessible as a phone for calling via bluetooth. But unfortunately I have done something, that my phone doesn't connect anymore

Sorry guys, one more question - If you switch the reverse, do you see Rear Camera image only on Nav display, or some guidance lines - to make parking easier? Thanks.

Sorry guys, one more question - If you switch the reverse, do you see Rear Camera image only on Nav display, or some guidance lines - to make parking easier? Thanks.

The Avensis it not like the Prius.... so there are no guidance lines which is a shame :huh:

To pick up the point about creating CDs on your PC solely to load the tracks onto the HDD.

The Gracenote Database of CDs only contains records of popular recent CDs. If you create a CD from a selection of tracks on your PC you will have the enter an Album Name, Track Names & Genre via the SatNav keypad. A real pain in the a--e.

Older and less popular CDs may also require manual data input.

On a plus note. Prior to loading on all my CDs, I switched the recording quality down to good. I cannot tell any listening difference (at least with UK potholed roads). I have so far loaded 118 CDs and still have 25% of the HDD free.

To pick up the point about creating CDs on your PC solely to load the tracks onto the HDD.

The Gracenote Database of CDs only contains records of popular recent CDs. If you create a CD from a selection of tracks on your PC you will have the enter an Album Name, Track Names & Genre via the SatNav keypad. A real pain in the a--e.

Older and less popular CDs may also require manual data input.

On a plus note. Prior to loading on all my CDs, I switched the recording quality down to good. I cannot tell any listening difference (at least with UK potholed roads). I have so far loaded 118 CDs and still have 25% of the HDD free.

Hi guys. maybe i'm on the wrong track (sorry about the pun) but an Avensis like mine 2006/7 with a normal audio will take up to 6 discs in the slot so .... 6 cd discs with at least 10 full albums converted to mp3 at good quality on each cd = 60 albums, around 600 music tracks = up to 40 hrs of music, how much music do you need in a car! Does the premium audio system not have a 6 slot cd player, just usb and a hard drive? Seems a lot of trouble with mobile phones and loading up the HDD to me.

Expecting to get told off now LOL ..... Pete. :closedeyes:

Does the premium audio system not have a 6 slot cd player, just usb and a hard drive?

Good question. I already wrote to the Toyota dealer a letter. I have new Verso with HDD Navi from Danemark, and there is written, that it has a 6-disk CD changer. I haven't found that one in my car. Seems to be a joke.

FYI You will also not get USB from Factory, but you must install a USB kit for 200€. And even in this case I've heard, that Navi can not read USB flash drives. Only Ipods.

In my father's LR Discovery 3 there is also Radio with 6-disk CD-changer inside. In that car it is possible to load 6 mp3 disks at a time - that is good.

Anyway yesterday I tried to make DVD with mp3's on it. Can confirm - even if DVD has 4,7Gb(almost 7 conventional CD size) Navi is still reading only first 250 tracks(consuming only 1,5Gb!) - what a stupid limitation!

Does the premium audio system not have a 6 slot cd player, just usb and a hard drive?

Good question. I already wrote to the Toyota dealer a letter. I have new Verso with HDD Navi from Danemark, and there is written, that it has a 6-disk CD changer. I haven't found that one in my car. Seems to be a joke.

FYI You will also not get USB from Factory, but you must install a USB kit for 200€. And even in this case I've heard, that Navi can not read USB flash drives. Only Ipods.

There's no 6 CD changer in HDD Navi. In Finland it's very clearly written in accessories. In Luxury spec you get a better radio with indash 6-cd changer, but you'll loose that with Navi.

And USB can read flash drives just fine. I have the Toyota USB connection in my T27 Avensis and it's working just fine with 4gb flash stick. IPod touch is having problems :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links