Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Pad Shims

carinfront

Hello all,

Squeaky brakes.....

Seen mentioned on here before somewhere about a shim that can be used to fit to the brakes, this assists them not to screech like a strangled cat etc.

Does anyone know if these can be bought from Mr T separately? Or do they only come with a set of pads? Also seen it mentioned on Honest John website, a known problem with the brakes apparently!?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Hello all,

Squeaky brakes.....

Seen mentioned on here before somewhere about a shim that can be used to fit to the brakes, this assists them not to screech like a strangled cat etc.

Does anyone know if these can be bought from Mr T separately? Or do they only come with a set of pads? Also seen it mentioned on Honest John website, a known problem with the brakes apparently!?

Mike

i would also like to know about this please

Hello all,

Squeaky brakes.....

Mike

This problem effects a lot of modern cars i.e. Renaults and Fords,VW. British Leyland in their hay day invented "Copper Grease" to solve this problem and it worked fine. But if you put 2 layers of 2" (50mm) masking tape on the back of the pads and "EDGE" to shape. It will stop the transfer of noise/frequency to the disk and will eliminate the problem. Think of this like a wet finger rubbed on the top edge of a wine glass. You will find this solution on all BMW and MERC pads, they have a gasket type material stuck on the back of the pad from new. I wouldn't fit shims unless they are an authorised engineered part installed by Toyota Europe. Shims do come on some pads but in the event of an accident...or brake lockup...etc etc ! Also make sure the brake caliper pads carrage/cradle is spotless and copper greased to allow free movement of the pads.

Regards

Fergal

Regards\

Fergal

Hello all,

Squeaky brakes.....

Mike

This problem effects a lot of modern cars i.e. Renaults and Fords,VW. British Leyland in their hay day invented "Copper Grease" to solve this problem and it worked fine. But if you put 2 layers of 2" (50mm) masking tape on the back of the pads and "EDGE" to shape. It will stop the transfer of noise/frequency to the disk and will eliminate the problem. Think of this like a wet finger rubbed on the top edge of a wine glass. You will find this solution on all BMW and MERC pads, they have a gasket type material stuck on the back of the pad from new. I wouldn't fit shims unless they are an authorised engineered part installed by Toyota Europe. Shims do come on some pads but in the event of an accident...or brake lockup...etc etc ! Also make sure the brake caliper pads carrage/cradle is spotless and copper greased to allow free movement of the pads.

Regards

Fergal

Regards\

Fergal

interesting what you say about the tape solution. So what yr saying is a couple of layers of tape should sort it?! I'm certainly going to take that further and see if it can be done. Re the shims, I was led to believe it was a part authorised by Mr T, is this not the case then ?

Cheers for help!

Mike

Hello all,

Squeaky brakes.....

Mike

Regards

Fergal

Regards\

Fergal

interesting what you say about the tape solution. So what yr saying is a couple of layers of tape should sort it?! I'm certainly going to take that further and see if it can be done. Re the shims, I was led to believe it was a part authorised by Mr T, is this not the case then ?

Cheers for help!

Mike

Try some BENDIX Disc brake noise suppressor and apply it to the rear of the pads.

Hello all,

Squeaky brakes.....

Mike

Regards

Fergal

Regards\

Fergal

Cheers for help!

Mike

i have just rang toyota and they do some anti squeal shims for my 98 avensis but they are a whopping 25 quid for the kit for the fronts.......think i will have another go with grease etc as previously mentioned first

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links