Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cts Info Required

Bong Water

Ponzer looks after his car very well, near every member that owns a CTS is envious of it in one way or another. He does alot of work to the engine aswell as the body. I'm sure it had plenty in it. Though he had been messing with the box before-hand which probably helped it go pop.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bong Water

• MarcTS

• Mr_T_Sport

• ballist1x

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: You probably wouldnt want me as a regular, I tend to get bored in work and have a nasty habbit of sitting on forums all day!

I have owned 8 Honda's now and I must admit I will be very sad to leave the Honda scene so I will definitley be trying the Accord Type-S and maybe try a CTR too but its doubtful I will settle for either

How old are you lads? Just want an idea for the average age of the CTS owner as CTR owners all seem to be very young

Accord 2.4 isn’t a true V-TEC i.e. no real kick, I wouldn’t even test drive one they are very disappointing.

CTS is a nice car once you master the clutch ;)

basically if you drop from 6th gear at 100mph to 2nd gear (instead of 4th), you WILL force the car to overrev... cos 2nd gear only goes to 65mph~...so you will force it to rev to about 12k rpm! NICE. NOT.

basically dont downshift more than x number of gears at x mph.. or reduce the mph and then downshift...

but say u were doing 40 in 3rd..and wanted to drop to 2nd, that would be fine... sure it would sound a bit:/ but would put u about 5500rpm... which is fine...

dropping from 3rd to 1st however would put u much closer to the limiter at 40mph....

I see! worry over i was starting to think normal downshiffting knackered it up.

The owners manual tells you what speed each gear goes up to. As long as you don't try and put it into that gear above that speed you'll be fine. Same as any other car.

No oil cooler after all that?

It probably had no oil in it no wonder the pump wouldnt pick up, and what was in it must have been like water!

ponzer's is a compressor,and they have oil coolers as standard,and as been mentioned it's well looked after.as with any car abuse it to the extreme and it will go pop!

Can you put a pic up of what the short shifter looks like. Cheers mate! :thumbsup:

You mean how it looks when installed?

Yes please mate, im assuming you replace the gear stick, if not appologies for being thick. :)

Here ya go. It does come with it's own gear knob which is marked up as TRD and is the same size and shape as a golf ball pretty much. I didn't like it, so I stuck with the original knob.

trdshifter01.jpg

trdshifter02.jpg

No oil cooler after all that?

It probably had no oil in it no wonder the pump wouldnt pick up, and what was in it must have been like water!

ponzer's is a compressor,and they have oil coolers as standard,and as been mentioned it's well looked after.as with any car abuse it to the extreme and it will go pop!

and i am not suggesting that ponzer abuses his compressor or any other member their t-sports :thumbsup:

Ponzer had some sort of final drive or something i think. Downshift its a fact any engine can be severely damaged from a downshift, As long as when you down shift never do it near the limiter, When i down shifted it in 6th gear in lift and down to 4th clutch went downbut was still engaged as it kinda crunched in it popped the clutch and hit the limiter. The clutch took the pressure on my one instead of directly slotting in and over revving. Just dont downshift whilst in lift its a simple rule. other than that its fine.

Can you put a pic up of what the short shifter looks like. Cheers mate! :thumbsup:

You mean how it looks when installed?

Yes please mate, im assuming you replace the gear stick, if not appologies for being thick. :)

Here ya go. It does come with it's own gear knob which is marked up as TRD and is the same size and shape as a golf ball pretty much. I didn't like it, so I stuck with the original knob.

trdshifter01.jpg

trdshifter02.jpg

So it looks the same basically! Dont know why but i expected it to look like a rally cars gear stick, thats what was putting me off. Gonna sound like a tool again but do they basically mean you can change gear faster.

had my car for a year now. still enjoy driving it and thrashing the engine occasionally..

problems encountered;

squeeky clutch slave cylinder - £80

new clutch - £130

upgrades installed

Blitz LM panel filter - £30 prob not worth it

Ducting hose...£25...

TRD Oil filler cap £25 - looks great

Whiteline 23mm rear Anti Roll Bar £130 does a good job

Powerflex Motormount inserts - £30 from USA... great make the engine feel solid

to come

Injen CAI (14 whp gain!!) £150

EIbach pro -30mm springs £150

front strut brace £150

rear strut brace £100

outside posibilities

polished exhaust manifold

polished/dd intake manifold

PFC Apexi controller

averaging 34-36 mpg cross country (motorway/town driving)

oh im 26

where does the anti roll bar go on the vehicle and how good is it?

• 3 months later...

Still saving and lurking, I could get a pre but I really want a post and its hard while getting the bus to and from work to not be tempted to just go out and buy a pre but it will be worth it in the end

Still one or two other cars that im looking at but the CTS seems top of the list at the mo, its looking like Feb though :(

• 1 month later...

Mr Bong Water! what a surprise to see you here. You probably dont recognise me tbh, but im from CSC aswell, i had a a yellow vti, roger bought that from me, and then i had the red integra SiR.

I bought a pre face-lift cts just last week, and after driving the ctr and the cts, im confident i made the right choice! the build quality in the cts is amazing, none of these silly honda rattles at all. I get a very healthy 30-35mpg when driving this sensibly around town, and on the motorways i get between 45-55mpg that is obviously driving to the speed limits and not thrashing it.

Its a very fun car to drive, despite people saying that they are boring and lets say... a little played down. I dont agree, the handling is awesome, and has the added advantage of TRC, what extras does the ctr have to offer? My thinking is... none... it should never have been a type r, its not worthy!

The best thing about the cts as you have already mentioned is you dont see to many on the road, in fact ive not seen another cts around my way at all!

You wont regret buying 1 i am sure of it.

-Andy

Mr Bong Water! what a surprise to see you here. You probably dont recognise me tbh, but im from CSC aswell, i had a a yellow vti, roger bought that from me, and then i had the red integra SiR.

I bought a pre face-lift cts just last week, and after driving the ctr and the cts, im confident i made the right choice! the build quality in the cts is amazing, none of these silly honda rattles at all. I get a very healthy 30-35mpg when driving this sensibly around town, and on the motorways i get between 45-55mpg that is obviously driving to the speed limits and not thrashing it.

Its a very fun car to drive, despite people saying that they are boring and lets say... a little played down. I dont agree, the handling is awesome, and has the added advantage of TRC, what extras does the ctr have to offer? My thinking is... none... it should never have been a type r, its not worthy!

The best thing about the cts as you have already mentioned is you dont see to many on the road, in fact ive not seen another cts around my way at all!

-Andy

You must drive like my father to get 30-35mpg when driving around town.

How do you manage that?

I'm lucky if I get 25 mpg around town.

As for 45-55mpg on motorways the most I have ever managed is 42 mpg over a distance of 300 miles at 60 mph all the way.

My car is full serviced runs well and no problems with it yours must run on fumes.

It is fun to drive, must agree not many around only seen three others in six months of owning mine.

Still saving and lurking, I could get a pre but I really want a post and its hard while getting the bus to and from work to not be tempted to just go out and buy a pre but it will be worth it in the end

Still one or two other cars that im looking at but the CTS seems top of the list at the mo, its looking like Feb though :(

Get a pre nothing wrong with them IMO if you find a nice three door one especially if you get the leather interior as well.

-Andy

You must drive like my father to get 30-35mpg when driving around town.

How do you manage that?

I'm lucky if I get 25 mpg around town.

As for 45-55mpg on motorways the most I have ever managed is 42 mpg over a distance of 300 miles at 60 mph all the way.

My car is full serviced runs well and no problems with it yours must run on fumes.

It is fun to drive, must agree not many around only seen three others in six months of owning mine.

Haha yer i suppose i have turned into abit of a grandad driver! but i still give it the beans every now and then! ive come from a mk4 golf 1.4 to this cts. so ive been used to driving slow for some time now!

Agree about the pre too, mines full leather, and has the factory fit side skirts, looks awesome!

-Andy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links