Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lc4 - 2005 Underside Rust & Caliper Seizures

troutfisher

HI All,

New member and hope someone can feedback on this one. I have owned from new an LC4 and have looked after it well but I have had 2 calipers seize up the first about 2 years ago whilst under warranty and the second a month ago. Toyota replaced the first one FOC plus renewed all the discs & pads all round but they only paid for the the new caliper on the latest one which I thought was bit poor. However I have now noticed a good sdeal of surface rust appearing all ove the underside which is worrying and I dont know if I have any recourse to Toyota as it is now exactly one year out of warranty. As I say it has always been very well looked after. All the body work is in super condition and with only 46.5 K miles never towed trailers and not been in salt water however I do live a couple of miles from the sea.

I would welcome your views and experience to tell me is this the norm for this vehicle or am I unlucky. Any of you had these problems and have Toyota sorted them?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
HI All,

New member and hope someone can feedback on this one. I have owned from new an LC4 and have looked after it well but I have had 2 calipers seize up the first about 2 years ago whilst under warranty and the second a month ago. Toyota replaced the first one FOC plus renewed all the discs & pads all round but they only paid for the the new caliper on the latest one which I thought was bit poor. However I have now noticed a good sdeal of surface rust appearing all ove the underside which is worrying and I dont know if I have any recourse to Toyota as it is now exactly one year out of warranty. As I say it has always been very well looked after. All the body work is in super condition and with only 46.5 K miles never towed trailers and not been in salt water however I do live a couple of miles from the sea.

I would welcome your views and experience to tell me is this the norm for this vehicle or am I unlucky. Any of you had these problems and have Toyota sorted them?

Thanks

Strange but true

2 front calipers (seizure) on 2006 lc4 replaced under warranty yesterday...brake pads not covered vehicle reasonably well looked after 55-60k miles.

3 highway patrol vehicles at work 2007; lc3 200-220,000 motorway miles each with no problems with brakes during their lifetime (18mths). 1 current highway patrol vehicle lc4 40k miles approx; obtained summer 2009 no brake problems to date.

However our old vehicles did suffer from shock absorber failures in past(always maximum loaded and predominantly turning right).

Hope this helps

I recently purchased a LC4 2003 Landcruiser from a lady owner who had spent a lot of money on brakes. calipers, discs etc (have seen the invoices) and the car is in very good condition with lovely Astral Black bodywork but like you I was amazed how rusty the underbody is - which is quite obvious given the raised body on large tyres etc. Obviously Toyota's anti-corrosion work does not extend to the chasis??????????

I recently purchased a LC4 2003 Landcruiser from a lady owner who had spent a lot of money on brakes. calipers, discs etc (have seen the invoices) and the car is in very good condition with lovely Astral Black bodywork but like you I was amazed how rusty the underbody is - which is quite obvious given the raised body on large tyres etc. Obviously Toyota's anti-corrosion work does not extend to the chasis??????????

hello mate

this anti-corrosion treatment is out of critics for ravs, as well. i have been spending the TIME to treat all surface by rust remover contaiining a zinc disolved. also have purchased a bottle spray paint and painted well all this surface triple. Now corrosion has no change to be originated again.

The same is concerned to an exhaust pipes. Follow my advice --or ..........

Good Luck

Igor

Hi I have a 2005 LC5 from new and I know what you are referring to ref surface rust to chassis as I noticed this when I bought my first 3 year old Hilux from a friend in 1993. I don't think it will have structural implications but looks unsightly on these 4x4 cars as they have ladder chassis like lorries and are quite visible. My solution is Black waxoyl. I did it to tidy the chassis on my 3 year old Hilux all those years ago and since then Have applied it to all my 4x4 Toyotas . When I get a new one I black waxoyl the chassis axles etc as soon as I bring it home before any surface rust appears and from new it looks good for approx 3 years 50k miles than re apply as necc , best way is make sure car clean and dry underneath put on axle stands remove wheels buy new pressurised system from waxoyl and apply even over light rust ( see instructions with product ). Note messy job wear overalls face mask and protect floor of garage etc. Any over spray on body easily removed with white spirit or tar remover.Works better than paint in my experience .Caution dont get on brake discs etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I OWN A TOYOTA LANDCRUSIER REG 3/5/2005 IT IS 4 and HALF YEARS OLD WITH 70,000 MILES ON THE CLOCK SERVICED TWICE A YEAR BY TOYOTA DEALER SHIP IT IS SHOWING BAD SIGNS OF RUST ON THE UNDER BODY

AND THE SUMP TO THE ENGINE BAD RUST CAUSING AN OIL LEAK , THIS WAS REPORTED TO TOYOTA CUSTUMER SERVICES HOW SAID AS A GOOD WILL GESTURE THEY WOULD PAY THE COST OF A NEW SUMP BUT NOT COVER IT ON THE WARRANTY AS AS THE WARRANY WAS OUT THE GIRL I SPOKE TO AT TOYOTA SAID THE CAR WAS OLD AND I SHOULD EXPECT SOME PROBLEMS , HAVING OWNED CARS FOR 45 YEARS I HAVE NEVER BEFORE HAD A SUMP RUST BEFORE I HAVE OWN 8 TOYOTAS IN 10 YEARS THIS HAS PUT ME OF BUYING ANOTHER TOYOTA

I OWN A TOYOTA LANDCRUSIER REG 3/5/2005 IT IS 4 and HALF YEARS OLD WITH 70,000 MILES ON THE CLOCK SERVICED TWICE A YEAR BY TOYOTA DEALER SHIP IT IS SHOWING BAD SIGNS OF RUST ON THE UNDER BODY

AND THE SUMP TO THE ENGINE BAD RUST CAUSING AN OIL LEAK , THIS WAS REPORTED TO TOYOTA CUSTUMER SERVICES HOW SAID AS A GOOD WILL GESTURE THEY WOULD PAY THE COST OF A NEW SUMP BUT NOT COVER IT ON THE WARRANTY AS AS THE WARRANY WAS OUT THE GIRL I SPOKE TO AT TOYOTA SAID THE CAR WAS OLD AND I SHOULD EXPECT SOME PROBLEMS , HAVING OWNED CARS FOR 45 YEARS I HAVE NEVER BEFORE HAD A SUMP RUST BEFORE I HAVE OWN 8 TOYOTAS IN 10 YEARS THIS HAS PUT ME OF BUYING ANOTHER TOYOTA

Go and buy a Landrover then, they leak oil allover the place so you wont get a rusty sump, and then tell us when the landcruiser last let you down :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Go and buy a Landrover then, they leak oil allover the place so you wont get a rusty sump, and then tell us when the landcruiser last let you down :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I DONT MIND THE OIL LEAK SO MUCH IT THE HOLE IN THE SUMP DUE TO THE RUST AT 4 YEARS OLD AND NEVER BEEN OFF ROAD ALL MILAGE MOTORWAY

Maybe something has impacted with the sump, causing exposure to the steel which has in turn caused the sorrosion. Dont think this is a common fault to be honest.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links