Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris XP210 questions

Mushu84

Hi all,

Sorry for my English is not my native language.

New to this forum, if my questions were discussed I'm sorry and point me out there please. 

My wife and I just bought a XP210 Toyota Yaris 2021, 11k miles, Design spec yesterday, drove home about 100 miles and the below are my questions about the car.

A little car history, the last car before the was a Mini Cooper 2019 1.5 turbo, the same 3 cylinder size, but it seems more quiet and refined (no vibration in the cabin). We currently also have another Yaris 2006 1.0 3 cylinder so I have my fair share of 3 cylinder vibration/refinement history 

I have some questions about the new XP210 Yaris:

1.The cabin car noise seems quite high at speed, is this normal? also the engine seems loud/rough at idle?

2.At speeds of 70 miles I have a slight vibration in the steering wheel is that normal? Is that the engine vibration or I need to balance the front wheels urgently? also is not seem as stable in keeping the lane as other cars I had before? (seems to pull slowly to one of the sides)

3.When on the radar cruise control on motorway speeds, when the engine and the electric come on (accelerate or switching electric petrol) I feel a slight jolt is this normal?

4.Is normal for the plastic to vibrate loudly from the music?  the bass is at half (factory setting) and also not very high volume. (maybe some loose screws?)

Thank you for taking time and answer my questions,

Mushu 

The new Yaris.jpg

• Like 4

1) Mine is similar

2) Mine doesn't do this; I think you're right maybe wheels need balancing, and also tracking/toe adjusted

3) Mine sometimes has a small noticeable jerk when switching between petrol and electric, but it's similar to going over a small bump on the road and passengers shouldn't notice. Seems to be a normal thing. If yours is hard enough for people to notice and not think it's just normal road roughness then maybe get it checked tho'.

4) I had this in mine when I first got it; Seemed like something in the driver-side door card was loose and was resonating at certain bass frequencies in my case. It seems to have fixed itself in mine (Probably due to the amount of speed humps and potholes I go over on a regular basis!!)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

1) Mine is similar

2) Mine doesn't do this; I think you're right maybe wheels need balancing, and also tracking/toe adjusted

3) Mine sometimes has a small noticeable ***** when switching between petrol and electric, but it's similar to going over a small bump on the road and passengers shouldn't notice. Seems to be a normal thing. If yours is hard enough for people to notice and not think it's just normal road roughness then maybe get it checked tho'.

4) I had this in mine when I first got it; Seemed like something in the driver-side door card was loose and was resonating at certain bass frequencies in my case. It seems to have fixed itself in mine (Probably due to the amount of speed humps and potholes I go over on a regular basis!!)

Thanks for all the answers that clears a lot of my questions 

I will check the wheel alignment and balance ASAP. Not sure where to go and do it? any ideas? Toyota or any garage will do?

The Speakers and the noise level I will have to ignore 😞 

The ***** is very very faded like you say, but I felt it sometimes and it was strange, is not very prominent in the car, just wandering if that is normal 

Have a great Saturday 

If anyone has any idea what to do about the Speakers let me know, I'm quite mechanical if needed 😄 

If you have a place you trust to do it and they have a tracking system that they actually keep calibrated (Unlike some of my local tyre places, who I suspect haven't had their system calibrated since they were installed!), then use them - The Yaris doesn't have anything weird about it so anyone should be able to adjust the tracking and toe pretty easily.

With the sound, you'll need to locate where it's coming from, but I fairly positively tracked it to the driver's side door card - I was going to get the dealer to look at it at the next service (Unlike anchorman I was too scared to start dismantling my barely months-old car :laugh: ), but as I said it fixed itself before I could get them to look at it and it's not rattled since.

If yours is in the door card too and you want to DIY, you could remove it and see if there's a wire or connector that's loose and flopping about, as that's what it sounded like to me.

(You could also try and replicate my 'fix' by driving over a cobble-stone road and lots of excessively aggressive speed humps while playing a song that triggers the rattle, but maybe save that for a plan B or C... :laugh: )

• Haha 1

With all questions and concerns if new I will go straight back to the place I bought the car from and ask the service advisor or manager to check for me and balance the tyres plus do a wheel alignment, check door card and unusual things you have mentioned. If they find something not right they should fix it for free. Don’t be shy to ask and even push if necessary. 
Good luck 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cyker said:

If you have a place you trust to do it and they have a tracking system that they actually keep calibrated (Unlike some of my local tyre places, who I suspect haven't had their system calibrated since they were installed!), then use them - The Yaris doesn't have anything weird about it so anyone should be able to adjust the tracking and toe pretty easily.

With the sound, you'll need to locate where it's coming from, but I fairly positively tracked it to the driver's side door card - I was going to get the dealer to look at it at the next service (Unlike anchorman I was too scared to start dismantling my barely months-old car :laugh: ), but as I said it fixed itself before I could get them to look at it and it's not rattled since.

If yours is in the door card too and you want to DIY, you could remove it and see if there's a wire or connector that's loose and flopping about, as that's what it sounded like to me.

(You could also try and replicate my 'fix' by driving over a cobble-stone road and lots of excessively aggressive speed humps while playing a song that triggers the rattle, but maybe save that for a plan B or C... :laugh: )

Yeah....love your solution for the sound rattling 😄 

I need to find a good garage to do it as in my city is big lack of them...and like you say I do not trust them

I will take a look to see if  I can DIY maybe tomorrow as today was rainy all day 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

With all questions and concerns if new I will go straight back to the place I bought the car from and ask the service advisor or manager to check for me and balance the tyres plus do a wheel alignment, check door card and unusual things you have mentioned. If they find something not right they should fix it for free. Don’t be shy to ask and even push if necessary. 
Good luck 

Hi Tony,

The car is second hand from 2021 and I took it yesterday from the dealer, the dealership it is 100 miles away fro me and I don't think I can take it back just for wheel balancing and alignment but I will ask what can be done.

The rest are not a big deal is more of a questions if all of them are doing that or not.

I will keep an eye on it 

Thanks 🙂 

• Like 3

Also don't forget that the Yaris utilises haptic feedback (vibration) via the steering wheel when certain things happen that it feels are not safe while you are driving. Sometimes in tandem with an audible warning also...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mushu84 said:

Hi Tony,

The car is second hand from 2021 and I took it yesterday from the dealer, the dealership it is 100 miles away fro me and I don't think I can take it back just for wheel balancing and alignment but I will ask what can be done.

The rest are not a big deal is more of a questions if all of them are doing that or not.

I will keep an eye on it 

Thanks 🙂 

Ok, in this case you can speak with them and tell them your problems and concerns and they should offer a free check at different branch near you, if they don’t you can ask them for that.
This is perhaps the best starting point. It is just a purchased  car so still a warranty product. If anything turns to be a bigger issue and you chase them for warranty work they may refuse if anyone else touched the car before them or any of their authorised branches. I am just trying to help, not to male the things more difficult.
Good luck 👍 

• Like 3

Thanks Tony 🙂

I take any advice and help in a good way is a  forum in the end  🙂

I realize you are trying to help and give me advise, thanks for that 

Already send them an email about my discoveries so far, lets see says the blind men 😛 

Driving it today is was not that bad vibration anymore,  could had been the road from Boston to Cambridge, I can still feel it but is not that bad or I'm getting used to it LOL. I'm going to move the back tyres anyway to the front as I don't think they were done until now

The multimedia got stuck twice on Google maps / Apple carplay for some reason, I've simply pressed the power button and it restarted,  very strange...

Another thing is I listen to Spotify or YouTube music and sometimes the music is gets interrupted like the phone is far away on bluetooth but is connected by wire ?!? any ideas?

Have a great evening 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CPN said:

Also don't forget that the Yaris utilises haptic feedback (vibration) via the steering wheel when certain things happen that it feels are not safe while you are driving. Sometimes in tandem with an audible warning also...

Thank you for your answer, it is not that unfortunately 😞 , I've also experience that and is a total feel then that 🙂

But thanks for the advice 

• Like 1

Guys a quick question 

What is that top grill on the dashboard?

What grille? The one in the middle? Either the centre speaker if you have JBL, or the speaker for the SOS system I think.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

What grille? The one in the middle? Either the centre speaker if you have JBL, or the speaker for the SOS system I think.

WOW... really the SOS speaker ? I don't have JBL 😞, Thanks for the answer 

An update from Toyota:

1.The noise level is normal for the car and what ever I hear is just normal Hybrid sound

2.The vibration they say is to deactivate the lane assist and drive like that for a while as they suspect is the vibration from that (I really doubt that but willing to give it a try), the wheel alignment was tested before the car was given to me. (again they suspect the car movement I feel to be lane assist)

TBH I don't use the full function, just cruise control, not sure if that vibrates just on cruise?

3.The jolt/jerking I fell is totally normal hybrid behavior.

4.They recommended to check the door pockets (they were empty anyway), if not at the first oil change to check the doors

What do you think ?

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if it is the lane assist as the vibration alert isn't on by default (At least on the earlier models), but it's easy enough to check the setting in the main dashboard settings menu.

Have you been able to figure out where the rattle comes from, is it the doors like on mine?

Just make sure it's not e.g. a pen or locking wheel nuts in the glovebox or something, as that's a classic one :laugh: 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I'd be surprised if it is the lane assist as the vibration alert isn't on by default (At least on the earlier models), but it's easy enough to check the setting in the main dashboard settings menu.

Have you been able to figure out where the rattle comes from, is it the doors like on mine?

Just make sure it's not e.g. a pen or locking wheel nuts in the glovebox or something, as that's a classic one :laugh: 

LOL

I going to check, I have the wheel nut in the glove box but is in a bubble wrap envelope 🙂 I goin to move it somewhere else 😄 

About the doors, not it seems to be better after blasting the music yesterday during our drive, HAHAHA! 😛 

Can I permanently cancel the lane assist for a while? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mushu84 said:

Can I permanently cancel the lane assist for a while? 

You can (steering wheel controls) but it will come back on (by default) the next time you start the car.

(...and is why I asked what the steering wheel vibration was like...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CPN said:

You can (steering wheel controls) but it will come back on (by default) the next time you start the car.

(...and is why I asked what the steering wheel vibration was like...)

Thank you for your help, the vibration actually was not on, just checked, one hour ago.

There are there some settings that do t make any logic to me, like what is swing sense.

• Like 1

I had a BMW 2 Series Active Tourer with a 3 cylinder 1.5 petrol engine, I believe it is the same engine as fitted to the 1.5 Mini.  I have never driven, or ever been in a Yaris so I cannot offer any comparison.  However I do know that the BMW engine is fitted with a balancer shaft to reduce vibrations, something that is not fitted to the Yaris 1.5 engine.  So that would make the BMW engine inherently smoother.

Also, in order to make Toyota hybrids lighter and more economical soundproofing is reduced to the minimum.

I will be considering a new Yaris Cross next year, looking forward to a test drive.  The factors mentioned above are my chief concerns.  I have had 2 3-cylinder cars in the past and was never keen on either engine.

The Lexus LBX will be out soon, based on the Yaris Cross.  In order to improve driveability and refinement it will have a balancer shaft and additional soundproofing.  whether it is worth spending several thousands pounds over the price of a Yaris Cross is something I will have to consider.  The problem is there are very few new small hybrids to choose from, I am not keen on the look of the Honda Jazz.

• Like 3

While I try not to let appearance affect my purchase decision too much, I must admit the Jazz was very... uninspiring :laugh:  Especially next to the new Yaris, which looks pretty badass and very un-Toyotary!

The non-hybrid Yaris does have a balancing shaft, but in the hybrid they apparently removed it and put a counterweight on MG1 instead?

I do generally find the engine to be fine, vibration-wise, except when it's running while the car is stationary.

23 hours ago, Mushu84 said:

There are there some settings that do t make any logic to me, like what is swing sense.

I think that might be the thing that detects if you're weaving around in your lane, and alerts you. I must admit it doesn't seem to work very well as the radar cruise control has a tendency to weave around within the lane and it's never popped up an alert :laugh: 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Trewithy said:

I had a BMW 2 Series Active Tourer with a 3 cylinder 1.5 petrol engine, I believe it is the same engine as fitted to the 1.5 Mini.  I have never driven, or ever been in a Yaris so I cannot offer any comparison.  However I do know that the BMW engine is fitted with a balancer shaft to reduce vibrations, something that is not fitted to the Yaris 1.5 engine.  So that would make the BMW engine inherently smoother.

Also, in order to make Toyota hybrids lighter and more economical soundproofing is reduced to the minimum.

I will be considering a new Yaris Cross next year, looking forward to a test drive.  The factors mentioned above are my chief concerns.  I have had 2 3-cylinder cars in the past and was never keen on either engine.

The Lexus LBX will be out soon, based on the Yaris Cross.  In order to improve driveability and refinement it will have a balancer shaft and additional soundproofing.  whether it is worth spending several thousands pounds over the price of a Yaris Cross is something I will have to consider.  The problem is there are very few new small hybrids to choose from, I am not keen on the look of the Honda Jazz.

Thanks for you message 

I know what you say about BMW/Mini is a more complete experience and they are fast but at the same time there is a HUGE price difference between BMW/Mini vs Toyota 

At the same time I can tell you from my Mini experience, there a big lag with the gearbox if not in sport mode, the gear box is not that smooth especially cold and downshifting from 2 to 1 almost always it sends jerks. There is a hallow car sound the Mini has because of the shape of the car, test drive one and you will hear it is strange. No oil dip stick, call me old school but I like to check the oil every 2 weeks and btw if you want to check the oil you need to drive the car 30 min so the computer can tell you the level…..😒, also after 5000 miles a quarter of dipstick oil level was gone and I didn’t drive it sporty all the time most of the time normal commute to work in drive not sport

The Toyota Hybrid has advantages like instant response acceleration, more smooth gearbox, no jerking, even if you press to the floor you don’t feel like nothing happens.

Yaris for me has a lot going for it, sorry I started this thread with the bad stuff

I love the way it looks, after I get out of the car I admire it and for me that is a plus, love the hybrid technology 

Not so much kit missing compared to the Mini except heated seats and heated windscreen the rest is the same 

I have more confidence in the car lasting longer and that for me is a plus, also is more comfortable and with the roads quality in UK is important.

Toyota are not perfect by any means but they are at least reliable, that is my opinion at least.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

While I try not to let appearance affect my purchase decision too much, I must admit the Jazz was very... uninspiring :laugh:  Especially next to the new Yaris, which looks pretty badass and very un-Toyotary!

The non-hybrid Yaris does have a balancing shaft, but in the hybrid they apparently removed it and put a counterweight on MG1 instead?

I do generally find the engine to be fine, vibration-wise, except when it's running while the car is stationary.

I think that might be the thing that detects if you're weaving around in your lane, and alerts you. I must admit it doesn't seem to work very well as the radar cruise control has a tendency to weave around within the lane and it's never popped up an alert :laugh: 

LoL when it first started I joked with my wife that the generator has started 😂😂

• Like 1

Haha I must admit it does remind me a lot of my old diesel Yaris sometimes! :laugh:  I do like that growly 3-cylinder noise though, but it's definitely less refined than the buttery-smooth 4-cylinder petrol engines Toyota usually field!

You were lucky to join the club with this one tho' - The feeling of response and punchiness is probably better than any previous hybrid, except maybe the 2.0 Corolla!

It's also the first Yaris hybrid that can switch the engine between the economical Atkinson/Miller cycle and the conventional Otto-cycle. It's 1.5L, but in the economical mode it has the power of maybe a 1.2/1.3L engine and is quite gutless, but now that it can switch to Otto mode too it can deliver the full power and torque of a real 1.5L engine, which makes it far more fun! :naughty: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now let me stress you more with questions 😛 

-What miles do I need to change the transmission oil

-how much are the service costs 

- anything else special needs changing at some service intervals ? ex. at Mini you need to change the brake fluid every 2 years

Service intervals are 10k miles or 12 months, the cost best to check Toyota website or local dealer. Do them within the dealer network and you will have free hybrid Battery health check and another year ( 10000miles) of relax warranty.  They will take care of the car. Brake fluid is 2 years intervals. Transmission fluid is filled for life , although you can change at each 60-80k miles. Spark plugs at 60k. Coolant at 100k miles and then after each 50k miles. Toyota hybrids are cheaper and easier to maintain than other cars with ice and last longer.
For engine been rough when is running stationary is because it is charging the Battery and gets loaded, even the bigger 4 cylinder engines does the same. 👍

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links