Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gt4 Engine Removal

Fawbs

have a good time bud, can't wait to see this finished.

we're just waiting on a clutch to get delivered to the machine shop so the engine can all be balanced then it'll be time to put the jig-saw back together lol

• 3 weeks later...

well this is new. Anyway got the turbo fittings on tuesday unfortunately they forgot to pack the water fittings :S so im in the process of sorting that out. Me and andy are going to try smash the engine in this week but we are on days this week so daylight is not on our side. Anything happen with you guys any major modifications happening? My mate got the opportunity in a restaurant over in vegas to test drive 2 ferrari's and a gt40 :S unfortunately he can't drive, such a waste.

Oh and Lee you know that having a cat not having a cat thing on the vehicles up to 1995, will mine apply to this as mine is a 1995?

Oh and Lee you know that having a cat not having a cat thing on the vehicles up to 1995, will mine apply to this as mine is a 1995?

They started introducing the cats in 1992 so I think you won't need one providing that you didn't have one in the first place. :)

Ugh right i am a beaten man right now. Attempted to put the engine in and yes its in of sorts. Got the left and right mounts on but the rear mount is caught, the bracket is resting on the lip of the pin recess and i just dont have a screwdriver man enough to prize it off so im going up the squadron tomorrow to get an excalibur. I would have got a picture but it started raining and ive had enough :S Oh i did find a nest a with eggs in my engine bay when i popped the bonnet haha

lol at the eggs, not sure what power to weight youll get with them tho :lol:

if you can find a friendly MOT inspector and advise him that the car is a JDM import then all should be good.

glad to see you back at it again.

no progress here. cars sat on the drive pretty much as it was when i parked it up, all be it with more bird poo.

really got to get my arse in gear again.

Yeh my body is stiff as today and its still a bit drizzly but gonna get some tools and see if i can get the back mount into the bracket, its a about a mill from dropping into position

its in, its !Removed! in, took me a few secs to get the mount in place as i bought a ball seperator to smash into it, then i pulled on the engine from underneathe and it seemed to give way, needless to say i scrambled out of there as i thought it was going to drop on me. Anyway was able to rock it back and forward and get the mounts on and the steering rack bolted on.

its in, its bloody in, took me a few secs to get the mount in place as i bought a ball seperator to smash into it, then i pulled on the engine from underneathe and it seemed to give way, needless to say i scrambled out of there as i thought it was going to drop on me. Anyway was able to rock it back and forward and get the mounts on and the steering rack bolted on.

Awesome!!!

Congrats dude. I bloody hate putting the engine back in, mainly because it cost me £120 and also scratched my shiny bay again.... but that was easy to touch up. :)

How long until you get it running again? :huh:

Video first-start and post it up! :D

Right did a few hours on her today, went really well, alternator belt is on etc. Main things i need to do is make some brackets up for my coolers which i have a strip of stainless steel for. The other thing is my exhaust manifold which is on going, was going to get a stainless one and modify the setup but dont want to spend 100 odd quid on sumthing that may not work. Few more bits to get and should be ready for start up, got a few bets on as ppl think it wont start but im certain it will.

Right did a few hours on her today, went really well, alternator belt is on etc. Main things i need to do is make some brackets up for my coolers which i have a strip of stainless steel for. The other thing is my exhaust manifold which is on going, was going to get a stainless one and modify the setup but dont want to spend 100 odd quid on sumthing that may not work. Few more bits to get and should be ready for start up, got a few bets on as ppl think it wont start but im certain it will.

Make sure you have all things like exhaust heat-shields put in place, if not those then at least a heat-wrap. Only cost me £18 for 10 meters.

Yeh i had all my stuff wrapped up, im gonna coat the exhaust manifold in ceramic coating and might put some on the exhaust too along with the turbine housing.

Yeh i had all my stuff wrapped up, im gonna coat the exhaust manifold in ceramic coating and might put some on the exhaust too along with the turbine housing.

ok nice one.

I hope all goes well for first start! I'm really nervous about my first start, I hope that I haven't messed it all up... :unsure:

I still need to hook the engine back up. It's bolted in but need another 24hrs to get it start-worthy.

Then I need to get some £800 coilovers and finish off the body.

Going to be a while until I reach completion. :)

Thanks

One thing i need to ask is the fuel connections. The two bangjo style fittings, do the holes need to be lined up with the pipe or not as i have noticed there is like a collar where i guess it collects, im sure you will know what i mean lee. I tried lining up the holes and i just cant do it so im guessing its ok to have them not lined up. When do you want the hoist back lee?

Having a bit of trouble with the fuel filter aswell as the lower connection to it is well stuff and just doesnt feel right as i am tightening it so i am leaving it for now.

the banjo bolts just get tightened in and will work fine, no need to try and line up the holes.

take out the lower connection and check the threads, you might have nipped the threads slightly or it could just be tight.

gonna try and get on here more often as i want to see how she runs once you've got her running, we've got the engine back from the engineers pistons and rods are together and ready to go in but getting kept too busy with the day to day running of the garage to make a big push to get it together.

Fawbs, what cams are you using? do you know what your doing regarding to dialing them in?

i am using hks 264 cams, they will aid the turbo quite well but the general belief is the standard cams are the best but i want something abit more high revving. As for dialling the cams in i was going to leave it up to the mapper but theres a lot of info on gt4oc for dialling the cams in as phil p has basically the same setup all be it in a 185. Dans is similar too but with standard cams.

i am using hks 264 cams, they will aid the turbo quite well but the general belief is the standard cams are the best but i want something abit more high revving. As for dialling the cams in i was going to leave it up to the mapper but theres a lot of info on gt4oc for dialling the cams in as phil p has basically the same setup all be it in a 185. Dans is similar too but with standard cams.

264 cams will be insane! What this about dialing cams in? What is that? I may sound like a noob askign that but I'd like to rebuild my 4A-GE in the future trying to get the most N/A power. :naughty:

Collecting the info now would make things much easier for me when I get to it. :yes:

When you get vernier cam pulleys you can advance the timing or !Removed! the timing. I'm no where near an expert but with bigger cams it will aid spool up on the turbo and dialling the cams in will aid spool up even more and increase the hp i think. Bigger cams will also most likely move the power band up the rev range.

bring the crane back when your ready dude, cant do a deal ATM with me gammy knee anyway lol.

no need to align the holes in the banjo fitting.

yep bang on, bigger duration and lift cams will give more power but it will be higher up the rev range. KP unless your building a track beast be careful what you do to the 4A, its sensitive to cams and exhaust diameter.

the lower fuel filter fitting is a bit of a pig as it has a sort of split thread, they do feel tight. undo and as long as there is no sign of cross threading refit and tighten. all should be ok.

good luck with the fire up.

leave her running up to temp and keep a constant look out for leaks (keep a torch handy). once the fans are in switch off and allow to cool. also dont forget to pull the EFI fuse on the first crank to ensure you have oil pressure (might take a while to come up)

ok lee how does the first or the second of april sound?

When you get vernier cam pulleys you can advance the timing or retard the timing. I'm no where near an expert but with bigger cams it will aid spool up on the turbo and dialling the cams in will aid spool up even more and increase the hp i think. Bigger cams will also most likely move the power band up the rev range.

ah thanks mate. :thumbsup:

What is the adapter size that bolts the sandwich plate on to where the oil filter goes? I had one with my sandwich plate but i seem to have lost it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links