Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Engine

genterz

Having recently bought a 2006 Non T180 engined version, what differences are there between the two engines that gives one 40 odd bhp more than the other?

And is it possible to tweak the lower tuned unit to get it nearer to 180bhp?

Thanks.

Yes you can tune the 140 engine to nearly 170bhp - see Parts-King from this forum.

In terms of difference, best way i could put it is... in the 140 it overtakes well but you have to think about it. In the 180 if you see a gap you can go. The extra shove is quite thrilling but only if you use it. Personally i would always buy the 140 model. Its an SUV and it doesn't cross into the sporty category that much. It is just rapid but i will admit it is a very thrilling engine to drive.

I got it in my T180 because the normaly d4d engine is quite dull and lifeless. In the t180 auris with different suspension and more toys it makes it slightly sporty when you want it to be, it can be chucked around when you want and it will also be very comfortable capable long distance cruiser and yet it still gives me 44mpg.

To me the RAV is a spacious tough SUV for the family and the 140 is a great balance and is the one we have.

Having recently bought a 2006 Non T180 engined version, what differences are there between the two engines that gives one 40 odd bhp more than the other?

And is it possible to tweak the lower tuned unit to get it nearer to 180bhp?

Thanks.

I am not very technical, but in order to achieve its 40extra bhp the T180 has piezoelectronic fuel injectors, + consequently a different injection system it also has a fifth injector, not sure what this actually does, but other than these differences the engines are identical so you can be pretty sure you can safely tune your engine to 180bhp, one of our regulars (Mereside) has his T180 tuned to 212 bhp.. There are many companies offering tuning "chips" for these cars, you will see some as low as £99 on fleabay + you can pay about £900 for a genuine toyota one.. I have had one on my 140 rav for 2yrs without any problems which i purchased + had fitted by Lindop Toyota at Queensferry, If you PM a nember on here called Kingo or parts king he is the guy to speak to with regards price about £375 + anyone with basic mechanical skills can fit them (Mereside) fitted his own i think! Kingo quotes the bhp increase as being a minimum of 20% I would reckon at least 165 bhp which you will notice :thumbsup: IMO do abit of research before you buy, but stay well clear of the cheap fleabay ones which just trick the engine into thinking its running cold all the time, If you do a search on here you will find lots of posts about "chip" tuning, by the way Toyota engines cannot be re-mapped, They have to be chipped :thumbsup: Stew anything else just ask :yes:

Hi,

I think the main difference between the two engines are one is set for economy as when I test drove a 140bhp it was up to 40+ mpg straight away. My 180 has different injectors and complicated things inside the noisy thing under the bonnet and struggles to get 40mpg although I did a run with the chip fitted and very carefully got 43mpg.

The chip fitted very easily and has been faultles since fitted.

I value my car and look after it so would reccomend 'Kingo' for a chip for your car rather than risking some unknown brand as when I was looking everyone on this forum reccomended his.

To fit you unclip 2 clips and plug the chip in then wire it to the connection for the Battery... dead easy.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I think what I wanted to know got answered vaguely.

Basically, I know that I can buy a chip to take power up to 165 odd bhp.

But what I wondered was whether it was easy to transform my engine into the same as the T180 (I know, I should have just bought the T180 to start with!!!).

Because once you have the 180bhp, you can obviously add a chip to up power beyond 200.

Our kit takes your car from 136 BHP to 162 BHP and increases torque from 310 nm to 364 nm, an increase of 54 nm which is very noticable ;)

PM me for more details

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links