Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newby Needs Advice

liberclavis

Ladies and gentlemen,

This newby has a 2001 MR2 bought ridiculouly cheaply with 0135 warning light on. Otherwise the car is in superb condition, so I'm happy to pay for the problem to be resolved and I have a wonderful car - as opposed to the MGF that I have recently, in despair, disposed of. I am researching the 0135 problem and how to resolve it but driving the car anyway. Currently I am averaging 45mpg - a combo of town and longer runs. This grey haired bus pass-user is light on the right foot, but is this consumption normal or indicative of an engine problem - one possibly associated with the warning light?

Liberclavis

Hi and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

There is a lot of helpful information in "Important Topics" at the top of the > Roadster & MR-S start page as well as members posts in this section ;)

P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) This is the sensor on the right of the top manifold, as far as I know once up to temperature it shouldn't cause too much bother but please check the post on sensors in the "Hints & Tips" section before you spend any serious cash.

The one negative side of any 2001 production models is the early piston ring design that can cause problems if the car has not been properly maintained or had it's levels checked on a REGULAR basis (at least once a week for me), these rings can get gummed up causing rapid engine wear and immanent failure, don't believe that "Pre-cat failure" is the cause as this can be a consequence of constant oil contamination making them break up. 45 mpg is not a bad average (Check my Fuelly link in my signature) and if the engine is running well with no obvious oil usage you should be ok.

Les

Hi and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

There is a lot of helpful information in "Important Topics" at the top of the > Roadster & MR-S start page as well as members posts in this section ;)

P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) This is the sensor on the right of the top manifold, as far as I know once up to temperature it shouldn't cause too much bother but please check the post on sensors in the "Hints & Tips" section before you spend any serious cash.

The one negative side of any 2001 production models is the early piston ring design that can cause problems if the car has not been properly maintained or had it's levels checked on a REGULAR basis (at least once a week for me), these rings can get gummed up causing rapid engine wear and immanent failure, don't believe that "Pre-cat failure" is the cause as this can be a consequence of constant oil contamination making them break up. 45 mpg is not a bad average (Check my Fuelly link in my signature) and if the engine is running well with no obvious oil usage you should be ok.

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links