Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso Cold Idle

cearnshaw

Hi, I have just traded my 225bhp Leon Cupra for a 1.6 VVTi Corolla Verso :( (4 kids, needs must, the Seat was a second car but wouldn't fit us all in and the fuels bills/ins were just daft) The verso was a pre-reg with 3 miles on it and was a great deal. So far it seems pretty good but when starting from cold it idles at 1800-2000 rpm. This last for a couple of minutes and usually settles buy the time I have driven a mile but it does make that first mile down our street quite interesting as the car is trying to pull away a little more than I'd like. After this it idles at about 7-800 and is fine. It is also not a problem if starting from warm. I rang the salesman who said it might be a problem but he got the service manager to call me who said that Toyotas do tend to have a high idle and as long as it settles as the engine warms it's not a problem. It also means I get heat through the air vents fairly quickly which is nice. He did offer to check it over but this would either be a quick ECU check and if that was OK would be a case of leaving it with them all day or possibly overnight. SO is this normal or do I potentially have a problem? Thanks

mine is a 2009 verso 2.2 D4D, when cold it idles high like yours but as soon as the car starts moving the revs go back to normal. If I switch the climate control off it doesn't rev up.

p.s. Would of liked to have a look at your cupra, been looking for a good one for a while now!

Mike.

Ta. Shame about the Cupra, it was reg Jan 06 and I'd only done 18,000 miles. I guess the dealer has moved it on to a Seat franchise now. The other family car is a huge C8 but I can still get my kicks on my motorbike

Same behaviour from my Verso, 1,100 - 1,200 revs when cold settling to about 800 revs once warmed up. In the current outside temperatures (around 5 degrees C) that takes about 2 miles of driving (5 - 10 minutes). It is the cars computer controlling the electronic choke or a piece of software that says when engine temp is less than x set idle revs to y and when engine temp is greater than x set idle revs to z. Probably a bit more logic to it than that as it is checking air flow, throttle position, anti stall and numerous other sensors but you get the idea.

ta, I realise that all modern engines will idle faster when cold but I would expect it around 12-1400 and not 18-2000.

2,000 revs does seem a bit high, I think my Verso's idle speed was higher when new (not 2,000 but it is a diesel and the turbo starts to kick in around then) but reduced after the first few thousand miles.

Petrol engines do idle higher than the diesels from cold so dont worry about it. Like you've been told, as long as it settles down then everything is fine. The figures you've given are what i'd expect to see from cold start up.

Hope this helps.

ta, I realise that all modern engines will idle faster when cold but I would expect it around 12-1400 and not 18-2000.

I would agree Cearnshaw - 18-2000 does seems a tad high. 12-1500 max would be what I would expect to see and considering the weather could get colder it may get worse. Also remember the ECU will not only be increasing the idle speed but also enriching the fuel mix appropriately. Apart from economy - driving in slow moving traffic may prove difficult should the problem persist. Although it may require the vehicle to in the garage for a day it may be prudent to get it checked out - if only for peace of mind.:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links