Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Leaking In Boot

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi guys...

I own a 2001 Toyota avensis 1.8 SR Hatchback/Liftback. Purchased recently, so far, so good....Except for a rattling from inside my catalytic converter and a Battery that starts up fine most times and other hesitates and a ticking sound from my rear brakes when reversing...BUT more important is my wet boot! I noticed the side wells inside my boot are holding water that fill up and pour into the spare wheel well area. God knows where it's coming from. I removed the rear bumper thinking that it could only be coming in from the side air vent panels behind the bumper and so I sealed around them with a clear water proof sealant. Infact I even sealed the vents off themselves thinking I’d rather have a dry boot than air circulation! This made no difference at all, it's still leaking in from some where! I've heard the roof guttering may be the problem but after looking at them I just can't see how this could be the problem!!! I'm wondering if it could be the boot seal but it seems fine. Today I taped some carpet tape around the rear tail lights on the inside thinking THAT may be the problem as there is a gap between the light going into the boot, doubt that will work either! My question to you guys is...DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE LEAKS ARE COMING FROM??? It's driving me insane. I’ve owned a 1997 Carina CDX and never experienced this. Please help!!!!

Not sure what the Avensis is like but if it's a hatchback look at the little rubber boot that carries wiring into the tailgate at the top. This was the problem with my Yaris where it joins the body- took many hours to find. I've jammed it full of silicone. a cheap fix. Good luck, Mark.

Water leaks into the boot can be difficult to trace.

Try drying the boot as best you can. Sprinkle the floor with talcum powder and the give it gentle soaking from a hose starting at the bottom working upwards. Any water finding its way inside should leave a trail which you can follow. To test the seal itself you could try the old paper trick. Take a piece of paper about 1" wide (the outside glossy cover of a magazine is ideal) - place it beteween the seal and door as you close it - gently tug the paper and see if it is caught - work your way round the seal. If it fails to catch at any point then the seal is likely to be insufficient at that point.:)

Someone wrote in a German forum, with a similar Avensis hatchback/wagon problem.

After many failed sealing attempts, he found that the water was seeping in through the upper gas strut hinges, finding its way down to the boot.

Taking the hinges out and sealing them with Silicone solved the problem. :)

Try drying the boot as best you can. Sprinkle the floor with talcum powder and the give it gentle soaking from a hose starting at the bottom working upwards. Any water finding its way inside should leave a trail which you can follow. To test the seal itself you could try the old paper trick. Take a piece of paper about 1" wide (the outside glossy cover of a magazine is ideal) - place it beteween the seal and door as you close it - gently tug the paper and see if it is caught - work your way round the seal. If it fails to catch at any point then the seal is likely to be insufficient at that point.:)

Or .... shut the wife (Oops! or husband) in the boot with a flashlight and then get the hose pipe out!!!!! ;) When she screams out you will know where the leak is!!! :thumbsup:

Sorry girls ..... Pete.

EDIT!! I'm only joking everyone!! :fear:

Someone wrote in a German forum, with a similar Avensis hatchback/wagon problem.

After many failed sealing attempts, he found that the water was seeping in through the upper gas strut hinges, finding its way down to the boot.

It may sound like a daft question but could the water be getting in from below? Just before I bought my 2002 1.8VVT Avensis last March, I discovered the car had a very wet boot. Then I found out that the plug at the bottom of the spare wheel recess was missing and had been replaced by a piece of loose plastic. I think the dealer had given the underside of the car a good old washing with a pressure hose. I managed to get a rubber bung almost the correct size, made up the difference by winding gaffer tape around it and replaced it - so far, so good. (Fingers crossed, and not wishing to tempt fate!)

Hi guys,

I forgot to mention it is a HATCHBACK! But this gas strut hinge idea is very interesting, i would never have suspected them to be the cause! So what your'e saying is remove them completely...clean all ends...seal with water sealant...and replace??? By the way...gas struts are the things that hold up the boot lid right??? I'm loosing the plot, plus this ice cold snowy weather doesnt help! I found a nice chunk of ice in each well this morning, chipped it out for the hell sake of it! Just cant wait to find the real causes! Thanks guys.

Hi...some more interesting ideas...will def.try the talcum powder...and the old paper trick! You guys are the best!

If it is water only where the spare wheel is it is the rubber plugs in the bottom. I had water there before, but I smeared the plugs with vaseline so they became softer and now I don't have that problem anymore.

If the water is in the side wells the water gets in from somewhere else. My sister had those problems in her Avensis, but I can't remember where the water came from. I believe it was from the hinges, but I am not sure.

...remove them completely...clean all ends...seal with water sealant...and replace???

Yes, take the gas struts off and remove the hinges.

See what's inside the pillar, clean, let dry, seal and then replace.

...gas struts are the things that hold up the boot lid right??? I'm

Correct again, aka gas springs.

Be carefull when removing them, by perfectly securing the hatch in its opened position.

It's better to remove both springs at the same time so that you remember they are not there.

That hatch is a lot heavier than you might think! :ffs:

Hi guys...

I own a 2001 Toyota avensis 1.8 SR Hatchback/Liftback. Purchased recently, so far, so good....Except for a rattling from inside my catalytic converter and a battery that starts up fine most times and other hesitates and a ticking sound from my rear brakes when reversing...BUT more important is my wet boot! I noticed the side wells inside my boot are holding water that fill up and pour into the spare wheel well area. God knows where it's coming from. I removed the rear bumper thinking that it could only be coming in from the side air vent panels behind the bumper and so I sealed around them with a clear water proof sealant. Infact I even sealed the vents off themselves thinking I’d rather have a dry boot than air circulation! This made no difference at all, it's still leaking in from some where! I've heard the roof guttering may be the problem but after looking at them I just can't see how this could be the problem!!! I'm wondering if it could be the boot seal but it seems fine. Today I taped some carpet tape around the rear tail lights on the inside thinking THAT may be the problem as there is a gap between the light going into the boot, doubt that will work either! My question to you guys is...DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE LEAKS ARE COMING FROM??? It's driving me insane. I’ve owned a 1997 Carina CDX and never experienced this. Please help!!!!

Roof gutters are a common place for the leak. Check where the gutters come into the hatch aperture and you will see the seam, if you can see a definite crack line through the paint, it's a sure bet.. This seam opens very slightly and allows water to enter the pillars and it runs down between the panels and drips off into the boot corners. The seam goes all the way along the gutter channel but it is only the last inch or so that leaks. You will probably have to pry out the gutter trim in order to reseal it.

Search the forum for old topics on the subject too. Remember, water travels downhill under gravity. It is only if the leak is in direct firing line of the tyre that it comes upwards.

Quick edit, here's one of the older threads.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...p;hl=water+boot

Hi guys...

I own a 2001 Toyota avensis 1.8 SR Hatchback/Liftback. Purchased recently, so far, so good....Except for a rattling from inside my catalytic converter and a battery that starts up fine most times and other hesitates and a ticking sound from my rear brakes when reversing...BUT more important is my wet boot! I noticed the side wells inside my boot are holding water that fill up and pour into the spare wheel well area. God knows where it's coming from. I removed the rear bumper thinking that it could only be coming in from the side air vent panels behind the bumper and so I sealed around them with a clear water proof sealant. Infact I even sealed the vents off themselves thinking I’d rather have a dry boot than air circulation! This made no difference at all, it's still leaking in from some where! I've heard the roof guttering may be the problem but after looking at them I just can't see how this could be the problem!!! I'm wondering if it could be the boot seal but it seems fine. Today I taped some carpet tape around the rear tail lights on the inside thinking THAT may be the problem as there is a gap between the light going into the boot, doubt that will work either! My question to you guys is...DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE LEAKS ARE COMING FROM??? It's driving me insane. I’ve owned a 1997 Carina CDX and never experienced this. Please help!!!!

Ive recently been through this with my 54 plate Avensis hatch. Clean water in the well behind the rear wheel and a bit in the tyre well and very misty windows. After a few weeks driving round with no interior panels, I worked out that the holes where the hatch locator block and the gas ram bolt on were allowing water to seep in. Plumbers' LSX silicone sealant has fixed the problem and the recent cold weather has dried the car out and now I can SEE! Note: do prop the hatch fully open before you unbolt the gas ram.

Hi guys...

Ive recently been through this with my 54 plate Avensis hatch. Clean water in the well behind the rear wheel and a bit in the tyre well and very misty windows. After a few weeks driving round with no interior panels, I worked out that the holes where the hatch locator block and the gas ram bolt on were allowing water to seep in. Plumbers' LSX silicone sealant has fixed the problem and the recent cold weather has dried the car out and now I can SEE! Note: do prop the hatch fully open before you unbolt the gas ram.

54 plate is an entirely different body shape and will have leaks in different places to the 2001 model in the initial thread.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links